Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Helms
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013

Helms27NV is on a distinguished road
A few questions and intro

Hello from Nevada,

My husband and I have recently bought a 1984 Helms 27 from a family friend back east who had the boat built for them (original owner) and we brought it to Lake Mead, Nevada. It's been 15 years since I sailed much and my husband is new to the sport but we are full speed ahead updating where needed and getting to know our new boat.

As we have been going over things, one repair we have to do immediately is replace the tiller. I saw the one other thread on this topic for a 25. Has everyone had to go the custom route or is there a stock version that anyone has found?

I've also been looking for sail specs and a PHRF rating for our boat.

I found sail specs on Sail Rite Sails web site (I can't post links since I'm new to SailNet) Does anyone have any confirmation if that info is correct, or anything better?? I'll post the links as soon as I am able.

As far as a PHRF, I found a PHRF site for New England racers that included ratings for the Helms 24, 25 and 30 (again, SailNet won't let me include links yet) I've written the New England site to see how/where they came up with those and if they may be able to help us figure out the rating for our Helms 27 but I haven't heard back yet. Anyone have any ratings on your boat that could help decipher what ours might be?

Last for now, I have been searching for more info on Jack Helms in general - is he still alive? I'm amazed how hard it's been to find more than the general base bio you see listed with the boats out there for sale.

Just throwing all this out there. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer!

Tiffany
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: A few questions and intro

Found this?

Sailboats built by Helms - Jack A. Helms Co. by year on Sailboatdata.com

or this? (Designer of Helms 27, Stuart Windley)

Sailboat designs of Stuart*Windley by year

Are you planning to race? If not the PHRF doesn't matter much unless you're just looking for comparable boats in the 'speed' department.

You can get a variety of stock premade tillers from Defender, etc, also this popped up:

A Stock Tiller - Mahogany and Ash, Rudder Craft Inc.

But they are not hard to make yourself either, if you have some basic woodworking tools and skills. Metal and composites are also to be had if you'd rather.

Welcome to the site.. enjoy!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-16-2013

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the board Tiffany.
Here's some info you might like.
History of Helms Yachts | The Dream Begins: From Sailboat Restoration to Family Cruising
There is a lot more if you do a little exploring on Google.
BTW, Kevin had a nice article in Sail Mag last month.
1976 #552
Old 04-16-2013

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road

Her is an interesting site for you.
Contact Me
1976 #552
Old 04-16-2013

Thanks for the responses Faster and Wayne! I've only had a chance to quickly look through those different pages. I had seen the sailboat data sites but not the two you posted, Wayne. The last, Helms Sailboat, site looks really interesting, and helpful to see a larger range of Mr. Helms' other boats.

The previous owner moved the main traveler and sheet cleats to above the companion way hatch on our boat. It's really hard to get to and trim often or smoothly. I see why he did that though, I don't really want it in front of the companion way either. Has anyone seen any other set-ups that worked well and allowed for the skipper to trim the main easily?

We raced on our second day out. ;-) The race committee couldn't find a PHRF for the boat so thought I would do some digging. We're definitely going to be doing more racing.

I'm so happy to get a few responses on here. It looks like the Yahoo group is dead and I was worried this space may be more of the same.

Thanks again.
Old 04-16-2013

Also, I can't figure out how to go back and post a picture with my profile. Can anyone clue me in? I created an album and posted a picture of our yellow hulled Helms but I wanted to make it my profile image as well.

I haven't come across any other yellow-hulled Helms and I believe our friends made that specific request.
Old 04-17-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helms27NV View Post
Also, I can't figure out how to go back and post a picture with my profile. Can anyone clue me in? I created an album and posted a picture of our yellow hulled Helms but I wanted to make it my profile image as well.

Near the top of the page there is a link to your User CP (Control panel) In there you can edit you signature, your 'avatar' (picture on your post banners) and select other preferences as well. It's a good idea to fill out some profile info - ie boat type, where you sail, that sort of thing. I'd leave personal info like addresses out of it, but the more info in your profile the better people here can help you or put weight to advice you may have.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-17-2013

Thanks, Faster. Got it!

Tags
helms , helms 27 , phrf , tiller