Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Helms
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2014

TheManKinahan is on a distinguished road
Re: Helms25 Window Gaskets

How did the repair go? I have some butyl tape, and one window removed. I'm trying to determine if I need to remove the window from the frame. Did you end up keeping the original frame or going with something new? I'm going to try to remove the plexiglass from the frame and clean it up tomorrow. The prvious owner just put clear caulk on it from time to time, which looks bad an d only slowed the leak. It looks like the frame is two half frames riveted together, which should be fairly easy to drill out.

Mine were leaking pretty badly, there seemed to not even be silicone in one area of the window, so I'm looking forward to getting it done right.

Any advice? Did you remove the plexiglass from the frame or just the frame from the window.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2014

Got the frame apart, and finished cleaning out the old caulk. I see that inside the frame its an old gasket. I think I'm going to replace that with caulk, not butyl tape, because this frame doesn't really have anything holding pressure between the frame and the plexiglass. A small riveted side panel isn't enough pressure. So I'm going to use an acrylic/polycarbonate compatible sealant, like Sika 295 for the frame to the window, and then use the butyl tape between the frame and the gelcoat/boat.

I'm a little worried that the frame might not pull itself as tight as necessary with the limited number of threads and age of the window, but hopefully I'm wrong. I can always use a larger diameter tap/screw set if it doesn't pull tight enough.

I'll try to post pictures as I finish.

Last edited by TheManKinahan; 04-06-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-08-2014

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road

Good luck. The PO on my boat had replaced the clear plastic with tinted safety glass. It's bedded with a marine clear silicone. Its about the only place on the boat i would allow silicone to be used - glass.
1976 #552
Old 04-09-2014

wkupersa is on a distinguished road

I hate to admit it but I sailed all last year with painters tape over the port side port light holes. While the view isn't great, I thought that it was funny that the painters tape actually did a much better job of keeping the water out than the port lights did.

I'd better get back to that project.

--Willie
Old 1 Week Ago

Finished this job, I cut new windows with a jig saw ~3 mm's outside of the old windows, taped together as a guide. I then took the template old window with the new plexiglass to my router table, where I got a flush cut with the old window.

I then rerouted it with a 45 degree angle, after reading that Sika 295 UV (one of maybe 2 caulks rated for plexiglass) wanted a large bead (I think it was 3/8") to account for expansion and contraction. I figured that the 45 degree angle would buy me a larger bead, as the old gasket was <1/8" think, while maintaining the size and most of the strength. The sika 295 requires a primer, which I applied in two coats, because even after sanding it was tricky to get it to bind much to the plexiglass.

You can see the 45 degree and the thin primer running over the edge onto the paper still protecting the body of the plexiglass.

After that I used a massive amount of 295, wiping up the excess. It took me too long to realize I should have had the frames taped to protect them from the primer and caulk, so my first one was a lot uglier. Lastly, I used 1/8" butyl tape between the frames and the body, secured with same back side of the frame as is originally present.

If I was to do it again, I'd strongly consider cutting slightly bigger windows and doing a flush on body type design thats more popular these days. I say that because these frames still look ugly and have some corrosion on the aluminum since they are approaching 50 years old. Either way, my boat is much much more dry since I did it.

I'll try to find more photos, I know I took them, hopefully they are on my work computer.