SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Centerboard Winch Cable

12K views 35 replies 7 participants last post by  kwaltersmi 
#1 ·
The cable on my centerboard winch is starting to show some meathooks so I think it's time to replace it while the boat is still on the hard. Has anyone done this repair yet? Any tips?

How long is the cable? I'm assuming about 10' will suffice since the centerboard swings down to around 6' below the waterline and then there needs to be some reserve as well as a foot or two to reach up to the winch. I'll measure when I get good enough weather to make a trip to the marina.

How is the cable attached to the winch? Will I need any special tools or parts?

#32 ·
Number of Helms 25 owners

Kevin:

I'm not sure how many Helms 25 owners read this forum. On the old SailNet email board, I think there was a at least 30 Helms owners that contributed. I think this is the only board that has any regular activity. Mainly due to you, me and David. If we keep active, it should grow as new owners Google for information.

Wayne - On closer inspection, I also have two plates which are not necessarily inspection plates but rather provide access to the turning sheave.

I'm planning to do the repair on Friday, so I'll let you all (how many of us are there?) know how it goes.

#31 ·
Knotty - Good information. What lube do you use on the turning sheave? We only have one. How do you get about 12" up in the trunk to lube it?

Kevin - When you take the vinyl hose off the bronze Tee at the top of the trunk, look if the cable has worn a groove in the Tee. From what I can see through the vinyl on mine, the cable is through the wall of the tee at its tip and just touching the vinyl hose. I was planing on filling the groove with MarineTex and sanding smooth rather than re-glassing in another bronze tee.
BTY, I bought new vinyl hose for mine. Its 3/4" over the tee then the 1/2" slips tightly inside the 3/4" up to the winch hub. Its nice heavy wall vinyl I got at West Marine. A foot of each and I'll cut to fit.

#33 ·
Knotty - Good information. What lube do you use on the turning sheave? We only have one. How do you get about 12" up in the trunk to lube it?
I think that if it were possible to access the sheave pin, I would use something like NeverSeize. That stuff really stays put. But any good grease should work fine.
If it's not easily accessible, I would probably use a spray Teflon grease. It comes out of the aerosol can as a liquid and quickly set up into a grease.
I really can't tell you for sure without seeing it.

Can you see it pretty well?
If you can see it, maybe you can make longer straw for the spray can. Or maybe the stuff will squirt far enough without a straw.
It seems strange that they would design it in such a way that you can't maintain it.
But I've seen stranger things.

#34 ·
I installed the new winch wire this past Friday just before I launched the boat. I basically used the method I outlined in one of my above posts. The procedure was easier than I anticipated and only cost $21. No worries about not being able to raise the board this summer! Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread and helped me think through the process!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.