Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Wrapping a Steering Wheel

I must say I love the look of WinterRiver's job. Very nice indeed.

I fell in love with the whipped tiller/wheel look quite some few boats ago but the first time I tried it on a wheel was on our previous. Despite lack of skill I did the whole wheel over one weekend at anchor. I've seen better work but it was not difficult and I like both the feel and the look. Were I to be faced with a plain stainless wheel again I think I'd whip it as well. Current boat has leather cover and no need to refurbish.

I've never found it overly hard on the hands though the Wombet always wears gloves so I guess she is either criticising my handiwork or she is a bit of a softy.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to tdw For This Useful Post:
DixieLee (11-26-2013)
Old 11-25-2013

WinterRiver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Huh. Funny how herSailnet always gets more posts from men than women.

Welcome to SailNet DixieLee!
Just to set the record straight, my post is from a woman. Not that that changes the men/women ratio of posters much.
Old 11-25-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Wrapping a Steering Wheel

Alex- I believe that the half hitches are called a French spiral.
Old 11-25-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Then open a HisSailNet and we can all go our separate ways, if you prefer it that way.

I do not and find nothing gender specific about this question. It's sad this forum has value for topics like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-26-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

I wrapped the SS wheel of our new-to-me cat the night before we left on a 3-day Christmas week delivery. I figured the SS wheel would be too darn cold, which was correct. A few thoughts:

* Unless you are into fancy knot work, a plain wrapping gets the job done in an hour of less.
* To my hand, a plain wrapping is more comfortable. The knots look beautiful, but I fond them irritating.
* Wear rubber-faced work gloves; the increase in grip makes for a tight wrap. Wetting the line will make it shrink-to-fit, which also helps. This is key if knots are not used; it's got to be tight. But don't get every turn tight; lay on 6 loose turns and then grab with the gloves and twist. Hold what you've got with one hand and repeat.
* I like 3/16" line (Cheap double braid--some stretch help hold the tension) better. Faster too. More insulation.

Since our wheel is under a hard top it has stayed mold free and is wearing well after ~ 3000 miles of coastal cruising (5 years).
tdw likes this.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to pdqaltair For This Useful Post:
DixieLee (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013

DixieLee is on a distinguished road

Thank you all so much/ I was starting to get discouraged about this idea but I now have renewed enthusiasm!
Old 11-26-2013
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'

SailRedemption is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterRiver View Post
I posted this project in the low-bucks project thread, and am happy to repeat it here.

The leather wrap on our wheel had seen better days. I searched online and in books for an easy, good-looking wheel wrap, and then played with some line for a few days. I came up with a simple solution.

My daughter and I wrapped our 42" wheel in a couple days with paracord. It feels good under the hands, with plenty of friction to get a good grip but not so much that it's uncomfortable. I think it looks pretty good too.

It looks like a braid, but was very simple to do:

It's just what it looks like, a single line that never wraps all the way around the wheel. It just loops back and forth. I suggest using a sailing glove, as blisters develop quickly when you're pulling paracord tight again and again and again.

No frustration with keeping multiple lines untangled, no handling of the spool of line. I hung the spool under the wheel so that the line unrolled without twisting because I think it looks better when the line doesn't have a twist in it. When we were doing the wrap, we kept the "braid" on the outside of the wheel so we could fit more wraps on. I sewed the beginning and end of the line together under the turk's head. Afterwards we moved the braid to the side for a more comfortable grip.

It took 300 feet of paracord to wrap the 42" wheel. We could have made it tighter with a bit more line, but I only had 300'. The blue matches our canvas and doesn't show dirt like the traditional white does.
That is very nice and paracord is nice stuff too! Looks great, good job!

-sent from sea via corked bottle
algee likes this.
Old 11-26-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Does anyone ever notice ? I usually just do a "NewPosts - All New Posts"and comment in threads that somehow are of interest to me. I confess I didn't even notice this was in "HerSailNet".

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
arknoah (12-04-2013)
Old 11-26-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Does anyone ever notice ? I usually just do a "NewPosts - All New Posts"and comment in threads that somehow are of interest to me. I confess I didn't even notice this was in "HerSailNet".
Ditto.

And I find it mildly offensive that constructive feedback isn't welcome without regard to gender.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-26-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Ditto.

And I find it mildly offensive that constructive feedback isn't welcome without regard to gender.
I doubt very much that Donna was attempting to stifle debate or block constructive feedback. To be frank I reckon most of us are like me and simply don't notice where we are (in a manner of speaking) and post regardless.

Also we have to remember that while the proportion of women to men has improved somewhat over the years this is still very much a male dominated site, just as sailing is a male dominated sport. HerSailNet was established as a place where women could chat amongst themselves or when men did become involved it was on the women's terms and any bloke who didn't agree or didn't behave could take a hike.
Yofy and arknoah like this.

arknoah (12-04-2013)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.