Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: For Us Female Navigators Out There

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I think "old ways" depends on where you sail. My current "old way" is using a paper chart as backup. I'm not crossing an ocean. A sextant is not practical for where I sail, always within site of land.
Turn the sextant sideways and you can get angles between landmarks.
DRFerron and paikea like this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 4 Weeks Ago

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Yep! "old school" works here too. .. In sight of land .. HH compass to shoot bearings to charted objects an. BINGO! location!
Coastal Nav. in bigger waters where ya just might need to cross..say, Pamlico Snd, out of sight of land??

I hope your SA is good enuff ta figger out. that a. right hand turn while going S.. will bring. you back to shore........Some time! A couple minutes off over a few miles will *still* get ya within' shouting distance of the mark.. A couple thousand miles? Not so close

Paul,
SoP navigator
Mr. Bubs likes this.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Women doing navigation? Sure, next you'll be telling me they're going to make the coffee.

Does it never end?
paikea likes this.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Turn the sextant sideways and you can get angles between landmarks.
I forgot - for an object with a known height (like a lighthouse or a tower) you can calculate the distance with a sextant and a little trigonometry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaten View Post
Coastal Nav. in bigger waters where ya just might need to cross..say, Pamlico Snd, out of sight of land??
DR and a depth sounder - and a chart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaten View Post
A couple minutes off over a few miles will *still* get ya within' shouting distance of the mark.. A couple thousand miles? Not so close
It's hard to miss a continent. *grin* "Besides if we get lost we'll just pull in somewheres and ask directions."

I guess the latter was the approach of the overloaded powerboat that flagged me down in the shadow of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and the Greenbury Point antenna towers to ask where Annapolis was. *sigh*
DRFerron and paikea like this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

jerryRiggin is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the feedback! Has anyone tried Plotter Sync to automatically sync a plotter unit and map on iPad or iPhone? According to their website: "Starting with Navionics Boating version 7.1 for iPhone and iPad, you can update your charts and upload your sonar logs directly from your boat! Navionics Plotter Sync allows boaters to connect a Raymarine multifunction display to Navionics servers wirelessly on the internet through a Navionics Boating mobile app."
Old 1 Week Ago

paikea is on a distinguished road

I just got this today. I was reading about it, annoyed me I couldn't hold one in my hands and check/touch what I was reading about.
Well, I don't have a boat yet, but I do have a sextant! Good job to myself.

[IMG][/IMG]
DRFerron likes this.
Man is the dream of the dolphin.”
Old 1 Week Ago
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Kinda still within this topic, one of my absolute criteria for Next Boat is a * true * nav station. Many new boatmakers are doing away with it to save space and because laptops/iPads/tablets, etc. don't take up as much room as a chart.

I want my nav station. I want to be able to sit in front of it and work. I want to be able to spread a chart out on it.
fryewe likes this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 1 Week Ago
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

paikea-
I have heard from a number of sources that those are mainly "decorative" reproductions coming out of India. No idea how they compare to a Davis plastic sextant but I would suggest you start with one of the sextant guides that tell you how to check for sextant error and alignment, and see if it needs any of that before you start. If you wind up having frustrating errors in your sight reductions...it could very well be instrument error and a limit of what the sextant can do.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
paikea-
I have heard from a number of sources that those are mainly "decorative" reproductions coming out of India. No idea how they compare to a Davis plastic sextant but I would suggest you start with one of the sextant guides that tell you how to check for sextant error and alignment, and see if it needs any of that before you start. If you wind up having frustrating errors in your sight reductions...it could very well be instrument error and a limit of what the sextant can do.
Very much in agreement with your post hellosailor. Even though the one I bought seemed to have good reviews, I still expect that it might have issues with it and for sure it will need to be aligned before use. I am reading a celestial navigation book and its all explained in there. When I am done with the educational purpose, if its really a bad one, I can get a new one from a better source and my niece and nephew will love this one as a present anyhow.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Kinda still within this topic, one of my absolute criteria for Next Boat is a * true * nav station. Many new boatmakers are doing away with it to save space and because laptops/iPads/tablets, etc. don't take up as much room as a chart.

I want my nav station. I want to be able to sit in front of it and work. I want to be able to spread a chart out on it.
Donna, yes, totally understand that, its probably a similar concept as to why I still love hardcopy books as opposed to kindle. It will still take me a long time to adjust to kindle. I am not sure I ever will.
Same with navigation, I have nothing against electronics, they have their very good use and they are very welcomed, but plotting a route on a chart its like giving you an awareness that the other "easy" ways cannot do. It actually makes you think and be there. Also reading maps its like reading in different languages.