Wrapping a Steering Wheel - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 43 Old 12-06-2013

Re: Wrapping a Steering Wheel

I took a week long cruise years ago on a Maine schooner (Stephen Taber), and a lot of their handles, brooms, brushes, etc...were wrapped in Seine twine. That stuff is tough. Zero stretch. Good to wear gloves, and comes in many colors. I think you can get the black coated in something.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 12-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshock View Post
I took a week long cruise years ago on a Maine schooner (Stephen Taber), and a lot of their handles, brooms, brushes, etc...were wrapped in Seine twine. That stuff is tough. Zero stretch. Good to wear gloves, and comes in many colors. I think you can get the black coated in something.
The black stuff looks cool, but it's tarred and I don't think I want it on my boat.

You bring up a good point: I've wrapped many hand holds in addition to the wheel. Not all of them--some you like to slide your hand along--but certain ones, mostly in the cabin, where the stainless was too slick. Big improvement.
StillSalty likes this.

(when asked how he reached the starting holds on a difficult rock climbing problem that clearly favored taller climbers - he was perhaps 5'5")

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 43 Old 12-07-2013

I did my wheel seven years ago with an unpadded cover from Boat Leather. Even with a jig to hold the wheel it took me seven hours. The results were well worth the effort, it still looks and feels great. I do have a Sunbrella cover for the helm and the wheel lives below when hauled.
post #34 of 43 Old 01-09-2014

I finished coachwhipping mine last week. Something I have wanted to do for a while now. For a first attempt at tying fancy knots, I think it turned out pretty good.

You can read about the process on Chameleon's site: Coachwhipping the Wheel - SVChameleon

If you surrender to the wind, you can ride it. Toni Morrison

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow Chameleon's travels at:
post #35 of 43 Old 08-06-2014

The wheels in all these pics look great. But, I think the best wheel cover is from Colorwheelz. It is a vinyl covering. You send the wheel in (they have excellent directions on how to box the wheel up. You get the wheel back very quickly...mine was about a week. You pick the color and a few other details. Looks and feels great. I would highly recommend it.
Rob
post #36 of 43 Old 08-06-2014

If you surrender to the wind, you can ride it. Toni Morrison

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"

Follow Chameleon's travels at:
post #37 of 43 Old 06-11-2015
S/V DreamWeaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterRiver View Post
I posted this project in the low-bucks project thread, and am happy to repeat it here.

The leather wrap on our wheel had seen better days. I searched online and in books for an easy, good-looking wheel wrap, and then played with some line for a few days. I came up with a simple solution.

My daughter and I wrapped our 42" wheel in a couple days with paracord. It feels good under the hands, with plenty of friction to get a good grip but not so much that it's uncomfortable. I think it looks pretty good too.

It looks like a braid, but was very simple to do:

It's just what it looks like, a single line that never wraps all the way around the wheel. It just loops back and forth. I suggest using a sailing glove, as blisters develop quickly when you're pulling paracord tight again and again and again.

No frustration with keeping multiple lines untangled, no handling of the spool of line. I hung the spool under the wheel so that the line unrolled without twisting because I think it looks better when the line doesn't have a twist in it. When we were doing the wrap, we kept the "braid" on the outside of the wheel so we could fit more wraps on. I sewed the beginning and end of the line together under the turk's head. Afterwards we moved the braid to the side for a more comfortable grip.

It took 300 feet of paracord to wrap the 42" wheel. We could have made it tighter with a bit more line, but I only had 300'. The blue matches our canvas and doesn't show dirt like the traditional white does.

This looks amazing. Did you use nylon or polyester paracord? My DH is concerned about nylon stretching when wet.
post #38 of 43 Old 06-11-2015

I think it the paracord is nylon, since that's what's available online cheap. It has tightened over time.
post #39 of 43 Old 01-04-2016

Hey, WinterRiver, Love that blue coachwhipping you did, with the turks knot! How do you start that coachwhipping, please? Can't seem to find that particular whipping in the books I have available. Any help would be great! I'd be coachwhipping tomorrow. Thanks for any help, Kevin
post #40 of 43 Old 01-06-2016

Thanks, Kevin. I have never seen it in a book either. With a single line that never wraps completely around the wheel, I think it's far easier to do than most other versions.

To start the coachwhipping I wrapped the cord around once and sewed the end to the cord. Then I looped the cord back on itself around the wheel, put a second loop through the first, and tightened the first loop around the second. Back around the wheel, another loop through the previous loop, tighten again, etc. I suspect you've already figured all of this out by fiddling around with some line.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.