Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2004

Heath&Nick is on a distinguished road
Pregnancy on Board

My husband and I want to liveaboard a 30'' - 38'' sailboat but we are also hoping to start our family, too. We look forward to raising our children on board, but what I want to know is what I have to look forward to, being pregnant on a boat. We will most likely be in a slip or at anchor in familiar waters. Anyone had this experience and have any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2004

starcresttoo is on a distinguished road
Pregnancy on Board

my own opinion is that even the slight gentle rocking and rolling motion even at a marina might trigger premature contractions.My suggestion would be to consult obgyn professonals.Even if eveything was successful,the damp marine environment might not be healthy for newborns.I think the whole thing would be physically challenging with all sorts of problems,and I see a future 30-38 foot salboat for sale.
Old 09-04-2004

msl is on a distinguished road
Pregnancy on Board

Dave and Jaja Martin have written several articles and books about their livaboard adventures. They have three children, all born during their world cruising aboard a 25 foot Cal and later a 33 foot steel hulled cruiser.
Old 09-08-2004

ghostsailors is on a distinguished road
Pregnancy on Board

I have gone through 2 pregnancies while living aboard. We stayed in our slip most of the time with the 1st one because I was so nervous and had such horrible morning sickness, I couldn''t imagine going sailing. I didn''t have any problems and the doctors were never worried about me living aboard. We had a very healthy little boy. During the 2nd pregnancy we went cruising for a little over a month. I still had the morning sickness, but I dealt with it. Our little girl was as healthy as could be as well. The only thing that was any problem was the 8 1/2 months of morning sickness for both pregnancies and I think that was hereditary. Please email me if you have any other questions. It''s a wonderful life. My kids love being onboard.

Angela

P.S. My kids have been extremely healthy. They actually got more colds/ear infections when we moved off for a year to do work on the boat.
Old 10-11-2004

seame is on a distinguished road
Pregnancy on Board

Hi,
I was pregnant and had both of my children on board. The first I made the crossing from Hawaii to Seattle at 7 months pregnant. I don''t recommend that. Wow! It is amazing how much you use your stomach while sailing. My second I was in a berth most of the time, though we did some small trips.

There is no reason why you can''t be pregnant and raise your children at sea. After 20 years of sailing both of our kids are now in college and better people for having lived at sea.

Follow your heart and trust in yourself. You will be fine.

seame
Old 04-17-2005

Heath&Nick is on a distinguished road
Pregnancy on Board

Thank you for all the positive response. Even starcresttoo''s; those are all things that I have considered as drawbacks. I don''t think we could bring ourselves to sell our boat, even if the live-aboard pregnancy didn''t work.

We are packing up our landlocked lives and getting a slip in San Diego. We have family there with welcome homes incase things get to be too much for me during the not-so-distant pregnancy. Personally, I can''t think of a more relaxing place for mother-to-be, baby and all than a quiet cove off Catalina, rocking, periodically reading to my belly, hearing the water slap against the side.
We have our dream of cruising, homeschooling and more ahead of us, and I can''t wait to get started.

Thank you all again.
Heather
Old 08-20-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
I am Curious!!!

This was a great thread. I would love to hear from the women who talked about having children on board and where they are today.
Old 08-21-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Heath & Nick,

We have been there. Chase was on the boat 5 days after birth, we lived aboard soon thereafter, and I can tell you that it made many positive memories (and some not so positive ones... but that is life in general).

We had boats before kids, and after. We are moving back to FL soon in our newest boat and will very likely live aboard again (now with 2 kiddos). Go for it. Make it work. But let me warn you, it is very very different with the boys on board versus just a couple of furry children. Kids require space and things adults don't: Lying around the floor and playing cars, formula, baby food, diapers (OH LORD, THE DIAPERS>>> WHEW!!), etc.

I know there are going to be many people (and a lot of good advice) about how to avoid many of those things... but keep in mind that everyone is different. I think the hardest thing to get used to living on a boat with kids is the lack of private space. We set out certain boundaries for the boys(their own personal space) and for ourselves (Don't bother Daddy, he's in his chair).

This will be a very contentious subject, but I will throw out an opinion that many people on this forum may dissagree with (and you may too): Buy a big, fat, production cruiser that is basically a floating condo (yes, I am prepared for everyone to point out the fallacies of this, and I know them very well, but it is still my OPINION). There is nothing wrong with them, as long as your basic destination is not more than a few days from land. They are comfortable. They are less expensive than the typically same size Bwater thoroughbred that is better built (yes better built), but the dreams of distant shores and remote destinations with no access to a Pedi or any real medical care should not be taken lightly. For us at least, our kids made several visits to the hospital.

I have noticed there are many people out there with more kiddo-blue-water experience than what we have and may have many differing opinions; I happily open the forum to them. I am not the expert. But I will say, some of the best memories and pictures of our lives have been (and still are) surrounded by water. Cruisers with kids have to work harder at it, but you can do it and it is worth it.

If you have some specific questions, drop me a VM and I will throw it off to my wife. She had some motion sickness with our second, not our first. However, I think once your body gets used to the movement, the only motion sickness you will get is when you step on Terra Firma. That sounds like a joke, but I am not kidding. Once your body gets used to the movement, it has a problem when it stops.

- CD

PS I would wager that your kids will be healthier any month on the boat than ANY day in a daycare.
Old 08-21-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, some people do get seasick after getting off of a boat, after a long time aboard. The human body is amazing at adapting to various conditions, and compensating for them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-21-2006

nnelson1 is on a distinguished road
We just experienced this after just a short time on our boat this weekend!

After a couple of days of being at sea, when we were back on land, I kept asking my wife, "Do you feel like we're still moving?"

She rolled her eyes and said, "Oh, yeah.... I thought it was just me."

Weird.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.