Go Back   SailNet Community > Contributing Authors > Her Sailnet Articles
 Not a Member? 

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2000
Contributing Authors

Kathy Barron is on a distinguished road
Cooking Under Pressure

Pressure cookers are enjoying a resurgence in popularity due to safer operation, and they are becoming an important addition to the sailor’s galley. Pressure-cooking produces moist and flavorful foods while reducing cooking time. Meats, beans, grains, and vegetables are ready in minutes. Cooking Under Pressure provides valuable tips for the new user, even offering a list of foods that should never be cooked under pressure.

In fact, at the top of my "can’t-live-without" list of galley equipment is my pressure cooker. It doubles as a large saucepan when cooking for a passage or for guests, and it doubles as my canner when fresh vegetables, fish, and meat are available. If an oven is not an option due to the size of the boat, then a pressure cooker is a must for the galley. The galley slave can even bake in a pressure cooker. And if you do have a pressure cooker on board, then Cooking Under Pressure should be the first book that you add to your galley shelf.

Recipes for soups, a variety of meats and poultry, vegetables, grains, and rice are all simple and easy to use. There are recipes for dishes I would never have imagined pressure-cooking—desserts such as cheesecake, pudding, custard, and bread pudding. The book contains cooking guides and timetables for steaming vegetables and for cooking a variety of dried beans and grains.

This is not a new book, but one that I’ve come to use more, and appreciate more, with time on the boat. My hardbound copy of Cooking Under Pressure is 257 well-worn pages of pure cooking textbook. It’s had its pages thumbed from the Mid-Atlantic down to the Caribbean and back to the Gulf of Mexico—and I’ll have it with me when we go on our next cruise.

Cooking Under Pressure
Lorna J. Sass
William Morrow & Company, Inc.
Copyright 1989

Closed Thread