Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2008

Seafire327 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony11 View Post
I've never seen a setup like that before -- port and aft wheels. Is the idea to have redundancy in case one fails?
It's more for being able to steer from the high side, depending on what tack you're on... And it's just cooler
Old 09-12-2008

kai34 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony11 View Post
I've never seen a setup like that before -- port and aft wheels. Is the idea to have redundancy in case one fails?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafire327 View Post
It's more for being able to steer from the high side, depending on what tack you're on... And it's just cooler
Also from looking really cool, it saves some space if its a larger boat that has large beam you might need a huge wheel that takes up alot of space.

Best wishes with the pregnancy and baby. Any crazy cravings yet? sorry i had to ask.

Fair winds and following seas.
-kai
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by kai34 View Post
Also from looking really cool, it saves some space if its a larger boat that has large beam you might need a huge wheel that takes up alot of space.

Exactly right...that is the main objective. wide beams call for seating on high tack in extreme heels, hence the 2 wheels instead of one that in my case would have to be 8 feet diameter!!
Old 09-12-2008

mygirls66 is on a distinguished road
Congrats to you! Sailing with an infant was easy for us. Many great suggestions already. Can't overemphasize nursing as it simplifies mealtimes which are not always predictable. I recall nursing below while throwing up in a ziploc bag during a rough passage!
We built a cradle which hung from the handrails in the cabin, it was always level and safe. This was in pre digital days so I don't have a picture, but it had peg board as a base, top rails made from hockey sticks (Canadian!), drilled holes in sticks to match holes in base, used line to lace top to bottom, fairly high sides prob 18", made mattress pad and bumper pad, rope sides allow the base to always be level. If you want to PM me I will try to scan an old picture for you. We actually had to add bungees fore and aft to limit some of the swing action. Baby slept and we could see her from the cockpit at all times. We rigged up a system to tie the car seat in the cockpit-there are lots of points to tie on both the infant and older child car seats. At anchor we attached a large golf umbrella to keep her in the shade. Hat, sunscreen, netting and lines to tie teddy to the seat are a must. Neither teddy nor baby ever ended up overboard and of course they always had their life jackets on...start on day 1 as soon as they exit the car. However watch infants as they can overheat with the lifejacket. We didn't put jacket on in the infant seat but immediately after unbuckling it was on. Once the child is able to sit up, you cannot use the cradle. I made a canvas barrier with a vinyl window which enclosed the v-berth (benefit of a 27ft boat at the time), it had fastners which attached it to the walls and came up about 3 ft. Babies could see you through the window and could stand holding the edge but high enough they couldn't flip or jump out. Put pillows along side walls. Basically it becomes a big playpen where they can play or sleep. I got this idea from a book called "Baby on Board". Don't have it anymore but maybe you can still find it somewhere. I used the dishpan for bathing as not alot of water is needed for an infant. Our second child was a winter baby so we skipped the cradle stage. Definitely put netting on your boat. In fact we didn't remove it till the youngest was 12 as it keeps everything on board-sails, cushions, towels etc. You have an advantage as you have teenagers to help amuse your new family addition! We loved sailing with our kids and they still love sailing with us at ages 16 & 18. Enjoy!