Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2007
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by werebeagle
I had not hear that. I wear my pfd under the foulies so I don't need to remove the PFD to put on or remove the roulie jacket. I don't see where that would change the flotation quality of the PFD, but I've been wrong before.
If it is a non-inflatable PFD you can wear it beneath an outer; but inflatable (Type IV) or Offshore Type I should be worn outside. The inflatable will not work properly if trapped beneath an outer layer and would restrict movement to remove an outer shell if it inflates beneath clothing. The Type I would be too bulky to wear beneath clothes and it would probably restrict your movement on deck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2007

MarkMiner is on a distinguished road
Hi -
My husband got me a foul weather jacket from Helly Hanson and it's my favorite one I've ever owned - I got the red and black one and it's a very flattering fit. Good luck! Wife of a sailor - Kris
Old 01-23-2007

kjsailingSpring is on a distinguished road
Companies inconsiderate to women

Henri Lloyd and several other marine foul weather clothing makers infuriate me with their color choice for women's gear. Men get yellow and bright red foul weather gear so that they can be seen if they fall overboard. Women get powder blue and lavender! I spent this past weekend at the boat show trying on foul weather gear and I need a woman's cut in the jacket. The most comfortable gear I found was from an australian company but they only had white. That will blend it great with the white-caps in a storm or with the all white cockpit on my boat! When I asked told the salesman that I was hesitant to go with white, he said I shouldn't worry about it, that it was not like I'd get it dirty working on the engine.

Long story cut short...I went with Gill. If its good enough for the coast guard, it should work for me and they had plenty of red to choose from. Comfortable and great cut for an active female solo sailor.
Old 01-23-2007

ericob is on a distinguished road
Foul Weather Gear

I was reading the comments and was wondering if anyone ever looked at www.nrsweb.com ? They sell kayaking gear. I do alot of whitewater kayaking and my undergear stays dry even after rolling a few times with the drytops. Not looking for something so water tight you might want to check out the sea kayaking jackets. Just a thought. Let me know what you thing?
Old 01-23-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
kj, the same thing (pretty colors) happened in the SCUBA industry 20 years ago. Boatbabebimbos want pretty colors, so someone is going to sell them what they want as long as their sugardaddies are happy to buy it.

Not to worry, if enough of them go sailing and fall overboard in the pretty colors, the survivors will improve the gene pool while wearing bright colors!

OTOH, since many of them are no doubt wearing "logos" not really sailing anywhere in them...This is like North Face (once a serious mountaineering supplier, now a ghetto fashion) or Nautica (fashion from the first but copied after sailing gear).

Years ago I looked at Line7 gear from NZ which was, at the time, a reasonable alternative. Except their men's gear all had the zippers backwards, i.e. "womens" style. Which confused my hands when I reached for the zipper that just was on the wrong side. Back it went. Luckily HL was dumping good old gear in favor of new stylish stuff in lime green (instead of plain yellow) and I decided that at 60% off, yellow would be good enough for me!

Last edited by hellosailor; 01-23-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-30-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
A loud Hear! Hear! to hellosailor. Does Eddie Bauer ring a bell of the same note? Extremely discouraging when the company in question was producing top quality gear not to be found readily elsewhere.
Old 02-02-2007

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
With what this clothing costs, I think versatility is a key factor. For myself, I favor a GoreTex mountain shell and a selection of fleece liners or layers that can be used under it. It may not have reflective patches, but that is what your harness/life vest is for.

For really wet days, you need a pair of equally weatherproof trousers, and I like the overall style with the shoulder straps.

Finally, good foul weather gear is no good if your shoes fill up with water. A nice pair of 8" or perhaps higher sea boots keeps that from happening.
Old 05-05-2007

Tucks is on a distinguished road
Question Bibs or Pants?

Apart from staying dry I had a rather bad accident a couple of weeks ago while in a race. I got into a fight with a jib sheet on a 40 foot sailing boat and lost big time. I have burns from ankle to thigh. My elbows and wrist even burned. I was very lucky not have been injured even worse. I have thought about buying sailing bibs or pants to protect myself from injury and weather. I live in New Orleans so heat is a real issue. It never really gets cold so finding sailing gear to match the hot, wet weather has proven difficult. Are bibs the way to go? These can be pulled on over shorts to offer some protection from both sheets and weather. Are pants better? What do you all prefer? Right now I'm wearing nylon capris, simply because that's what I already own. I need some good advice because I really don't want to get burned or skinned again.

Thanks.
Tucks
Old 05-05-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Tucks, the only difference between bibs and pants is the panel on your chest, and I don't think that would protect much more than a good shirt.

Either one over shorts is about as good as you'll get, look for one with a lining scrim or a breathable fabric because that helps. If it is warm enough, I can deal with a jacket to keep my core temp up while just wearing quick-dry Supplex pants and letting my legs stay wet but covered.

Next time remember, the boat is always stronger. You're allowed to fight dirty and trick it.
Old 08-01-2007

Goofygirl is on a distinguished road
The best foulies are Musto. West Marine is going to drop all lines in their store within the next year and bring in their own, not that they have much anyway. Buying West is like making your own stuff! I have been pretty happy with my Henri Lloyd women's drop seat so far. Try stuff on is always best too.