Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2006

StillInShock is on a distinguished road
Suddenly inherited old boat

Hi All

I was thrilled to find a women oriented site.

I recently got a really cool old sailboat (old is 1970). It's been mostly neglected for the last 10 years, and I am resurrecting it.

It's hauled out in an expensive boatyard, and I feel like I have a "take advantage of me" sign on my back. Of course it shows that I'm a rank beginner.

I don't have a specific question, I don't even know how to ask an intelligent question, lol.

Suzanne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2006

nolatom will become famous soon enough
congratulations--take a deep breath--

and tell us some basics:

What kind of boat? Made of wood or fiberglass? How big? diesel or gasoline, inboard or outboard? What kind of sails, and how old? Wood spars, or aluminum?

You might want to consider hiring a good yacht surveyor to look over the boat and tell you what it really needs, and what can wait. The boatyard guys will be happy to work on it as long as you pay, the surveyor can tell you-and them-when to stop. You might need a survey to get insurance anyway.

For some of us, a 1970 boat isn't quite that "old". Let us know, and good luck.
Old 03-22-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Very good point

Getting a survey can take that "take advantage of me" sign off your back. A competent surveryor, will be working for you, not the boatyard, and tell you what really needs to be fixed. Or, even if it's worth fixing in the first place. It will be money well spent.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-22-2006

locrian13 is on a distinguished road
Congrats and welcome aboard!

I agree wholeheartedly with the advice re: getting a survey. This will give you a much better picture of what needs to be done (i.e.: what will make/keep her seaworthy) versus what would be nice to have done (cosmetic/convenience things).

I don't know what kind of boat you have...do a bit of looking and see if there is some sort of organization of folks who have your same type of boat. These organizations can be great resources for very specific questions about your particular boat.

You didn't mention how much sailing experience you have...if you are new to sailing as well as to boat ownership, a good class will be well worth the money and time.

Again, welcome!

Old 03-22-2006

abigal50 is on a distinguished road
Congratulations

Wow - how lucky are you? Do say more about size, material, condition etc etc.

I really agree with the advice about finding a good surveyor. And asking yourself how to know if they are any good! I don't know where you are and how it works, but in the UK there is a proper association of yacht surveyors and anyone you use should be a member. Also, ask local yacht brokers who they know and rate. Also, you may want some specific expertise, for example if the boat is made of steel or wood or has an unusual rig. Try and find a surveyor with specific knowledge in that area or issue - again by asking them.

It really helps to tell them your position and what you need. You might pay slightly more for the survey but you'll get much better info.

Sorry if this is telling you to suck eggs, but hope it actually helps.
Old 03-22-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Suzanne,

"It's hauled out in an expensive boatyard"
Welcome to boating.
You are learning the first lesson about boating - it is an expensive hobby. FWIW any boatyard is expensive, they split between just expensive, really expensive,a nd goqawful expensive...Getting an older boat free is like having parents who pay the 20% down on a mortgage for a first-time buyer's house - you may be in the house, but you will be paying every month - the only question is how much.

If you figure out the boat make and model, board members can give you estimates of base annual operating costs to consider, $100-$200 per foot is a ballpark, assuming you use your labor for all the maintenance work (typically 3-6 weekends a year, if no rain...). Of course the big question is whether the free vessel has been continually maintained and upgraded by the previous owners - if not your ownership could start to involve some real money.

Good luck, boating has a lot of rewards for the fans ( or are we fanatics?), but this free gift is likely to cost you a lot of money.
Old 03-22-2006

I always wanted a sailboat

Hi, and thanks for replying...

It's a 36' Cascade, with a Yanmar 3M Deisel. It's been neglected for 10 years.

When we hauled it out last week, the old zincs just fell off to the ground like mud. The propeller shaft and strut were completely electrolyzed away (there's 2 grand).

When we got the prop off (I was trying to pull it off by hand until one of the boatyard shop guys stopped me lol), we found that it was the wrong shaft size (and much too big for my 20 hp engine) - not sure what to do about that because I have found out that prop size is a complicated issue.

I did get a survey on Monday but have not gotten the results yet, but I do plan to make my list from that.

I think the mainsail is toast, and I haven't gotten a good look at the other sails yet.

The engine has not been started for 10 years, so we are giving it a tune-up and are going to try to start it when we get it back in the water (hopefully soon! ).

If that goes well, I can motor it 60 miles to where I live, then fix it up at my leisure.

Whew! It's a lot for me. I've sailed on other people's boats, but of course I always left the docking to the owner. I'm little and the boat is big, so we'll have to see how that goes.

I live in the Puget Sound area, so there's a lot of sailing and cruising to be done. Somebody's got to do it, might as well be me

Suzanne
Old 03-22-2006

nolatom will become famous soon enough
That's not such bad news. the Cascade's a nice-looking and stout little boat, and the electrolysis is the price one pays for 10-year old zincs. Expensive, but if that's the only major problem, then not bad for a long-neglected boat. They don't have much exterior wood trim, which is not as beautiful but good for non-maintenance and keeping your repair bills down.

Listen to your surveyor and be guided accordingly. These boats, in good condition, seem to list in the $30-40K range. So you can spend a little money and it'd probably be worth it.

Just some general advice: if you're going 60 miles offshore to bring her home, and the main's indeed shot, borrow a mainsail from someone, even if a bit undersized. It's not a good idea to make a passage on engine alone, you want to have at least a main of some size (preferably reefable) and a working jib as a backup--if you need them, you'll really appreciate it, and the sails will make the motion in a sea much nicer even if you're primarily motoring. It goes without saying that you'll also want the typical safety gear (firefighting, lifesaving) and good anchor and rode, and a VHF radio.

Apologize if I'm telling you what you already know.
Old 03-22-2006

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
As the above post advises...my other siuggestion would be to hunt around and see if these boats have a club or soemthing and if there are any enthuisiasts in your area (for yachting enthuisiasts, " your area" defines as about 200 miles), ask for advice and see if anyone has a spare mainsail and maybe some spare time to help you sail the boat back, having someone that knows the foibles and characteristics on bord for even the 60mile slog to home will short cut about a moneth or two of learning you would do from the ground up.

Sasha
Old 03-23-2006

Sailing it???

Hmmm

I kinda thought sailing it for now was out of the question.

The lines all need to be replaced, and I'd like to have the rigging checked too.

My first priority is to get her home, then do all the work that needs to be done...

Otherwise, sailing is so much more fun than motoring! I just love the gentle sounds of moving though the water under sail.

Luckily, the entire trip home will be in Puget Sound, on a calm sunny day (or two), so no big seas.

Here's pictures...

www.geocities.com/river_girl1/sailboat