Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2006
Administrator

administrator has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillInShock
Hi All
It's hauled out in an expensive boatyard, and I feel like I have a "take advantage of me" sign on my back. Of course it shows that I'm a rank beginner.
Suzanne
Welcome to the club. I cringe when I think about the money I gave away to crooks when I first got started in boating and over the years I have come to trust a few mechanics, riggers and glassmen who now get all of my business....

Some say you live and learn.

I say: You live and spend...

Last edited by administrator; 06-15-2006 at 08:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"the money I gave away to crooks" Yeah, don't think they are going to take advantage of you because you are a women. They'll take advantage of ANYONE they can. They honest vendors, the good mechanics...they're like gold and you'll only find them by the greatest of luck, or asking around until the same names pop up as blessed.

60 miles for a maiden trip...You might want to join BOAT-US and check out the towing insurance rates for members. In the worst case, if you need a tow...better this once to buy the year's insurance than get the big surprise out on the water. (And it WILL be a surprise.)

In the event that you are on the water within sight of "civilization" and for some reason the VHF radio doesn't work (note, buy a handheld or borrow one for your trip, don't trust whatever is aboard and unused for so long) in most of the US you can also dial *CG from any cell phone and you'll be connected directly to a USCG dispatcher. Most of the cell companies forget they ever offered the service, but it still seems to exist.
Old 06-16-2006
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Welcome from a fellow Puget Sounder.
Old 06-16-2006

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Sign up for Towboat US or BoatUS with unlimited towing. It wll cost you abou $100 for a year and that way if your motor breaks down on your trip home you can get them to tow you the rest of the way at no additional cost plus you'll have a year of unlimited towing civerage left, always nice to have.
Old 06-16-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
Hi Still In Shock.
As you can see, everyone goes through this at least once.. My advice is to go to your local Barnes and Noble and pick up a few books on do-it boat repair. For example, Modern Boat Maintenance. Even if you don't plan on fixing the boat yourself, you can at least figure out where to start and what you actually need. You can actually avoid getting ripped off just by seeming to understand what it is you are talking about. Enjoy yourself!
Old 06-16-2006

Skyking2 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Still in shock

Hello, You have just inherited a very good boat. The boat was built by Yacht Contsructors in Portland and one of the original owners is still living I believe. The company was purchased and is still producing boats under the name Cascade Yachts, LLC.. So you (and other Cascade boat owners) are probably one of the few owners of OLD boats who can still get information about your boat from the Manufacturer. Listen to your surveyor and these folks on the forum they are givng you good advice. Have a great time with your new Baby.
P.S. You may already know what I just ran on about.
Fair Winds
Old 06-17-2006

Lostmt is on a distinguished road
Suzanne,
I am glad you made this post. I was thinking of buying a fix her up on ebay but have changed my mind. We are a long ways from any sailboat up here in Montana to even look at one. It's been my dream all my life to own and live on one.

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

Have a great weekend
David
Old 06-17-2006

SeaVenture is on a distinguished road
out there without sails

I come from a divided family. Half are stink potters, the other half sailors. Guess who always gets home?

My kids (stink potters to the core because that's how you waterski, Mom) took me out one day last summer. And, as happens far too often, the motor quit. Fortunately for them, Mom the sailor was on board. We drifted until we could turn away from the wind, lowered the bimini to catch it, and sailed home. We couldn't tack, of course, and were limited to one point of sail. But, hey, it was better than swimming. I don't think the local fishermen had ever seen a ski boat sail before.

Right now Sea Venture's main boom is being rebuilt and my husband wants us to go play on the water without a main. I told him he's not getting me far from land unless the mizzen and genny are hoistable (we're putting in new Strong Track on both masts and new roller furling on the two headsail stays). I know he's the mechanical genius and his baby, the diesel, purrs. But after all those years of breakdowns in our NC boats (before Michael the genius entered the family), I'm hesitant to go anywhere in this cold, deep CA water without a rag to fly me home. I doubt Sea Venture's bimini will do the trick!

As for buying old boats and fixing them, we've been doing that for ages, but I'd sure hate to be at the mercy of a boatyard (as we were in Mexico for nine months). Now that we're doing all the work ourselves, we can pace it and know it's done the way it should be.

Blessings,
Normandie
Old 06-17-2006
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
No friggin' way!!!

60 miles?!?! Consult Sea Tow or any other tow company you can find for a tow, or as mentioned, a friend with a powerboat. See what kind of deal you can wrangle for a tow from point A to point B. You have a fine starting point in that boat. Don't risk getting out there and losing power, worse yet, spring a leak and have no juice tp pump it out. Have the biggest portable bilge pump you can find, and a serious deep cycle battery onboard. and ready. Even the portables are available with automatic switches that will kick in when water is sensed. After 10 years, you should plan on a thorough hull inspection. Wait, you said she was hauled out, right? Just get her hauled by truck. Don't skimp on the costs now. After all, BOAT stands for "Bring Out Another Thousand". You're gonna need to check/replace some seacocks, etc, so it's best to have her out of the water anyway. Yeah, I'm over-cautious, but that way, you get lots of second chances. You can only (usually) sink her once.
Old 06-21-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
Please keep us updated!