Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: T shirts, 100% cotton a must (and wet T contests)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
oh yes and btw ... thanks for that Crazy shirts link Dave. Not that I'm a fan of printed tees but they have a nice line in light weight twill pants which I've been having trouble locating since my old supplier went bust. I do not like wearing jeans on board cos they always feel damp but cotton twill pants do the trick and can (at a push) double as shore going clothes.
Welcome fuzz,

I have few of them. They are really comfortable as are the shorts. On Ohau they have a factory outlet where everything is 50%. They make great quality stuff. Unique presents.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Denise,

I often see you lamenting the hot, humid days of summer. Dressing properly can go a long way towards making the heat more tolerable, which in turn, allows you to make more use of your boat.

Cotton is rotten. The high-tech, wicking clothing that people are referring to, really is the way to go. Under Armour started it, but they're quite expensive. Numerous knock-offs followed, some are quite good, some are absolutely horrible, and are merely shiny, double-knit polyester shirts that trap the heat and moisture.

If you have Khol's stores anywhere near you, go to their athletics section and buy the FILA brand, or Nike brand wicking shirts. They work, and are less expensive than Under Armour. You mentioned "stretchy" shirts. You don't need to buy them skin-tight in order for them to be effective. Just buy them in whatever size and comfortable fit that you normally buy for cotton T's.

Another product I advocate, is Columbia's safari pants. These are a light, durable, pair of pants with zip-off leggings that convert into shorts. These pull the moisture away from your skin, but also block the wind at night when the temperature drops.

I used to turn my nose up at this stuff, calling my friends "gear snobs", but after trying some of it, I'm impressed. More importantly, I'm dry and comfortable.

While we're on the subject of sailing apparel, I advise you to visit Annapolis during the fall boat show and pick up a good foulie jacket while they're on sale. I picked up a Helly Hansen Tactician's jacket for 50% off. It's my favorite piece of sailing clothing.

Like the Swedes say: "There is no bad weather, only bad clothing."
Maine Sail and krisscross like this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 07-06-2013
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Yes thanks BH, I was into back packing for a more then a few years I'm aware of hi (and lo) tech clothing. Just for everyday I like cotton Tees

my current "project"!
Old 07-06-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

I buy all my 'hi-tech' sailing shirts at Goodwill and other thrift stores. If they don't work right I just donate them back. In hot weather a cotton t-shirt is comfortable for a total of 2 minutes.
Old 07-06-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
And I was all ready to squelch a Ladies of SailNet Wet T-Shirt thread.

Although, I am up for a SailNet Men Full Monty Calendar. Proceeds could go to charity of course.
Be careful what you wish for. Somewhere in Vanuatu a few islands ago.
Attached Thumbnails
T shirts, 100% cotton a must (and wet T contests)-mat-041.jpg  

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 07-06-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Ahem...

Hane's Beefy T's worked for these cruising ladies at Dicks Last Resort, Musket Cove Rally week....
Attached Thumbnails
T shirts, 100% cotton a must (and wet T contests)-78a.jpg  

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
The Following User Says Thank You to aeventyr60 For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (07-16-2013)
Old 07-06-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Denise,

I often see you lamenting the hot, humid days of summer. Dressing properly can go a long way towards making the heat more tolerable, which in turn, allows you to make more use of your boat.

Cotton is rotten. The high-tech, wicking clothing that people are referring to, really is the way to go. Under Armour started it, but they're quite expensive. Numerous knock-offs followed, some are quite good, some are absolutely horrible, and are merely shiny, double-knit polyester shirts that trap the heat and moisture.

If you have Khol's stores anywhere near you, go to their athletics section and buy the FILA brand, or Nike brand wicking shirts. They work, and are less expensive than Under Armour. You mentioned "stretchy" shirts. You don't need to buy them skin-tight in order for them to be effective. Just buy them in whatever size and comfortable fit that you normally buy for cotton T's.

Another product I advocate, is Columbia's safari pants. These are a light, durable, pair of pants with zip-off leggings that convert into shorts. These pull the moisture away from your skin, but also block the wind at night when the temperature drops.

I used to turn my nose up at this stuff, calling my friends "gear snobs", but after trying some of it, I'm impressed. More importantly, I'm dry and comfortable.

While we're on the subject of sailing apparel, I advise you to visit Annapolis during the fall boat show and pick up a good foulie jacket while they're on sale. I picked up a Helly Hansen Tactician's jacket for 50% off. It's my favorite piece of sailing clothing.

Like the Swedes say: "There is no bad weather, only bad clothing."
Yes I will not buy cotton shirts anymore for outdoor use at all. Now at my over air conditioned work I do have some for warmth. I have to say Kohls is good, they have some house brand golf shirts (not a t-shirt though) that are excellent and are often on sale for around $10-15. EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports) has a really nice selection of "tech wick" that is amazing but a bit pricy but much less than expensive than Under Armour. (have to say in full disclosure that both EMS and Under Armour are customers of the company I work for but I gain nothing from there success they happen to use our cash register software) I will say Champion branded "high tech" fabric stuff (from Target) is just awful and wicks about as well as a plastic bag. Good for loosing some water weight though.

Synthetic is the way to go these days, you wont feel like you have a wet shirt on and will fee much cooler. But you do have to be careful about brand. I will have to try the Fila brand, though I do prefer a shirt with a collar so I can wear therm to work too. (business casual) I may try to make it to Annapolis show one of these days.
Old 07-06-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"Under Armour started it, but they're quite expensive."
They're just johnny-come-lately who have done a huge job of marketing as a Brand Name. Patagonia and others were selling wicking clothes 20+ years ago, it was just a hard thing to find any of it.
LandsEnd also was selling silk turtlenecks (very light weight, lighter than t-shirting) at least back into the 80's. Inexpensive, great wicking if you're wearing it as an undershirt.
FWIW.
I keep thinking Under Armor really should be selling kevlar undies...
Old 07-06-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

I fully realise that cotton traps moisture though from personal observation only, I find some cottons less troublesome than others. Denim as I said before seems one of the worst.

Nonetheless I simply do not like wearing synthetics all the time, nor do I like synthetics against my skin. In cold weather I wear a base layer of silk. Tried this out for the first time last winter and was pretty much impressed. Over that, whatever seems appropriate though top quality wet weather gear does keep out the chill wind.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 07-07-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-07-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Linen is the way to go but some of the high tech stuff is pretty amazing. I picked up a bunch of the Under Armor Heat Gear shirts, freaking awesome! (They have them in women cut and colors too ) They wash up and dry easily too.

BTW, the best cotton T shirts I have ever worn are the Costco Kirkland brand!

Photo by Joe McCary