22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 Old 11-26-2013
Just another Moderator

Re: Wrapping a Steering Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Ditto.

And I find it mildly offensive that constructive feedback isn't welcome without regard to gender.
I'm also quite sure that Donna's comment was simply to say that more men post on hersailnet than women in general terms. I'm sure it wasn't directed at your post or what you said.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 Old 11-29-2013
Dragon Mod

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Ditto.

And I find it mildly offensive that constructive feedback isn't welcome without regard to gender.
You're reading way more in to what I said. That isn't what I was thinking at all and I'm sorry if that's how you interpreted it. There really wasn't anything hidden in between the words I typed.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
post #23 of 38 Old 11-29-2013

After several failures of the thin leather covers you can buy and apply, a friend and I each had an old leather coat we no longer used. I cut inch wide strips and glued them together end to end with Gorilla Glue and wound the strip around the wheel...gluing the end as well. Thick leather steering wheel that really feels good and has been on for over 5 years...and I don't have a dodger, and my 37 foot boat stays in the water year round.

Moe
arknoah likes this.
post #24 of 38 Old 12-04-2013
s/v Ilya

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Does anyone ever notice ? I usually just do a "NewPosts - All New Posts"and comment in threads that somehow are of interest to me. I confess I didn't even notice this was in "HerSailNet".
I agree, though I didn't see anything offensive in DR Ferron's remarks. I saw it simply as a commentary and not a complaint: witness the smiley face she placed in the post.

There have been times when I've responded to something then thought that my post might not be welcome, so I didn't put it in. On the other hand, I've posted a few times when I felt I could contribute to the conversation, like a post I made long ago about life vests for women after I purchased a specific model for my wife.

For this thread, I just think the wrappings are too cool not to comment on. Great job all!

Ilya's Adventures:

post #25 of 38 Old 12-04-2013
s/v Ilya

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgiguere View Post
After several failures of the thin leather covers you can buy and apply, a friend and I each had an old leather coat we no longer used. I cut inch wide strips and glued them together end to end with Gorilla Glue and wound the strip around the wheel...gluing the end as well. Thick leather steering wheel that really feels good and has been on for over 5 years...and I don't have a dodger, and my 37 foot boat stays in the water year round.

Moe
Now that's my kind of do it yourself!

Ilya's Adventures:

post #26 of 38 Old 12-04-2013
no longer reading SailNet

I sailed on a friend's boat last weekend which did have a rougher cord used to wrap the wheel. It probably made the wrapping take one third of the time, but made the wheel a lot less comfortable to use without gloves.

If you do this use a small diameter cord with a soft and comfortable casing. Don't use something rough like paracord.

I'm no longer participating on SailNet.
post #27 of 38 Old 12-04-2013

I suppose you could use bicycle handle wrap
post #28 of 38 Old 12-04-2013

They make kits of padded synthetic suede material that you just stitch on. It's on my wish list.

The first thing on my wish list is to finish my to-do list, so I can get to my wish list.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #29 of 38 Old 12-05-2013
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihullgirl View Post
I suppose you could use bicycle handle wrap
I debated suggesting that myself...The difficulty is that you would have to use multiple wraps. (A ship's wheel is much larger than half a handlebar.) I was able to find a bulk/continuous tape, but it was not cheap ~$150.
post #30 of 38 Old 12-06-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Just start and stop at each spoke on the wheel, then put a decorative knot over those junctions.

I would probably use the older style sticky backed cloth tape than modern foam tape. The modern foam (sometimes misleadingly sold as cork) tape isn't as durable and might only last a few years. At $10-$15 for a bicycle handlebars worth you are probably looking at $50-$100 to cover an average sized wheel, and that could get expensive over the years.

Overall it is a good idea and one that I might try when the whipping on my wheel wears out (or gets too grungy to be happy with).
ottos likes this.

I'm no longer participating on SailNet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.