SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Helms 24 and new sailor progress

5K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  markph0204 
#1 ·
Thought I'd share some of the details since acquiring the Helms 24' last fall. Still parked on Lake Lanier, GA...

I'd estimate we've taken out the boat ~30 times - yes even over the winter - girlfriend donned ski pants and warm clothing - we were out both Jan 1st and 2nd to start off the new year. This winter was fortunately a mild and short one.

Up the mast once - a neighbor helped get me up there and I installed the wind indicator. Inspection looked good. Wind indicator needs retightening as during the last unusual sailing day on the lake - it loosened. I'm thinking a better lock nut and lock washer on both sides?

I doubled both a climbing harness on one halyard and bosun chair attached to other halyard. As I had replaced both lines - I still wasn't quite confident in only going up on a single line w/o some inspection up top.

Waiting for warmer lake water to go under and clean bottom. Thinking about hauling in fall for possible inspection/repaint. I've heard not to swim under boat near marina - due to any possible electricity leak.

Try to get out to the boat every weekend depending on kids plans. If the day isn't windy - its a work day - and I (or we) knock off something on our list.

The biggest trouble so far was the Honda 7.5 HP outboard. Took it off over the winter and serviced everything on a homebuilt engine stand in the garage at home. Since bringing back - the motor starts fine - but still had a few issues stalling. Switched gas - improvements made - still had issues.

Finally after the gas tank and line were leaking gas inside cockpit - girlfriend wouldn't hear of it - went and replaced fuel tank and line. Determined the lack of pressure in the fuel line was causing the issue. After a good warmup - motor ran fine the entire time w/o issue. And no more gas leaks inside cockpit - I'm in better standing with girlfriend again.

Having the motor run much better is a confidence booster. But now after having docked several times - I really don't get as concerned as those first few times docking.

Always check the winds upon departure for possible non-motor sail plan departure - and soon will be a tiller tamer so I can set the sails on solo runs.

I have noticed my hanks on main sail like to get caught when raising and need a bit of help by hand. Its right above the removable plate/panel on mast. The same one I removed when I took the main sail off.

I need to order a few new battens as well for main - or cut to fit with large stock piece. Maybe next no wind day.

Wasn't sure what the boat would afford us - but it has been amazing to spend time sailing and working on. Its our learning/practice boat for more bigger steps.

Have covered/read a lot of books - really enjoy the finer art of sailing - finally found the books that answered the sail trim questions I had asked our ASA instructors.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well done! Sounds like a pretty solid start! And summer is just around the corner.

Reactions: markph0204
#3 ·
Sailed a H24 once they are quick and responsive. Im not sure what your concern of Electrical leaks are, we and lots of others dive and clean bottoms in the slip all the time, I wouldn't swim under a dock, that's where the danger is you don't want to contact any voltage lines in the water don't be a conductor. Going up the stick on a small Boat can be fun tighten all the dock lines real good and hope your tailer holds still.

#5 ·
Sounds good. There's no substitute for mileage & 30 days is a good amount of time out. Next time you go up I'd skip the bosun's chair. The climbing harness is the last thing you need to worry about failing, and having the extra complication of the bosun's chair is asking to get a line tangled or the like. No reason you can't tie both halyards to the climbing harness.

#6 ·
Its been awhile since I've updated the Helms 24 and our adventures on Lake Lanier, GA.

• compass was replaced
  • handholds, companion way doors and all wood sanded and varnished
  • I learned to raise the jib/Genoa off the deck with a short "line" - what a difference this made in increasing visibility under the foot and less likely to catch on stanchion as well
  • I'm finding the groove with the boat on all points of sail. I've really become interested in the lightest days with just playing with the main sail - reviewing all sail trim information and trying again on the boat. I consider these "original" sails are worn out, but I am having fun playing.
  • I have grown more comfortable solo sailing and have been out by myself about 50% of the time now
  • I can feel the boat find its groove with almost no rudder input when I trim it out just right - I recall when first starting we would constantly fight the weather helm
  • we've been up the mast again as the set screw on the wind indicator was loose; so we took down repaired with locktite and reinstalled; we have a system down for getting up and down the mast safely
  • repaired lighting up the mast and connectors, all lights are working with exception of steaming light - someone wired in both mast and steaming light into same wire - I will need to step the mast one day and re-run all wiring in mast
  • I've cleaned topside - I see a painting project in my future - but looks great cleaned
  • I see a haul out happening with bottom clean, inspection and sand/paint - for the learning experience :)
  • motor acted up again at the turn of the year; replaced the fuel filter and it purrs like a kitten once more
  • on a solo departure (very windy day) I was leaving dock solo - and a knot formed at the end of the line. I didn't see it and it was the ONLY time I didn't grab all lines before backing away as there was a lot to do, thought I would grab it once I was clear of things. Well as you might imagine it didn't let go and I was stuck and pinned in an awkward position - fortunately a passerby was called in to release the line and I was underway. A knife was my next option. We will learn - even if the hard way. I had thought to myself not pulling all the lines is a dumb idea...

Lots of great experiences...

Attachments

#7 ·
Last year I had the mast down and did some electrical work . I got rid of the spreader deck lights and steamer light . Replaced it with a combo deck-steamer (LED) light that I got from Defender Marine .
Hey Mark , that is a good looking boat it reminds me of our first boat a O'Day 23 .

#9 · (Edited)
Deck / steamer Forespar ML-2 LED Combination Deck / Steaming Light
Our boat originally was set up pretty light happy , mast head tricolor / strobe / anchor / spreader deck lights and a steamer . The wiring after 35+ yrs. was shot and so were the light fixtures not only that every fixture was held down with a SS sheet metal screw . Those screws were reacting badly with the alum. I replaced them with brass , this was done about a year and a half ago and I'm not getting the dissimilar metal bubbles in the paint anymore .
I think I know what you mean by under power only ? Well not really . On our boat one switch turns on port/star bow and one for running , I would have one switch do all three but that's just how it was set up . One switch for the deck light and one for the steamer . And when we anchor at night I hoist a lantern that has a rechargeable batt . From Sailnet I learned that when you are using nav lights you have on either masthead or deck not both .

#10 ·
That's helpful - thank you!

re: Under power only - I meant that my light configuration works only for running my motor "under power". The masthead light works, but oddly my anchor light atop the mast does not and there is only one pair wire coming down which leads me to believe someone abandoned operating the anchor light long ago.

I'm referring to diagram included.

I think stepping the mast is something I'd like to do when the wind dies this summer and rerun the wiring.

Attachments

#11 ·
I didn't step the mast -- but did find out where the wiring came down out of the mast under the boat and into the bilge -- needed to be replaced. The splicing work had corroded beyond repair. Simple fix. Now all mast lights are working.

The bilge cover - wooden was splitting in two -- I built a new one out of oak and varnished it. Will post a pic once I get out to the boat and grab a few pics with its new bilge cover.

The boat is in need of serious cleaning -- and the wooden handrails and other all need sanding and varnishing again!

Had the boat out one week ago -- perfect summer sail down and back up the lake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.