Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Helms
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
I get what you're saying David. I sometime use the tiller on my outboard to manuever when I'm in a tight marina. However, if it was linked to the rudder I wouldn't be able to turn the outboard nearly as far and I'd lose manueverabilty. My point is, I don't think you're doing yourself any favors by attaching the two.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kwaltersmi; 03-12-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2009

jumaggafanny is on a distinguished road
older Helms better

I have made it a point to continually ask each (interrogate) owners about their Helms. I believe that the oldest or first built Helms boats were build for racing perhaps more than cruising. It's just my belief that Jack (an olympic sailor) built his boats to race, as a builder he was also subject to the pressure of the buyer. The later models included a galley, sometimes a pop-top cabin complete with camping tent and other itmes to make his racer more appealing to the family (read wife) sailor.
The earlier boats (25'ers) drained the cockpit from the front of the cockpit, later drains were located close to the stern. I have located my Helms (75) alongside Odalisque (73) and the hulls appeared to be exactly the same, I only viewed them, I didn't measure them in detail. I know that the Port & Stbd. hull lines of mine aren't exactly mirrored, my lifelines are different lengths, the rubrails are different lengths.
David
Old 05-05-2009

philo13 is on a distinguished road
Add me to the list. I just bought the 1979 25 that had been listed in the Indy Craigslist.

Hull Number 620 - December 1979

The rod connecting the tiller to the obm is only for use when under motor. It is easily detached when under sail.
Old 05-06-2009
Broad Reachin'

philo13 - Welcome to Sailnet and our little Helms family. When you get a chance post some pictures of your new boat. Where will you be sailing and keeping the boat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-06-2009

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
philo13:

Welcome to our Helms site. Almost an "80". We learn a little more about our boats every day. It will be interesting to see what changes were made in the late 70's. Yes, post lots of pictures.
1976 #552
Old 05-07-2009

Thanks for the welcome. for this year, at least throught the familiarization phase, the boat will stay at Monroe reservoir south of Bloomington, IN.

I've been reading Kevin's blog, and it looks like I'll want to ttry some "big water" sailing on Lake Michigan eventually, but we're not ready for that yet. As near as I can tell from your pictures, the main change is a shorter v berth and the addition of a head (toilet w/ holding tank and sink) on the port side and a hanging locker opposite on the starboard. The boat is generally in good shape, a little weeping at the junction between the fiberglass and the plastic tube for the swing keel cable (what is this called), and the windows apparently need to be pulled out aand reinstalled to fix the rainwater leaks. Also the motor mount seems a bit wobbly where it attaches to the stern - I may need to beef that up some.

I'll post pictures when I get a chance to take some. We purchased it Tuesday night - dead calm - and had to motor it to our marina. Almost dark by then, and raining ever since.
Old 05-07-2009

Philo13:
I think we all have been through the window resealing repair. let us know when your going to do that project and we can tell you what works and what doesn't work.
I looked for some engine bracket pictures. Here is what I could find quickly. It is the original engine mount. I was able to find the original manufacturer and he is still in business. Unfortunately he no longer makes the bracket or has parts for the bracket.

For the cable, there usually is a 1/2" copper or bronze tee fitting glassed into the top of the trunk. The horizontal opening has the sink vinyl tube hose clamped to it. The top opening has the cable coming out of it. There is a short section of 7/8" vinyl hose clamped to that opening and about halfway to the winch there is a piece of 1/2" vinyl hose slid into the 7/8" hose ( pressure fit) and stops at the base of the winch. I'm not sure where your leak is. I don't have any leaks in this area.
1976 #552
Old 05-07-2009
Broad Reachin'

I permanently sealed off the sink drain with a rubber cork, 5200 and a copper cap. I didn't like having a possible leak associated with a feature (sink) I wasn't going to use. I removed the sink entirely and turned the space into a storage locker.

My boat only has a single upper vinyl hose, not the two that Wayne described. I also do not have any leaks in this area.

Old 05-07-2009

My sink drains to a gollon jug. The sink drain hose on the "T" is just doubled over and tied off. I plan to do away with it. As for the bronze or copper "T" I can't even see it under multiple layers of silicone.

I plan to yank that all off and redo the whole shebang. While silicone makes a good caulk or gasket material, it is a lousy topping material. That's where the leak is. Just a minor weeping where water infiltrates between layers of caulk.

Thanks for the pics of the obm mount. That's the exact one I've got. I don't think I need any replacement parts, I just need to beef up or maybe just tighten the through hull attachment. That is where the play seems to be.

We're still trying to come up with a name - the usual problems, not too goofy and not too common. So far the list of possibles is getting longer not shorter.

Phil
Old 05-07-2009

Don't rush into the name. You'll know it's the one when you hear it. Also, imagine calling the CG with the name you choose. I actually saw a boat named Mayday. What was he thinking, or not.

I think the only place for silicone on a boat is around glass or some plastics that aren't compatible with anything else. Since that area has silicone on it, it has contaminated everything it was on, so now nothing will stick to it. You'll have to grind down to some new material to reseal.
1976 #552