SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   herSailNet (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/hersailnet/)
-   -   Sandal-type Boat Shoes (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/hersailnet/100758-sandal-type-boat-shoes.html)

JulieMor 06-24-2013 04:55 PM

Sandal-type Boat Shoes

I was in the ship's store waiting for the sales guy to show us some boats when I spotted a pair of sandal boat shoes made by Seabago. They only had one pair and they didn't fit.

I looked for pics online but couldn't find any nor did I find the shoe. They were molded thong sandals with an adjustable heel strap and deck-type sole.

I was wondering if anyone has them or similar and if they are as good as regular boat shoes. We looked at four boats Sunday and I wore sandals (no heel strap) and they were dangerous! So I'm wondering if the molding, heel strap and deck-type sole would make them acceptable for getting around while sailing. And if so, where to find them?

Thanks,
Julie

JoeLena 06-24-2013 05:31 PM

Re: Sandal-type Boat Shoes

I'm curious about this as well. I have a Rhodes 19, so I get pretty wet sometimes, and always when I launch her.

I saw some Keen sandals at REI on sale. They seem to be popular with kayakers and rafters. Just wondering how well they stick.

DRFerron 06-24-2013 05:52 PM

Love my Keens. Unfortunately my favorite style is no longer offered and are looking a bit ratty and my mother commandeered my second pair and won't give them up. However, they are comfortable and have toe protection while still being open. No problems on a slippery deck even after four years and they offer styles that easily look good with a dress or skirt (if you are so inclined). Also very good walking distances, unlike even my Dubarry boat shoes which hurt after a bit on land.

engineer_sailor 06-24-2013 05:57 PM

Sandal-type Boat Shoes

The Keens my wife bought me have been great (Men's Newport H2). They provide toe protection and are comfortable enough to wear all day. Grip has been pretty good under wet conditions probably better than my sneakers. The only drawback so far was when my heel slipped out after catching the back of the sandal on a lifeline while working with the mainsail. I've since tightened them up some.

Josh

chef2sail 06-24-2013 06:00 PM

Keenes are great

Nothing protecting toes is a future hospital visit in the making.

Alex W 06-24-2013 06:41 PM

Barefoot works pretty well too. I tend to put on my shoes or sandals when leaving the boat at this time of year.

MarkSailor 06-24-2013 06:45 PM

I bought a pair of TEVA sandals at Academy Sports in April that looked like Keens, but were about half the cost. So far I love them. They have held up fine, and are very comfortable, even when walking on rocky shorelines. They have also seem to have a pretty good grip, although I haven't had them out on a really rough day.

You definitely want something with some toe protection, not a regular flat sandal. Otherwise I agree with Chef2sail that it's a question of when, not whether, you'll be visiting the emergency room.

Mark
S/V Reality
New Orleans, LA

JoeLena 06-24-2013 07:02 PM

So I think I'll be about $99 lighter after buying the keens, but should be worth it. Thanks. I think.

JulieMor 06-24-2013 07:44 PM

Which Keen has the best sole for a wet deck?

miatapaul 06-24-2013 08:02 PM

Some teens have sipped soles like topsiders. These are best.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta