Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Gulf of Mexico
 Not a Member? 

Gulf of Mexico US Coastlines, excluding Florida

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2010
I Am, therefore I Sail

kpgraci is on a distinguished road
LA/MS barrier island sailing

Starting my long term plan for a sail from Lake Pontchartrain to Cat/Ship Island. Not very far as coastal cruising goes, but then I'm in a small boat and have limited experience. This is a ways off yet and I plan and becoming very familiar with the boat and sailing her in various condition prior to attempting this.

There will be overnight stops going into and out of Lake P, and a planed night on Cat Island (either tent or on ship). There will need a good weather window for the 3-4 day trip, and due diligence as to route, commercial traffic avoidance and appropriate preparation for when things go horrible wrong.

My question relates to the sea conditions for this journey. The route (following the ICW) essentially lies behind the string of barrier islands, which I assume, barring a storm, offers some protection from conditions in the open gulf.

I've seem videos from others that have made this trip and some of them look like they are sailing on glass.

Again, excepting a squall, does this route offer reasonably calm passage?
'73 ODay 22

If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (c. 4 BC - 65 AD)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2010
O'day 26

joeybkcmo is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a fun trip, think you will enjoy it, try doing a search on youtube for "sailing Lake Pontchartrain" you will come up with more than a few hits, and you may be able to make a contact that has sailed the same route.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-09-2011

eddie nelson is on a distinguished road
Kp have you made your trip yet? I would be interested in making the same.
Old 07-25-2011

thomasward00 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgraci View Post
Starting my long term plan for a sail from Lake Pontchartrain to Cat/Ship Island. Not very far as coastal cruising goes, but then I'm in a small boat and have limited experience. This is a ways off yet and I plan and becoming very familiar with the boat and sailing her in various condition prior to attempting this.

There will be overnight stops going into and out of Lake P, and a planed night on Cat Island (either tent or on ship). There will need a good weather window for the 3-4 day trip, and due diligence as to route, commercial traffic avoidance and appropriate preparation for when things go horrible wrong.

My question relates to the sea conditions for this journey. The route (following the ICW) essentially lies behind the string of barrier islands, which I assume, barring a storm, offers some protection from conditions in the open gulf.

I've seem videos from others that have made this trip and some of them look like they are sailing on glass.

Again, excepting a squall, does this route offer reasonably calm passage?

I will be purchasing either a 22 Catalina or O'Day in the near future, I'm in Slidell, but maybe in the Spring I would certainly be up for a sail to Ship Island.
Old 08-06-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Near the end of August I will be moving my new (to me) Hardin 45 from the Lake Pontchartrain via the ICW to the River then down to Venice and out Tiger pass going outside to Intercoastal City LA.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 08-07-2011

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
You must like doing the river.Might consider lake Borgne(sp),chandeler sound,battiste collett.marc
Old 08-17-2011

rats319 is on a distinguished road
Sounds interesting. Let me know when you decide on a date, if you want another boat along, i may be available. I have a 22 Mac, sailing out of New Orleans.
Old 08-18-2011

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
Near the end of August I will be moving my new (to me) Hardin 45 from the Lake Pontchartrain via the ICW to the River then down to Venice and out Tiger pass going outside to Intercoastal City LA.
There's been lots of flood gate work at Seabrook, with big cofferdam blocking access from the Lake into the Industrial Canal. You likely already know this, I'm just sayin' just in case. You may have to take the long way around via the Rigolets and ICW or Ostrica/Baptiste Collette if you're trying to get into the river above Venice.

No doubt I'm stating the obvious. Enjoy your trip!
Old 09-07-2011

SailorWade is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to SailorWade Send a message via Skype™ to SailorWade
Kpgraci, have you done your trip yet? You should be able to set yourself up to hop out the Rigolets and hit Cat Island on an easy day trip. I don't know what the draft on your boat is, but I'm guessing it's less than the 4.5 feet I draw. I've anchored up on the south side, but there is also a spot on the north side towards the east end to anchor. So fortunately you have two options based on wind conditions. If you want to go to Ship Island and check out the fort you can anchor on the north side. Horn Island is just past that if you still feel like sailing farther.

If you haven't done that trip yet, holler at me. I have 45 days vacation coming up from late September until the end of October. I plan on doing a bunch of sailing during that time so I'll be out there bouncing around the Mississippi Islands.

Boasun - I've been through Intercoastal City by way of Freshwater City. I broke a belt on my alternator while cutting across the Gulf from Galveston to Tiger Pass. There's definitely nothing back in there!
Old 11-18-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
There's been lots of flood gate work at Seabrook, with big cofferdam blocking access from the Lake into the Industrial Canal. You likely already know this, I'm just sayin' just in case. You may have to take the long way around via the Rigolets and ICW or Ostrica/Baptiste Collette if you're trying to get into the river above Venice.
Found a good slip at South Shore Harbor Marina next to Lakeside Airport on lake "P". Near the fore mentioned channel. When I finally can go outside to the Gulf it will be through Lake Borgne.
Hey! One reason for having a boat is to go places where We've never been before. Or as that Space Ranger says: To Infinity and Beyond!!

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture