Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Helms
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009

jumaggafanny is on a distinguished road
masthead nekid

I think you'll find all kind of "fun facts" I've dealt with the assymetrical issue.

I have seen the catalina 22 and I don't want that type.
Look up the Telstar trimaran, several A-frames and yokes make a smooth stepping, but I'm just not that cool.
I already stress over that damn sailtrack, mine gets more lubing than I do! I didn't see wedging beneath th' hand holds as positive as stanchion base, I feel I have good control and allows for the torque. I used my 1/4" Spinoa halyard since it's hung outboard on a bale, I need to clear a midmast radar reflector. I'm gonna hang the antlers on her when it stops raining. This is a pix of the masthead, bale, side block is for the topping lift. I end up with 4 line aloft, there is also a st.stl. strap beneath the masthead crane, I use a Hood 705 and this strap/guide prevents "issues" with the roller and doesn't interfere at all w/Main halyard.
Attached Thumbnails
Chimera mast-chimera-nekid-masthead.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2009

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
David:
I meant the mast slot Aframe to be in addition to the stanchion Aframe. I'll look up the Telstar info for ideas.

Do you have a PVC conduit going up the outside of your mast? For wiring I presume. Nice idea, easy access. I hope you added another 1000# of ballast for all that stuff up there :-)
1976 #552
Old 03-16-2009
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
I kept my mast stepping system very simple. I used a 10' 2x6 gin pole and an extension ladder for a mast crutch at the stern. I then simply used a line run from the end of the gin pole through a snap block on the bow and back to the jib sheet winch and hoisted her up. It's definately a two person job (one on the winch, one steadying the mast) and easier with 3, but it was actually much less difficult than I imagined.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-16-2009

That is the foil for the roller furling, kind of relaxed on the forestay.
I've always had the admiral assist with the stepping. Gustav made me reconsider my ways during "gusty" conditions. 12 years of doin' it one way and I'm changing it. I really hope to step the stick more often since I want to drag her around behind my dog.
linkey... Telstar Mast Raising - A Patented System
Old 03-20-2009

and more mast

Adding the antlers,
masthead nav/anchor w/antenna and windex. masthead light is carved out and modified to have a 1/4" clear (now yellowed) plexiglass top w/VHF antenna and windex. the plexi is to let out some light to illuminate wndex.
behind that I built a wing to lower everything ese below lights.is the rotovecta wind cups for the Raytheon St-40 and the rabbits foot of the industry a negative ion lightning protection device. May be a rabbits foot but it's MY rabbits foot.
This is hanging with max moment load, no sweat, but there isn't "gusty" conditions that started this mod.
Attached Thumbnails
Chimera mast-antlers-.jpg