Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Helms
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2009

jumaggafanny is on a distinguished road
I looked for my old source of Sampson on Ebay and failed to find it. I purchased a 600 spool of Sampson double braid. I made all halyards, Main, Jib, stay'sl, Spinnaker and topping lift. I had over 160 ft left over that I use in a 4:1 tackle that when I hoist to the mast head allows me to hoist my bones aloft. I also use this rig to step my mast. I don't have wire to rope on the lines at all.
I've got dim's for the rudder somewhere, I'll start digging. Chimera's rudder is total custom, balanced w/trim tab so it's of no use to pattern, somewhere I have a drawing of original...I'll look.
Is your boat a pop top model? Does your cockpit drain to forward scuppers that are then routed aft beneath the cockpit?
Have you walked/stepped on the foredeck and coach roof looking for potential soft spots? I know of 2 that have suffered some soft core issues that were repaired. I was suspect of any and all fastners wicking water to core, so I drilled em' all. Of over 200 1" dia. holes I found discolored wood core only beneath the stbd. winch. Improper fastening and bedding will allow water to wick down and destroy the boat in stealth mode.

David
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2009

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
Yes, that's the wire terminal. The PO had 2 half hitches tied and were so tight I couldn't un-tie them but i did seize the end for security. You could tie a bowline and seize the end. I will eventually put a splice around the terminal.
1976 #552
Old 02-11-2009

d3lphi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumaggafanny View Post
I looked for my old source of Sampson on Ebay and failed to find it.
Here is one source I found. Guess I'll have to get a fid and start practicing my splicing technique.

Quote:
I've got dim's for the rudder somewhere, I'll start digging. Chimera's rudder is total custom, balanced w/trim tab so it's of no use to pattern, somewhere I have a drawing of original...I'll look.
Thanks! I'm in the process of rebuilding my rudder, assembly and tiller...

Quote:
Is your boat a pop top model?
She is not a pop-top, just sliding hatch

Quote:
Does your cockpit drain to forward scuppers that are then routed aft beneath the cockpit?
yes the drains are on either side of the companionway and drain aft

Quote:
Have you walked/stepped on the foredeck and coach roof looking for potential soft spots?
I have been on the foredeck and have noticed what could be described as soft spots... Are these a major concern? The are on either side of the centerline which seems more firm...
1973 #350
Lake Grapevine, TX
Old 02-11-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
d3 the soft spots aren't too bad if they're not rotting through or around the chainplates. I've just started recoring my boat. A ton of work.

I'd recommend learning to splice. A great skill to have, and you'll never have to pay the outrageous price a rigger charges for pre-made halyards. Just make sure the line you're using can be spliced. Some smaller lines cannot be due to their braid, or lack there of, like parallel braid core.
Old 02-12-2009

I'm usually hitting the foredeck hard and at a run,trying to fend off etc. you know failure to plan ahead....so if you're not a fat ass the deck may be all right (for now). Roberto did a foredeck job on his Helms 25 ODALISQUE a few years ago, removing inner layer above V-berth. I had some crappy phone pix of his repairs somewhere. Jamming wood wedge pieces up to hold from below as he relaminated. By doing that repair from inside he saved the gelcoat etc. on foredeck.
Howz your standing rigging? (forestay, split back stay and upper single and double lower shrouds) Look for broken wires (meathooks) kinks and corrosion signs around swages. If you determine ANY of your wire swages are to be replaced please try to use sintered copper swage NOT aluminum, eh. Just no future in alum in this application, regardless what Worst Marine says.

Once you open the sailbags and inspect the sails please let me know. Determine if they are original sails and if repairs are required. On the head sail, look where the spreaders wear on fabric. Get em' out, measure em' wash em' and learn how to fold em' for storage. I keep mine in 48qt igloo coolers, since igloos' won't really hold ice.
I'm like a terrified elephant around mice...fearing they want to chew into the sail for a winter snuggly, eating their way thru several layers, EEK!!
I will do some sail repairs for you free if we can determine what is required. I'm not really up for re-cuts and luff replacementsright now, just repairs. I have 1 recut waiting for Chimera already...
email me David@the-flex.com I have some parts left over from my many rebuild projects. interior wood trim, cable winch w/clutch for C/B, original stem fitting and misc. other.
just lemme no, eh?
Old 02-12-2009

Quote:
Roberto did a foredeck job on his Helms 25 ODALISQUE a few years ago, removing inner layer above V-berth. I had some crappy phone pix of his repairs somewhere. Jamming wood wedge pieces up to hold from below as he relaminated. By doing that repair from inside he saved the gelcoat etc. on foredeck.
That sounds pretty costly for a free boat. Might be worth getting an idea of whats involved though... Probably less costly than putting your foot through the deck though...

Quote:
Howz your standing rigging? (forestay, split back stay and upper single and double lower shrouds) Look for broken wires (meathooks) kinks and corrosion signs around swages. If you determine ANY of your wire swages are to be replaced please try to use sintered copper swage NOT aluminum, eh. Just no future in alum in this application, regardless what Worst Marine says.
The standing rigging is one of the bright spots on my boat. Everything looks pretty good, no meathooks, and no visible signs of leaks from below.

Quote:
Once you open the sailbags and inspect the sails please let me know. Determine if they are original sails and if repairs are required. On the head sail, look where the spreaders wear on fabric. Get em' out, measure em' wash em' and learn how to fold em' for storage.
The headsails are in original sailbags and look to be in pretty good shape. I have not measured them yet. The main is on the boom under a cover as it has been for at least the last 2 years. It is in need of some serious cleaning at the least.

The P/O said he hadn't even seen it in two years and it has just been bobbing away in its slip that whole time. The good news is that she is bone dry inside and doesn't appear to have any leaks from the bottom and only one minor one maybe from the topside.

Quote:
I will do some sail repairs for you free if we can determine what is required. I'm not really up for re-cuts and luff replacements right now, just repairs. I have 1 recut waiting for Chimera already... email me David@the-flex.com I have some parts left over from my many rebuild projects. interior wood trim, cable winch w/clutch for C/B, original stem fitting and misc. other.
just lemme no, eh?
wow thanks so much for the offer! I will have to take you up on that later if needed! I really appreciate it guys! I have already seen how great the boating community is!

JT
1973 #350
Lake Grapevine, TX
Old 02-12-2009

Well a brand new or real clean plastic trash can is my wash tub of choice for sails. Add a real light dose of bleach and trisodium phosphate and you're ready to "mix it up a little" ..Dry well, real well.
I constantly have to beware of wasps beneath the main sailcover and tubes of trailer.
Fiberglassing just isn't that expensive if you do the work, it is labor intensive. I like the doing everything I can myself, a learning experience for sure.
The value of a free boat is of course a moving target. I've seen em' sell cheap on Ebay, and well 30 yr old boats, its very subjective. I could get a free boat and still spend a fortune, there is always something. I could care less about resale I'll probably sink her someday anyway!
Old 02-19-2009
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Ok d3...this thread has gone too long without any pictures of your new boat. Let's see what she looks like!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
Ok d3...this thread has gone too long without any pictures of your new boat. Let's see what she looks like!
I don't have a super recent pic, but here is one after a day spent power washing the deck and hull.

Since this pic, all the running rigging has been removed with twine sent up in its place and the tiller/rudder/assembly removed for repair/reglass. If you want more before pics, let me know.
1973 #350
Lake Grapevine, TX
Old 02-21-2009

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
JT:
I bought a spare main companionway hatch, companionway drop boards (3 board design) and all the cockpit and foredeck hatches from an early Helms 25 like yours that was being cut up for trash. I have a pop up, so the companionway hatch doesn't fit mine. If your interested I have them for sale on Craigslist. classifieds - craigslist
I figured these would be almost impossible items to replace.
1976 #552