Canvas Ideas - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 10-07-2015 Thread Starter

Canvas Ideas

HI Ladies,

Recently I have been getting very into sewing on my boat and have made quite a few projects. I have been having a blast making things according to our needs on the boat, and getting creative with a few sail bags.

I'm wondering if anyone has any patterns they'd like to share?!

Here is one I did recently for a rope bag/cockpit caddy:

How to: Rope Bags or Pockets for your Sailboat | svgimmeshelter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 10-07-2015
The most female moderator

Dock
Re: Canvas Ideas

Great idea for a thread! I think a lot of the guys on the forum do canvas work as well. I know of one who bought a machine and made a padded hatch board holder.

A sewing machine for sail repair/boat projects is still only an item on my list of things to buy.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
The Following User Says Thank You to Donna_F For This Useful Post:
SVGimmeShelter (10-07-2015)
post #3 of 35 Old 10-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVGimmeShelter View Post
HI Ladies,

Recently I have been getting very into sewing on my boat and have made quite a few projects. I have been having a blast making things according to our needs on the boat, and getting creative with a few sail bags.

I'm wondering if anyone has any patterns they'd like to share?!

Here is one I did recently for a rope bag/cockpit caddy:
Saw those on your blog earlier. The shower caddy is very nice. Good job!
You make me want to make things for a boat I don't even own yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmiller248 For This Useful Post:
post #4 of 35 Old 10-07-2015
Beyond The Pale

"Ladies" Harrumph!

Mom taught me the basics of sewing early on, and I made my own "Gandalf the Grey" Halloween costume when I was nine years old. This was in 1964, when nobody had a clue as to who "Gandalf the Grey" was...
Dad taught me how to use a Sailor's Palm a couple of years later.
(Yes, putting a needle right through your palm hurts, but pulling that needle out again...)

A few years back, I made a Companionway Canvas out of scrap Sunbrella pieces from the dumpster nearest the nearest Sailmaker, a chunk of Broom, and with a couple of Grommets to hold it up. This sure beats having to put the Boards back in every time I go Walkabout for a few minutes.

Recently, I tackled the Sheets for the Aft Cabin. After a couple of nights getting tangled in some old ones from Home, I figured out a better way.
I bought a couple of Black Cotton Sheets from Target; Queen Size, and on sale for ~$12. You can get Plastic or Brass Grommet kits at Ace Hardware. I chose Brass. (Note: With Synthetic Fabrics, if worried about unraveling or tearing, set the hole with a Soldering Iron. Also, a dab of Soldering Iron at the ends of a small Synthetic Canvas tear can keep it from getting any bigger. Butane powered Irons are cheap.)
I cut and edged the Sheets to the right amount of oversize for the two odd-shaped cushions, and I put grommets in roughly every 12 inches along the edges. To put the sheets on, put down a sheet, flip a cushion on the appropriate Sheet upside down, tug into place, and lace the grommets up. Removal for Washing, (...Washing? Ha!), is the reverse process.
Now, about Black Sheets...
White is simply out of the question on a Boat. Colored Sheets involve Color coordinating, and Shams, and whatnot nonsense. No, Basic Black is the way to go. Plus, if it does get an ugly stain, say Rust, a Permanent Marker takes care of it.

The Settee cushions were next. These were easy- no cutting, sewing, or edging needed. Fold a Black Sheet in half, and put grommets in at the ends, one edge, and along the fold. One Sheet is now two, upper and lower.
The Forepeak I ignored; if anybody wants to sleep up there, they can clean it out themselves, and use a sleeping bag.

The Boat came with good Canvas covers for the Tiller, Grabrails, and Winches. These are cheap and ubiquitous enough that I wouldn't bother making new ones. However, I put a planar HDTV Antenna and WiFi hotspot on the Coachroof right above the Nav Station, so I took an old Winch cover, cut and sewed it to fit, and laced it in place. This may not work out in the long term, even though a Grabrail is just in front of it. However, there is no location within the USB3 Specifications to better place them. (No, you cannot Daisy-Chain USB3 Cables.)

One problem- The Lifting Keel. The Mechanism sits right at the Aft end of the Cabin table, and well... there it is. Putting a Canvas cover over it just draws attention. Inevitably, somebody will lift it to see what is underneath.
Many years ago, Mom got into Baking Bread. One Experiment, an Oatmeal-Potato Soda Bread went particularly badly. It looked like a Suntanned Brain. A clever Guest looked at it, and disappeared into the Basement below.
Just before leaving, he gave it back to Mom. He had painted in a Design with Black Ink, and then he varnished the whole damn thing. When looked at with the right attitude, the Design was quite rude.
That loaf graced our Dining Room table for years, with only the occasional lick of varnish.
If one looks at Beneteaus from my Boat's era, there always seems to be a loaf of bread on the Table in the Advertisements. Hmmm...

Now, look again at the Photo above. The Bookshelves. One strong gust, the Boat heels, and whatever is in them gets launched. I'm using Bungee Cords for the time being. The obvious solution is to make up some Lee Cloths, but then nobody can see my ...peculiar... tastes in Literature. Many use netting, but that always tangles in whatever is coming purposefully out.
OK, how about this? Lee Cloths, but with the centers cut out and clear Vinyl stitched in? I've replaced UV browned rear windows in Brit Car convertible tops before. It's not difficult.

¬erindipity
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.
post #5 of 35 Old 10-07-2015 Thread Starter

How about things that you would make if you could? ...I'm desperate for ideas. .

post #6 of 35 Old 10-07-2015 Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Erindipity;3072978]"Ladies" Harrumph!

I like to hear the man's side of sewing. You must have learned to fix everything with grommets like my husband did in boy scouts.

I must say can't argue with what works.

post #7 of 35 Old 10-07-2015

I bought an old Kenmore sewing machine and watched videos and basically taught myself the basics of how to sew. My first project was to put two zippers in the sides of my mainsail cover to make room for the Dutchman flaking system. They certainly aren't perfect but I'm probably the only one who will notice. The canvas shop wanted $165.00 to put them in. Materials were about $20.00 and I paid 90.00 for the sewing machine. I'm planning on tackling a few projects over the winter. I like your line bags. Might be my next rainy day project. Cockpit cushion recover will be the big project this winter but I think the Admiral will actually help with that one!
Cheers!
OL1
post #8 of 35 Old 10-07-2015
Beyond The Pale

[quote=SVGimmeShelter;3073010]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erindipity View Post
"Ladies" Harrumph!

I like to hear the man's side of sewing. You must have learned to fix everything with grommets like my husband did in boy scouts.

I must say can't argue with what works.
I'm sorry, it's actually my fault for butting in. I just picked this topic up from the Recent Discussions sidebar.
I didn't notice the "herSailNet" designation.
I understand the reason for "herSailNet", and I agree with it.

That said...
I don't use Grommets for everything. I also use Tie-Wraps, Velcro, and Cyanoacrylate Glues. The most delicate Sewing job that I ever did was on what's called a LEED Gradient Mesh. (I used a Microscope, and Gold thread the thickness of a hair. Overhand knots.)
I can sew. I can also Cook. One friend who recently got married mentioned that he finally found the perfect partner- a Caterer. He was spending a kilobuck or so every month just in sit-down Restaurants alone.
Now he lives on leftovers.

OK, I'm out. (I hope that some had a giggle or two.)

¬erindipity
The Following User Says Thank You to Erindipity For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 35 Old 10-07-2015

A guy here. Things I've sewn: main and jib from Sailrite kits, jib bag from scratch, main sail cover again from scratch, winch covers, hatch cover, trailer winch cover, grab rail covers, hats. Yes, hats. I have sewn 3 so far, one for me and two for my grandkids. Cushion covers. Hats are pretty easy.

Nor'sea 27
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
post #10 of 35 Old 10-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVGimmeShelter View Post
How about things that you would make if you could? ...I'm desperate for ideas. .
How about a similar stern rail bag big enough to hold 2-4 1lb propane bottles? Cant have them stored down below ya know.
SVGimmeShelter likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.