Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
60 miles will be a long one day trip, even motoring. It would be best, given the amount of time the boat has set, to have sails available, in case the engine doesn't last the whole trip. Or at least have someone with a powerboat go along with you. I would hope you will have someone on the boat with you (or 2 or 3). At the very least, you should have a VHF radio that works.

You have a great opportunity, don't let haste or anything else keep you from seeing it through.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2006

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Under that film of dirt, a nice-looking boat, lovely hull lines.

Yes, you may need to replace halyards, but ask your surveyor obout this, and see if you can't get a half-decent main and jib halyard in place, even if jury-rigged, for your trip. If you have wire halyards, and the rope tails have been inside the mast, they may still work--again, ask your surveyor. You can use most anything for temporary sheets, even your dock lines, but you'll want to be able to raise main and jib just in case.

Think of it this way--if you have available sails, your engine will run fine--if you don't, it might just figure a way to die on you. Kind of like washing your car to make sure it rains.

If you have, or can borrow, a dinghy with an outboard to tow along, that's your backup auxiliary engine in case the Yanmar conks out and you're becalmed. You'll need a second crew for this, which is a good idea anyway.

Have fun, we're jealous, I'd like someone to give me a pretty 36' sloop. There are some down here (New Orleans), but wrecked, sunk, or full of holes post-K.
Old 03-24-2006

bram brata is on a distinguished road
Your boat's a beauty and well worth your future efforts. The cascades were/are built in Portland, Oregon and I know they'll be happy to help if you have any structural questions. It might be worth your time to visit them with photos, questions, etc -great group of people.
Old 03-25-2006

sailandoar is on a distinguished road
Rudder Shaft ???

If the prop and prop shaft are toast then you need to be sure and check the rudder shaft. If the rudder shaft has issues that can be an expensive repair/replacement. The boat looks like a pleasant one but be careful about a cheap boat and "all you have to do is fix it up". When getting into a project on an older boat it is VERY VERY easy to end up putting more money into it than you can ever get out. That raises some issues: (a) what is your goal and (b) what are your current finances.
(a) If the goal is to sail and move about on the water and
(b) your finances can support the repairs then maybe you should go out and find a boat that is ready to sail with the repair money.

By the time you replace/repair prop/shaft/?strut?/?Rudder?/Main/jib/?storm sails?/electronics/ running rigging/ ?some of standing rigging? / year or two of rent while fixing / wear and tear on you while ......... work work, no sailing, work work work, no sail, work work work .... you may well have spent .....?......?.......?....$12K to $20K. If you are not able to do much of the work your self it can get discouraging quickly spending $60/Hr for every warm body that is standing anywhere near your boat while it's in the yard.

Look around on Yachtworld and Traderonline and see what you can find for the possible cost of restoration. It may be that you will be sailing in real style this spring and the old boat will be no where near but it will have been the catylast. Also it may be that some one that is very handy and who has time and tools but little money will be the perfect one to take over the 10 years of neglect.
Old 03-26-2006

erdagte is on a distinguished road
Before you get discouraged regarding the expense of boat owner and restoring major systems, I think you need to keep it in perspective.

Do you absolutely NEED to go sailing right away? Is you boat your only means of life support? Probably not. So you have all the time in the world to work on your boat and save enough money for parts and repairs.

Like you, I'm a little lady who bought a big boat. Didn't know a thing at first. The survey helped, but more than that was finding good folks on the dock who explained what this-and-that was for. You don't know what you don't know... so don't get discouraged when things don't work the first time out.

I'd also recommend Nigel Calder's books; if there's a problem, the answer is in Nigel's books.
Old 03-26-2006

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
I would add one other thought. Boatyards are NOT the place to do "economical" long term major repairs. For anything that takes longer then a month or three, I would seriously investigate a short term rental or even looking around to borrow some land or even a big shed/factory space and have the boat trucked in and set up to be worked on.

In our case it certainly worked. We racked up debts at the boatyard, got less work done and were at the mercy of the elements. Being able to use a vacant factory/wharehouse space much closer to our home(and my workshop) was cheaper and undercover and kept away the distractions.
The only downside is if you need boatyard workers to actually work ont he boat, if you are truly doing it for yourself, getting the boat moved to cheaper real estate is very practical.

Sasha
Old 03-29-2006

dpaul04@hotmail.com is on a distinguished road
Cool

Try look for good used sails. I find that i have had good luck with the people at Atlantic Sail Traders. www.usedsails.com Also find the surplus part houses in your area and go there often. You can never know what you might find. Good luck in your endevors

DRP
Old 03-29-2006

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
www.baconsail.com very good
Old 04-27-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Was the boat stored/sailed/neglected in salt water or fresh? If the hull hasn't blistered, then it is very likely that the hull is fairly sound... blistering, at least on a fiberglass boat, would be a sign of problems, and would have occurred given the 10-years of recent neglect. The other major worries are the keel attachment point, and the deck core delamination. Some of the older boats had solid decks, and don't have this problem, but I don't believe that this is the case.

Good luck, and always happy to help if I can. PM me if you have any specific questions.
Old 06-15-2006

resdog is on a distinguished road
You certainly have an adventure ahead of you. Personally...I would never attempt a 60 mile trip on an engine that hasn't been run in ten years, or one that was just started up occasionally to charge batteries. Consider the condition of all fuel lines and electric systems and crud/water in the fuel tank, raw water impeller, etc. If you have to move it by water, try to find a good friend with a powerboat and tow it to your destination.