Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Helms
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
Helms 25 winches

Well, I was out sailing last weekend with my daughter and she had the winch handle spin free in the jib sheet winch. Its the original winch. So something let loose in there. I think I may have the parts needed thanks to the kindness of a fellow board member sending me his old winch for spare parts.
But I couldn't resist looking at some new winches in a catalog. Looking at Lewmar's "Winch Selection Guide", they recommended somewhere between a #15 or #16. Actually their #14 is closer to the dimensions of the original winch.
And the self tailing model is tempting but all are very expensive.
So I ask those that have changed out their winches; What make, model and size did you select and why?
Thanks in advance for your information.

Wayne
1976 #552
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2010

Update

The problem was badly worn top Paws (SP). The corners of them were scraped off. Only two paws were used even though it had holes for four paws. With the spare parts I had on hand, I put 4 paws in and it seemed to work OK for an old winch. These are No-Name aluminum winches.
When I had the winch apart I made a stencil/scraping of the mounting base. It has 6 mounting bolts. Still looking to see what winches your using.

Thanks,

Wayne
1976 #552
Old 10-18-2010

jumaggafanny is on a distinguished road
Wayne,
Your winches are most likely BARLOW winches. Chimera was fitted w/ #16's on the combing box and #15 on the coach roof. I have replaced the Barlow's w/ self tailers...love em'. I am replacing my (forward deck) anchor winch with a 2speed to make my work easier. Counting the little Barlow #14 on the mast my Helms is fitted with 6 winches total.
I would have commented sooner but I had my head up my transom lately.
David
Old 10-25-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Wayne - It's been a while, but I purchased two Lewmar #7's off Craiglist to replace the winches on my H25, but never ended up completing the project before I sold the boat. In any case, I think the Lewmar 7's (though small) would suffice and are relatively inexspensive in the used market. I paid $75 total for both. I also found some of the original H25 winches on eBay prior to purchasing the Lewmars, but decided against them because of the unconvential winch handle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-18-2012

rmaltz is on a distinguished road
Re: Helms 25 winches

On the subject of winches, one of my two winches for the jib sail froze solid and will not turn at all. These winches appear to be no-name winches with no markings whatsoever on them. Maybe they are original to the boat. I am unable to loosen the set screw so I cannot disassemble it to see if it can be repaired. So, I am thinking of replacing them. What is the smallest size I can get away with (due to larger winches cost more) as replacements?

As a side question: what is the bulb number for the steaming light on the Helms 25? I would like to have a spare on hand should the currrent light fail.

Thanks very much!
Ron
Annapolis, MD.
Helms 25
1976 #562
Old 03-18-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06

Ron,

If they are the originals then the smallest you can get away with is probably the same as what you have. Winches are expensive and builders do not oversize them. What I can suggest to save yourself some money is get a used one from Bacon Sails over on 116 Legion Avenue. If you aren't looking for a self tailing model, they have a ton of them at reasonable prices. You can view their used winch selection on-line using the hyperlink above or simply call them at (410) 263-4880. In any event, you will need to get the old one off the boat. Do that before you go and take it with you. They'll help you pick out the best replacement.

Tom
Pasadena, MD
Old 03-19-2012

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the info. I figured I couldn't use smaller winches but I wanted to make sure with another opinion. I am familiar with Bacon Sails. I love going in there when I get the chance. I already pulled the pair of winches off the boat and plan to clean and rebed the good winch. They are not self-tailing but have the rubber attachment on the drum top. I figure I can do the same if needed. The good winch is in my trunk so I'll swing by Bacon Sails on my way home.

Ron
Old 03-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaltz View Post
On the subject of winches, one of my two winches for the jib sail froze solid and will not turn at all. These winches appear to be no-name winches with no markings whatsoever on them. Maybe they are original to the boat. I am unable to loosen the set screw so I cannot disassemble it to see if it can be repaired. So, I am thinking of replacing them. What is the smallest size I can get away with (due to larger winches cost more) as replacements?

As a side question: what is the bulb number for the steaming light on the Helms 25? I would like to have a spare on hand should the currrent light fail.

Thanks very much!
Ron
Annapolis, MD.
Helms 25
1976 #562
Ron:
I have the steaming light off my mast because I replaced it with one that has a down bow deck light. I pulled the bulb out, but it just says 12V 3w. So at least you know the wattage. The socket looks like the same diameter as a common 1157 bulb. However, the pins are directly across from each other, not staggered in height. The base has 2 contact points. The glass part of the bulb is smaller than a 1157. It is 3/4" wide and 5/8" high. You can go to your local NAPA store and look in their bulb rack to find a replacement.

Looks like our hulls are 10 apart.
1976 #552
Old 03-27-2012

Hi Wayne,
That info is very helpful. I'll look to Napa and the Bacon Sails store near it to see what they can come up with. The idea is to take the mast down and get all the work done once. I have a couple yacht club members who will help and show me how it is done. I was able to pick up a couple Barient 10 winches to replace the old/failed jib sail winches from Bacon Sails. They were very good at sizing them for me. Just waiting for a good day with no commitments so I can install them.

Thanks very much!
Ron
Annapolis, MD.
Helms 25
1976 #562

p.s. It took me awhile to find info on how to determine my boat number, then I realized we were very close.
Old 03-27-2012

Hi Wayne,

Any chance you could post a picture of the bulb please? Someone mentioned the bulb would look more like the Festoon type (pointy metal ends with the glass in the middle), but your description is very different.

Thanks,
Ron