Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Helms
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2011
RCH

rhannan is on a distinguished road
Rudder replacement\Centerboard winch

I am trying to get a Helms 25 back on the water.

(1) The rudder I have is fixed and not original equipment. I would prefer one I can raise in shallow water. Does anyone have the specs for the original rudder (which I believe could be raised)\know where I could find one\know if I could adapt a rudder from another boat to the Helms?

(2) I expect I will mostly sail singlehanded. Does anyone have suggestions on making the winch handle easier to reach? Has anyone run the centerboard cable below the open cockpit and relocated the centerboard winch further back in the boat? Is it possible to reposition\turn the winch so the handle is outside in the open cockpit?

Thanks for any suggestions and comments.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2011

jumaggafanny is on a distinguished road
I am sorry I didn't reply sooner. this is my data for the Helms -25 rudder. I hope this helps. I wouod look at the 25 ft catalina as a donor boat, very similar. My current rudder is modified but I can get some pictures if that helps. Please let me know how I can help.

I have a lot of data for the Helms 25 only, I wowuld appreciate a picture of your boat, Hull # and name etc for my Helms files..
David
Attached Thumbnails
Rudder replacement\Centerboard winch-004.jpg  
Old 09-22-2011

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
I got some rudder info from a fellow Helms 25 owner awhile ago

Here are pixs of my original above water rudder section.

The rudder on the Helms is rather larger. I have a feeling it's design is part of what makes the boat track so well and have great balance. A smaller rudder with a true foil designed for the boat might produce the same results, but you would have to look into that.

I've never seen the winch relocated. But there is plenty of room under there to design something. I really think its location is not that bad. If it were out in the cockpit the exposure to saltwater would result in a rusty mess. You do not need to sail with the centerboard all the way down. In fact, it's best not to. From what I've been told, your only suppose to lower the centerboard enough to balance the boat. I lower mine until the tiller is neutral, little or no weather helm. It takes 30 turns of my winch handle to fully let down the centerboard. I usually end up 8 to 12 turns depending on wind and sailing conditions and leave it there for the rest of my sailing that day. 10 to 12 turns is less than a 45 degree angle for the centerboard and just about the same or a little more than the depth of the rudder. Like this

Here are some pics of the lower section on the trailer

I hope this helps. let us know if you have any other questions.
1976 #552
Old 09-26-2011
RCH

rhannan is on a distinguished road
Thanks for this. In case my earlier reply didn't get through, I will try to get some pictures. The hull number is JAH002641073. As I understand, that means it was built in 1973. I will get some pictures as soon as I can.

Your information is a big help and will get me started. I hadn't thought about the corrosion if I exposed the winch handle.. Right now the boat in the yard on a trailer at inland waters--actually there is no water because of the drought. But, I am thinking about getting it down to the Texas Gulf Coast.