SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Helms 24 vs 25???

7K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  sloopyseconds 
#1 ·
Still looking for a boat; but have it narrowed down to (probably) a Helms 24. Having seen a few 25s and lotsa comments/reviews, I was wondering what were the major diffs; other than the obvious foot in length.

Helms seems to be the only small cruiser that has decent head room. The PS Dana is waaaay out of my price range. Looking forward to weekending (and longer) on the Chessie and would appreciate the space :D

Anyone care to offer a comparison?

TIA,
Paul

#2 ·
The 24 - Fixed keel, good head room, spacious for it's size, quick in its day.

The 25 - Centerboard and fixed ballast, good head room only if you get the Pop-up model and use it while anchored.

Both are great boats but have very different characteristics. You need to pick the one that best fits your sailing style and the waters you sail.

Hope this Helps.

#3 · (Edited)
Hi Wayne;
I see yer used to short-water sailing; being on the opposite side of the peninsula and all :D. I plan to be day/weekend+ pottering around on the N. end of the Chessie. Once better acclimated to the area and sailing bigger in general; I'd like (eventually) to be able to make passage to the S. end of the Bay... and back! ;) While not a complete noob to the water and sails; it'll still be a rather huge leap to a 24-25 footer. I plan to go slow and close until I'm better educated and used to it.

Looking at the specs on both, the 24 lists 4.17' and the 24 SD (shoal draft?!) lists 3' vs the 25 at 4'/1.67' (max/min). Three foot draft on the 24SD is not what I'd call shoal-draft; whereas the 1.67' up-board draft on yer 25 *IS* ! Looks like the same mast/sailplan with the 25 being a couple hundred pounds LESS in ballast and disp.; probably from drop-keel design??

That being settled....what's the nominal head-room on yers? I'm finding it troublesome to use dividers to step off dimensions of downloaded dwgs of the two..and get decent measurements. Where, do you estimate, are the single foot differences between the 24 and 25? Cockpit? Cabin? Forepeak? Or just in general, spread out over the entire length?.

I suppose I oughta find one of each within reach and take a look in person.

Thanks,
Paul

#6 ·
Paul - The Helms 25 has a 5'-1" head room if you do not have the Pop-up model.
I would recommend that it's time to take a look and sail both boats to find out which you like best. The specs are one thing but there are a lot of other things and feelings you will gain from being on the boats that will make your decision for you.
Good luck.

#9 ·
I can put my 25 on her trailer and hit 70MPH and to drag her to safety in a Hurricane or put her on the road to those locations I wanna sail

But my back aches when I have to stoop inside (Except w/my nifty pop top) I am jealous of the head room of ALL the other Helms.
AND I'd run aground more without the centerboard shallow draft.

#11 ·
A buddy and I just picked up a 78 Helms 24 off of Lake Murray. It has been sitting on its trailer for at least 10 years, although I'm sure much longer. The inside was pretty rough, but she was a super solid vessel. We have spent the past 2 weeks cleaning, repairing, and a little replacing parts of the boat. I absolutely love this design, it has a huge cabin (for a 24ft sail boat), a fixed keel, and a decent cockpit. We are still missing a few sailing components, like the main sheet, ect. but we are taking her out this weekend to motor around to make sure she is water tight. we are new to sailing and after searching the east coast from GA to D.C. this was the best bang for our buck, right price range and condition we needed to get started, oh yea it also came with a trailer! It wasn't until 2 more weeks of research and sweat equity did we realized we have an AWESOME BOAT, that we will learn on and hopefully make it to the Pamlico sound on!

#14 ·
Georgemci102 I tried to write you a private message but I didn't have enough posts. A buddy and I just bought a helms 24 and I was wondering if I could ask you some questions in the future? We have the next few projects lined up but when we step the mast again I will have a few questions about the running rigging. Hopefully I will have enough posts by then!!

#15 ·
Welcome to sailnet. What part of the triad are you from. Albemarle area here. Send me a message when you get ready to hit the Pamlico. I'll tell you some of my super secret anchorages. Pamlico can get really rough for a 24' boat so be prepared when you do go.
We keep our boat docked in Oriental.

#16 ·
nccouple thanks, yea we live in Archdale, we plan on sailing in the lakes this summer to get some experience before we hit the sound, I sailed with my dad last summer in the Albemarle sound on his Hobie 18, and it did get kind of choppy one day but we had a blast! My friends boss has a slip at Oriental, and he sold his 53' a few years ago but kept the slip and told us when we are ready we can leave her there. hope to see you in the OBX soon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.