Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Gulfstar
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2008

funsailthekeys is on a distinguished road
Smile Hirsch gulfstar 45

Thought I might be the first. We bought our boat from the original owner who bought it when he retired. We were lucky enough to get all the sales brochures and line drawings as well as a picture of the boat the day it left the factory on a trailer. I must say it is so much fun. It's fast and roomy. I have seen ads of this model all over the world. If there are any questions that I might help with, please just ask.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2008
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road
I've been watching 1 of these in the NE a while now. Searched for info on it and near as I could tell only 30 were build and there wasn't a lot of info out there on them. So now that you have had it a while, what do you think?

Last edited by Don0190; 08-11-2008 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-11-2008

We love ours! For us it's the perfect boat. We like to take long distance crusies and are gone for a long stretch at a time. We don't use marinas often so all the stowage is great. Lots of water (150 gals.) and fuel (100 gals.). Very roomy and easy to single hand.
Old 08-26-2008

jmeskauskas is on a distinguished road
A bit more info, please

I'm interested in this model but find the number of Gulfstar reviews to be almost nil. Why?

What is the Hirsch connection?

Where was the factory?

Does your boat have blisters, or has it had blisters?

I've seen a Gulfstar 44 which has a soft section of cabin floor in the interior passage to the aft cabin. I searched the cabin structures above it all the way up to an opening port right above it but found nothing soft. Any thoughts?

What is the quality and thickness of the hull layup and how did it perform in the largest seas you've experienced so far?

Thanks a lot

John
Old 08-26-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
The Hirsch group was a charter organization mainly out of the Virgin Islands. They ordered boats to their specifications for the charter trade both from Irwin and Gulfstar. The boats were production quality and designed for coastal and caribe cruising much like the Moorings/Beneteaus are today. These are not blue water boats but fine live aboard cruising boats that sail decently, have good tankage, excellent space and good prices in the market. They are built from the same hull molds that supported the non-hirsch versions of the brand but often have different tankage and accomodation arrangements.
Old 08-26-2008

Depends what you want in a boat.

There are two things of many that define a blue water boat accepted by marine architects, one being the vessel has an up swung bow for reserve buoyancy on heavy seas and another being small ports to withstand crashing waves. On this alone you could remove many boats from the list that others would swear were blue water. If you want a boat that can safely withstand a tropical storm, then a Hirsh/Gulfstar 45 will work. It has sturdy rigging, full hull spider and well tabbed in bulkheads. It's heavy, (28,000 lbs) just what you want for open sea travel. And it is fairly fast under sail,(7-8knts). The real question is not if it's a blue water boat, (because most answers are opinion),it's are you a blue water sailor. A good sailor can take most anyboat anywhere. I have been in 50+ kt winds without damage in the Old Bahama Channel. I will post some pictures on my picture site here. The waves are big and ugly. For a size comparison, there is one where we are passed by The Majesty of the seas cruise ship and it is ugly out.
Old 08-28-2008
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the posting. Digging around in the www I have found lots of the options/stories on the boat. This why I asked you to start with. So far I have managed to track down only 2 people who have acturally had a 45' HIRSCH and both have given it great reviews. I give more weight to 1 post by an owner/past owner than 20 of the others. Near as I can tell these look to be great boats that under rated and valued.
Old 08-30-2008

tlcpaulie is on a distinguished road
I Found 2 of these boats in Oriental north Carolina very impressed any one know ware I can find the specs on the 45' Gulf Stair Hirsch
Old 08-30-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Two of them are on yachtworld. Yachtworld specs say:
Builder/Designer
Builder: Gulfstar Designer: Richard Lazzara Dimensions
LOA: 45' LWL: 35' 6" Beam: 13' 2" Displacement: 26000 Lbs Draft: 5' 4" Ballast: 9500 Lbs Engines
Engine(s): Perkins Engine(s) HP: 50 HP Engine Model: 4-108 Cruising Speed: 6.5 Kts Max Speed: 7.5 Kts Tankage
Fuel: 54 Gal Water: 140 Gal Holding: 2 tanks
Old 08-31-2008

tlcpaulie is on a distinguished road
Any thing on mast hight? thanks
Paul