Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Helms
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2008

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
Who has the newest Helms 25

I think I remember seeing an owner writing about his 1977, but I'm not sure. I don't know when Jack Helms stopped production of the Helms 25. It would be interesting to know, at least to me.
1976 #552
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2008
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Wayne - There are two currently being advertised for sale as 1978's. See the links here: 1978 Helms 25 - Boatsville.com New and Used Helms 25 Boats For Sale. The #1 Source for Helms 25s and s

and here: Helms 25 sailboat for sale

Interestingly, I have yet to find anyone with a lower hull number than mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-10-2009
Broad Reachin'

Well, I just received a comment on my blog from someone who has a lower hull number than mine. Apparently, hull number 22 is still in service!

Also, I just noticed that a 1979 was listed on the Indianapolis Craigslist site: 1979 Helms 25' Sailboat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kwaltersmi; 03-10-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-10-2009

Kevin:
Those two are the oldest and newest I know of. Is yours a 74 or 73 (last number in your serial on the transom). That's a great price for a 79 with a trailer if everything is in good shape. Plus a fresh water boat. I wonder if they were produced into the 80's? I think Jack Helms made his other models into the 80's.
I think I'll kid my wife and tell her I found a 79 Helms 25 and want to upgrade. Road trip! I don't know if you remember, but I drove from Philly to Ill to by KJ. How did you get Craigslist out of your area? Is there a national listing for all states?
1976 #552
Old 03-10-2009

Did you see the steering set up on the 76 in Craigslist? He has a connecting rod from the rudder to the aft of the outboard to steer the outboard with the rudder and tiller. I saw this on a boat at the Annapolis Boat Show and is way down on my to do list.
1976 #552
Old 03-10-2009
Broad Reachin'

My boat doesn't have a serial number because I believe it was produced prior to 1973, when they were required. The title work says that it's a 1972, which makes it 3 years older than me!

I found the Indy Craigslist H25 by googling, though you can go to any of the national/international Craigslist sites. Unfortunately, CL doesn't have a full system wide search function yet.

The picture in the CL ad isn't sharp enough resolution for me to make out the details of the outboard motor/rudder attachment, but it's an interesting idea. However, I find that my boat steers equally well under power with just the rudder or just the outboard. I prefer to simply use the rudder since the tiller is much more convenient than the outboard's tiller. I'm not sure what the advantage is of attaching the two together.

Last edited by kwaltersmi; 03-10-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-10-2009

western is on a distinguished road
Helms

I know that the helms 27 and 30 were built in 83. I'm not sure about the 25's
Old 03-10-2009

western:
Welcome to the Helms site. Sounds like you were or are an owner.
1976 #552
Old 03-11-2009

jumaggafanny is on a distinguished road
motor to rudder link

Kevin,
I often reach over the transome to manipulate the tiller arm on my outboard in really tight turns. I back into my dock, so the setting sun can shine on Mr. Mildew, just part of my never ending battle. I'm forced to make a 180 deg turn to do this and also must keep my mast out of the trees. At slow speeds and absent of high wind I can make almost "tank-turns" in the narrow waterway. I have unfortunately managed to impact the propeller with the rudder like this, Umm, not good. Backing down the rudder has a lot of force against it, Opps..But other than this I have found leaving the motor locked straight and steering via rudder is fine. It's very evident if the motor is slightly turned, I can't release the tiller for a second.

I wouldn't like the drag/resistance of a permanently attached link of my Honda to the rudder. My rudder is balanced (part of the surface is forward of the vertical axis line) and I "read" the resistance on the tiller by feel to determine if I have encountered shallow water, it kicks up and effort to steer is increased. I think it may also mask the signs of weather helm.

If your engine is tilted and the mount is lifted the prop should be well clear of the water when sailing, no need for full time linkage. I see this rig often on sport fish boats, linking the trolling motor to outdrive so th' Capt' can steer via his wheel.
Old 03-11-2009

jumaggafanny is on a distinguished road
motor to rudder link

I have to have access to the motor since I don't have remote controls for starting/stopping/shifting or throttle. I often reach over the transom to manipulate the tiller arm on my outboard in really tight turns. I back into my dock, so the setting sun can shine on Mr. Mildew, just part of my never ending battle. I'm forced to make a 180 deg turn to do this and also must keep my mast out of the trees. At slow speeds and absent of high wind I can make almost "tank-turns" in the narrow waterway. I have unfortunately managed to impact the propeller with the rudder like this, Umm, not good. Backing down the rudder has a lot of force against it, Opps..But other than this I have found leaving the motor locked straight and steering via rudder is fine. It's very evident if the motor is slightly turned, I can't release the tiller for a second.

I wouldn't like the drag/resistance of a permanently attached link of my Honda to the rudder. My rudder is balanced (part of the surface is forward of the vertical axis line) and I "read" the resistance on the tiller by feel to determine if I have encountered shallow water, it kicks up and effort to steer is increased. I think it may also mask the signs of weather helm.

If your engine is tilted and the mount is lifted the prop should be well clear of the water when sailing, no need for full time linkage. I see this rig often on sport fish boats, linking the trolling motor to outdrive so th' Capt' can steer via his wheel.