SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gulf of Mexico (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gulf-mexico/)
-   -   Marina, Lafayette, LA area? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gulf-mexico/68641-marina-lafayette-la-area.html)

Boasun 09-28-2010 09:59 AM

Marina, Lafayette, LA area?

Does anyone know of a Marina close to Lafayette??

messenger 09-28-2010 10:36 PM

Boasun,

I used to use a marina up the Vermillion River at Intracoastal City(ICY), during deliveries, called Danny Richards...as in REE CHARDS, about a mile up from the intersection at the 157 mile board Danny Richard Marina in LA, United States east of ICY (ICY is at the 160 mile board, WHL..west of Harvey Locks). After that on the ICW headed east, nothing all the way to Morgan City..100 mile board (and those are city docks..as in temp), , unless you want to get up into Erath and Delcombe west of Avery Island (Bayou Petite Anse)..maybe a few docks...but dont leave anything more than an portable air horn aboard, .......to the west Lake Arthur and the old 193 boat store.......yacht boats used to tie up at Shell Morgan for a night or two in ICY at the 159 board again...not sure of their facilities after Rita...., but dont expect much sleep you will be listening to 6 engine crewboats, towboats, etc.. all night long...Shell Morgan Landing Inc in LA, United States ...no such thing as a 1star, much less a 5 star marina...place is 100% oilfield, pogy, and shrimp... but back in the 80s, ICY was a cool place to tie up for ONE night only, either at Danny's or Shell Morgan.....Maxie Pierce's had the best steak on the ICW west of Harvey Locks all the way to the Rio Grande....LONG TIME AGO and LONG GONE... something may be available up Bayou Teche, which you enter at the Berwick locks about a mile or so up the Atchafalaya from its junction with the ICW at Morgan City...again, my info may be a bit dated....in short...no Bahia Mar's or Marina Del Reys...best bet would try to find a private dock behind someone's residence on Bayou Teche, maybe Craigslists or something like that, IMHO, depending how close you want to get to Lafayette...

vintageray 10-20-2010 12:23 AM

I've heard there is mooring at a place called Sycamore Point. I haven't found it yet, but it's supposed to be near New Iberia. Someone told me there are sail boats there. If I find anything out, I post it here.

MARC2012 10-20-2010 06:27 PM

Cypermort point,bayview marina.337 8674366,cell 3375199495.Nice marina,small store.If intrersted will give directions.marc

vintageray 10-21-2010 06:10 AM

Marc, No wonder I couldn't find Sycamore Point.:o

MARC2012 10-21-2010 06:47 AM

It is in vermillion bay,aprox 6 mi s of 141 mile board gicw.Not spelled as sounds.marc

eddie nelson 07-09-2011 04:30 PM

Id stay away from Morgan City. They dont like outsiders there. The people are unfriendly. They are nothing like the Lafayette and southwest side of the state people.

vintageray 07-09-2011 05:45 PM

eddie, the cutural influence in the Houma, Morgan City area is more of the "Creole of color" culture than the Cajun culture along the I 10 corridor. They are a little less accessable and not real outgoing toward strangers.

eddie nelson 07-09-2011 06:18 PM

You can say that again. We went boating down there a couple of years ago and was not welcome there. I guess they never seen a Crownline run their waters before. We are use to the people around the tickfaw and lake maurepas area and they love to have fun and meet new people. I will say one thing about the Morgan city area, they have some of the most beautiful bayous you have ever seen!

herezjohnny 07-15-2011 03:53 PM

where are you from Eddie? you are talking about boating in my neck of the woods.