SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Who has the newest Helms 25

14K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  NJAYNES 
#1 ·
I think I remember seeing an owner writing about his 1977, but I'm not sure. I don't know when Jack Helms stopped production of the Helms 25. It would be interesting to know, at least to me.:)

#27 ·
Where is the hull number located? Our new baby has an aluminum tag inside the transom that had black painted lettering 'Jack A Helms Company', Then some unreadable text ending with Sailboat in almost a cursive font. Under that is 'COLUMBIA, SC and stamped into the aluminum itself in about 3/8" fine numbers is the number '25'. Thought that was the length since she is a 25'. Anyone know it it is length or hull number?

#28 ·
Hello,

We have been trying to find someone who could tell us where the hull number is on the '72s that don't have hull ID on the outside starboard transom. We have a '72 Helms 25 with the hull ID only on the title, but there is a tag INSIDE the transom with the number '25' stamped into the right lower corner. The balance of the text on the tag is printed on with black paint and reads 'Jack A Helms Company - ONE-Design Sailboat - Columbia, S. C.' Is your hull number on the inside transom tag?

#30 ·
I just purchased my first boat yesterday which just happens to be a Helms 25. If i'm reading the hull number correctly (JAH004700674) then she is hull #47 built in 1974. She's in very good condition for her age, apparently she was in the middle of a restoration when her owner died. She has a new bottom job including the keel (i can't see the whole thing, she's on a trailer and i have no way to lift her) which is pitted somewhat but not terribly so. She even has her original sails, 1 main, 1 jib, and 1 genoa (i don't know the size) and they're all in good condition especially considering the boat is 40 years old.

Attachments

#31 ·
Our Helms 25 currently being restored slowly has a title ending in '72' and the little metal tag inside the port rear wall of the cockpit has a barely legible '25' stamped into the metal. She has some rusty steel punchings in her keel area that have leaked out through the outside hull, but we have dried the area thoroughly and think we can effect a repair. Have replaced the main bulkhead with aluminum plate and are beginning work on the soft deck on the bow. She will be a comfy gunkholer when we get it all done.

#32 ·
We are as well, but it is a 1972. Our bottom job was not done, we are working on it slowly. Our quandary now is whether ours is a Dolphin 25 or a Helms 25. Sailboat Data says there is a significant difference in the amount of ballast between the two. It also says the Dolphin was first built in 1968 and the Helms 25 was first built in 1974. So we need to know whether ours is Dolphin or Helms. It has the Jack A. Helms metal tag inside the port rear cockpit wall. Hoping Sailboat Data made an error in their stated ballast weight. If anyone knows how we can differentiate the two, would greatly appreciate the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.