Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
The Search Widens Before it Narrows

Before buying a boat was contingent on too many other things, picking out the right boat was easy. Because you knew actually owning it was a long way off. Now that almost all the contingencies are gone and the real search is on, I've found the list of possible "suspects" is widening.

As we visit brokers and they show us what they have, as we talk to other owners, our boat knowledge broadens. Makes and models we never considered or were even aware of and now being considered. Even though we've taken some possibilities off the list, the list is still longer than before.

It's kind of like walking into the nail salon with a few colors ideas in your mind only to find out the salon has just taken in a shipment of all new OPI colors.
momclarissa likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road
Re: The Search Widens Before it Narrows

I put together a lot of crazy spreadsheets and decision tree doodles during that process. I realized around that time that performance wasn't that important. As much as I dreamed about wet rails and white knuckle tacks, it was clear that I needed a family cruiser that could take a beating. I bought a sound boat that needed a lot of restoration, but mostly cosmetic.
jimgo likes this.
Old 06-27-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

I have started my own search, which is still in the early stages, and as I work my way through the choices in hull, keel, sail configuration, motor, and everything else I narrow and widen and narrow again. In the end what I buy will have to be a compromise on all the features that I want in order to get what I need in a package that I am willing to spend the money to get.

I spent an hour on the phone with the broker I trust on this earlier today, he and I have been working this out and we were discussing a couple of boats he is recommending, which are currently priced about $40k above where I want to be on price, but we both believe that this is going to go down a lot. I was looking at one, which recently sold, the original asking price was $75,600.00 and it sold at $15,000.00 a $60k difference in the price. My question to him is how that could possibly be, and his answer was that the seller was not in tune with the market and he finally got in tune with it. If you saw the boat you would be amazed that it went for that low of a price, and yet that is the state of the current economy and market, now that makes me nervous, because I hate to overpay for anything LOL.

Look, research, and when you find one do like I said in the other thread, offer a much lower price, and it will probably be accepted.

If anyone doubts, as some always do about the boat I am referring to they are welcome to PM me and I will send the link that shows the price and the original asking price. It was a very nice looking boat, but I have no idea as to what hidden monkeys may have been in the barrel to effect the overall price.
Old 06-27-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

Oops. I didn't realize that this was a HerSailnet post.
Old 06-27-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuyxx View Post
Oops. I didn't realize that this was a HerSailnet post.
Arrgh, me neither...now I just feel all dirty..like I accidentally walked into the ladies room or something.
jimgo likes this.
Old 06-28-2013

Well, most of the posts here are from the guys. So no need to feel like an intruder.

We're in quiet disagreement (minor) regarding performance. It really only matters to me in that the boat will take us from point A to point B a bit faster. Most of my sailing was done on a Columbia 45 that needs a small hurricane to get her up to speed. We motored a LOT! When taking that 8-12 hour trip, I'd like to have the option to sail if there's some wind. My So wants to go fast everywhere.

Every salesperson/broker has boats they suggest for you and when you actually see them, some of them end up on the list of possibilities. Right now, more are being added than subtracted.
Old 06-28-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Well, at least someone is keeping the boat brokers busy. I suspect most have an abundance of free time on their hands...
Old 06-28-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Julie,
Fast with comfort for weekend sailing/week long cruises implies a catamaran.
Hate to widen your list, but there it is.
Then again, the Sabre 34 you were looking at is another very, very good choice.

Sometimes you have to ask yourself, is this your last boat, or you next boat. I'm on #4 in 12 years - refining our needs, wants, and desires by sampling the mix.
Old 06-28-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

In the end, we were thankful for my three years of research (two years of narrowing it down to three, one year of stalking the owners associations and email lists). It isn't our last boat, but we're more than happy with the boat we bought to sail now because we knew before writing the check the disadvantages, the common issues, the upgrades that would have to be made, sailing performance, etc. Four years in, we have yet to say "Damn! If we had known that..." Because we did.
JimMcGee and JulieMor like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Well, at least someone is keeping the boat brokers busy. I suspect most have an abundance of free time on their hands...
The first broker has already handed us over to his brother citing "too busy" as the reason. I think we wore him out.

Chuckles, did anyone ever tell you you are a troublemaker?

No, the cat is out. How do cat owners even find a slip? Or do they pay double on the slip fee? Anyway, neither of us like the cat.