Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Helms
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
You could also use high tech cordage such as Amsteel. Much more flexible and it will never corrode. I don't know how it will behave on the winch but even boats like the Southerly 42 use a Spectra line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2009

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
Patrick:
Any idea how Amsteel would hold up with chaff if it rubs on the centerboard trunk and guide block in the centerboard trunk? If it wares well it might be a good substitute. They didn't have these fibers when our boats were made.
1976 #552
Old 03-12-2009
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
I just got a quote from a local rigging shop for 12' of 1/4" 7x19 SS wire with a swage fitting for $28.99. That seems like a very good price. Now all I need to do is head over to the boat and confirm sizes/lengths and make sure my centerboard connections is like the pictures Wayne posted. I also need to determine how the wire is attached to the winch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-12-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Do you centerboarders like your setup? In looking around at boats I've been really shunning the the cb-s because it just seems like another thing to have to mess with and possibly fail in a pinch. And I wonder about their true effectiveness while sailing. I'm really ignorant on it from a design perspective - so I'm curious about your thoughts.
Old 03-12-2009
Broad Reachin'

What I like most about having a centerboard is the ability to reduce my boat's draft to about only 18-20". I could theoretically beach the boat or access some really shallow gunkholes. However, given that I sail in Lake Michigan and that there are not a lot of shoals or shallow areas, I don't really need a shallow draft boat. This feature might be more beneficial in a tidal area or coastal backwaters.

Another advantage is that I can keep the board fully retracted when sailing on a broad reach or downwind and thus reduce wetted surface area and pick up a bit of speed.

There are some downsides. For one, the upkeep mentioned here in this thread. There's also a pivot bolt that can leak if not properly maintained/inspected. However, many fixed keel boats still also have issues such as corroded keel bolts. It's a tradeoff.

I also tend to think that my particular boat would be less tender if it had a deeper fixed keel in place of the centerboard/swingkeel. I have no way of knowing this for certain, but the physics in my head seem to suggest it.

Old 03-12-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Cool - thanks kwalt.
Old 03-12-2009

jumaggafanny is on a distinguished road
C/B the depth gauge for dorks

It would be difficult to compare all C/B boats in one fell swoop, that said the Helms 25 is the only Helms w/Centerboard (24, 25, 27, 30, 32) and it has a well pronounced keel that allows it to sail with the board up quite effectively. The board is most noticable when beating into the wind the centerboard down helps the pointing.
As an amature sailor I have welcomed the pennance and privacy of going below to crank on the C/B winch, 16 full rev's on mine will release me from the shallow water that has trapped me yet again. It may be good to point out that the rudder is two part and also kicks up from the force of earth impact. The force on the rudder is then magnified, it's like losing the power steering on a truck.
The Helms Centerboard is 1" thick steel weighing in at 300# and lowers the center of gravity as well as drawing neat lines in the mud prior to earth impact, see above.
Old 03-12-2009
Last Man Standing

Jumaggafanny - crazy cool name and avatar. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-12-2009

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
Smack:
All what Kevin & David said. Our fixed keel also has 1650# of ballast which really helps stabilize our boats. The 20" draft with centerboard up and 6' with it down really is perfect for the sailing I do in coastal Delmarva bays.
The impressive thing about our centerboards is they do not need and really shouldn't be sailed all the way down. We really lower them until the boat sailing is balanced or slight weather helm. That's about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way down with a 112% jib up. The centerboard can also be used to balance the pointing on heaving to.
You also asked about setup. I like our winch and cable setup compared to other centerboards boats I've seen. Our winch is under the first step going down in the compaionway. With the handle left pointing to port it is out of the way. A big problem on other designs. The only thing I would like to see changed is the steel centerboard replaced with bronze. Someday when I win the lottery I'll have one cast in bronze.
1976 #552
Old 03-12-2009
Broad Reachin'

Interestingly, I spoke with one H25 owner who had his centerboard winch handle in the cockpit just below the threshold, which I guess is just backwards of the way most are installed.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.