SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

New bimini is delivered

6K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Wayne25 
#1 ·
I got confirmation my new bimini was delivered at my friend's place near where I dock KJ. I'm going down this weekend to install it. I'm using side mounts on the outside of the combing, just before the companionway bulkhead so I can reach the through bolts from the underside of the combing. I'm going to use teak backing plates and large SS fender washers for strength.
The top ended up to be 5' long, 73-78" wide, and 42" high. The out to out of the combing edges is 73", so that should be a good fit. This model bimini allows it to be cut down a bit if it is too high for my liking. I got the all SS upgrade with oyster Sunbrella. It comes with a free boot. I'll take some pics if all goes well.

#3 ·
The company is GMI TOP DESIGN, a Canadian Company. They were very good to deal with had a competitive price at $490 US including boot and shipping. I hope this reflects on the quality of their work. Yes, I got the all Stainless Steel upgrade with a SS quick release mounting attachment.

#4 ·
Same company I plan on getting mine from. Please let me know, how it turns out.

Paul

#6 ·
The bimini went on this weekend. Over all I was pleased with the quality. The SS bows are joined in the center for shipping and everything was predrilled and lined up correctly. Directions were multi paged but descriptions of color coding and parts description could have been better. They gave all the necessary hardware for most type of installations. I bought the SS quick release hardware and was pleased with the low profile and mechanism.
I didn't have my camera, but will take some pictures this weekend.

#8 ·
Helms 25 bimini installation.

I took some pictures of the new bimini with KJ at the dock. The boom actually is about 6" above the bimini with the sails up and everything clears. The pictures also show the storage position on deck. I found Oyster Sunbrella matches our gelcoat color very well.

#9 ·
Thanks for the pictures looks like a good installation. I would like to install mine a little further back to shade more of the cockpit.

#10 ·
My mainsheet block and jam cleat are at the end of my boom so that is as far back as I could go. It covers the open companionway for rain and shades the first seat next to the companionway where my wife usually sits. That was our main concern.

#11 ·
Wayne,
My main sheet traveler is aft same as yours, that's why I only put up my bimini when at anchor or motoring. I am working on adding a dodger to correct that issue by moving the main sheet forward and using the secondary winches to travel.

Take care of th' Admiral for sure. My bride often uses a throwable PFD and rests in the companionway, it's a cool seat when heeling.
David

#13 ·
I actually prefer to sail with the bimini down. But my wife wants to stay out of the sun. We use to move a beach umbrella on each tack to a PVC pipes wire tied to the stations on either side of the companionway. It actually worked well until the wind got over 15 kts. Then it would tend to turn inside out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.