Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re-Decorating/Cushion Covers?

This is posted in "herSailNet" as our boat is really my wife's but that is another story and anyone is invited to chime in.

"Our" boat is finished with lots of brass fixtures and wine red crushed velvet cushion covers, somewhat resembling (in my view) a late 1890's bordello. (See snap below) Never-the-less, my (much) better half loves the look. Unfortunately, however, since she can't curb her tendency to put her feet on the furniture, at one point she managed to punch a small (say 1/4") hole in a prominent location on one cushion in the settee with the spiked heel of her shoe (while we were in our slip of course).

My thought was to take the cover off and have a little Star or something similar embroidered over the "wound" with color matching thread. She, however, wants to re-cover the settee cushions, only, with a similar colored crushed velvet but with a gold "leaf" pattern woven in. (The material is actually pretty nice in a kind of 1890's bordello sense.) As the cost of doing the entire salon in this fabric is "material" (and she's paying for it considering the circumstances of the needed replacement!) her idea is to re-cover the settee seat and back rest cushions, only, with this fabric. She argues that the fabric is complementary to the existing cushion covers and that there is no need for "all" the cushions in the salon to match, just as the fabric covers of the furniture in the living and other rooms of our house are not a match but are complimentary. I'm not sure how to respond or how others might react when the day comes that we have to pass the yacht on to the next "custodian" (as one never really "owns" a yacht, but merely has temporary custody).

Any thoughts? Agreement? Demurs?
Attached Thumbnails
Re-Decorating/Cushion Covers?-salon-2-2.jpg  
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:00 PM. Reason: Correct typo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 3 Weeks Ago

bblument is on a distinguished road
Re: Re-Decorating/Cushion Covers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
I'm not sure how to respond or how others might react when the day comes that we have to pass the yacht on to the next "custodian" (as one never really "owns" a yacht, but merely has temporary custody).

Any thoughts? Agreement? Demurs?
Just a general comment. I'm slightly color blind--not enough to influence my ability to pass basic color recognition tests for aviation medical exams, but enough so my wife thinks I'm crazy when it comes to articulating subtle shade differences or picking out clothes that match --- so I'm not going to comment on whether or not the 1890's bordello look is a good or bad idea... what do I know! Decorating decisions I leave up to my wife... except that I have veto power over pinks and floral patterns in areas where I have to spend time. I'm an earth tone, cave-dweller kind of guy when it comes to decorating, and everyone else hates that... so I bend.

Whenever we make changes in our house, we've come to the realization that there's no point in worrying about what the next owner will like. WE live here, and WE want to enjoy it the way WE'D like to see it. If the next prospective owner is too lazy to paint and decorate it the way they want it ... the heck with'em. Sure, if we're crazy nutso with off the wall colors and textures, we might loose a couple grand on resale... but we will have lived for years in totally OUR house. Small price to pay in my opinion. I don't see why a boat should be any different. Choose the colors and fabrics that you and your wife like... end of story.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry
Old 3 Weeks Ago

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I agree with Barry if it's what she wants and she's in charge of boat finances and the boat then really you just need to retreat and be happy your wife wears stiletto heels in the bordello that is the salon.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road

Her style choice isn't really my cup of tea.
But, she's paying for it and it's her boat, dude. And who cares what future owners might think? If they don't like it, they can change it. Fabric choice isn't going to be a deal breaker.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 3 Weeks Ago

ehlsail is on a distinguished road

I'm still early on in my search for my next boat and I have seen some truly questionable interiors. From the pic you have I'd say it's not that bad. It wouldn't be my first choice, but I could live with it if it made my wife happy.