Boat shoes for women - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 3 Days Ago Thread Starter

Re: Boat shoes for women

I have never seen SWIMS before they look amazing, though when I checked the website there were no womens options. As far as men's feet being the same as women's here is an excerpt from the US National Library of Medicine.

Analysis showed that the heel-to-ball length (ball length) of the male participants' feet (181.5 mm) was significantly longer, on average, than that of the female participants' feet (165.0 mm). The width of the male paticipants' feet at the ball, instep, and heel regions, as well as the ball circumference, normalized by the ball length, were all significantly larger on average, than the female test participants' feet. However, toe region, instep, and medial and lateral malleoli heights were larger, on average, for the female participants than for the male. The results show that female feet differ in size and shape from male feet and are not algebraically scaled, smaller versions of male feet, as is often assumed.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 3 Days Ago
HANUMAN

Many of us have tried and really liked Vibram or similar 'glove' type shoes. They make them for women. They take some getting used to, but do work well.

Sperry makes tons of women shoes, many of them are pretty darn cute and functional. There, I said it, cute. Happy now? Gonna go smoke a cigar and drink some barrel proof whiskey from the bottle. I feel so dirty.

HANUMAN
'88 C&C 30 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #13 of 18 Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by arletteorourke View Post
I have never seen SWIMS before they look amazing, though when I checked the website there were no womens options. As far as men's feet being the same as women's here is an excerpt from the US National Library of Medicine.

Analysis showed that the heel-to-ball length (ball length) of the male participants' feet (181.5 mm) was significantly longer, on average, than that of the female participants' feet (165.0 mm). The width of the male paticipants' feet at the ball, instep, and heel regions, as well as the ball circumference, normalized by the ball length, were all significantly larger on average, than the female test participants' feet. However, toe region, instep, and medial and lateral malleoli heights were larger, on average, for the female participants than for the male. The results show that female feet differ in size and shape from male feet and are not algebraically scaled, smaller versions of male feet, as is often assumed.
they have many female shoes... look again and YES they are fabulous. Wify and me love them.
post #14 of 18 Old 3 Days Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by arletteorourke View Post
Not sure where the animosity is coming from was just trying to get some other sailor ladies opinions. Thank you for yours.
Animosity?

Might help if you don't characterize a whole group of quality shoes some of us wear as " old men's shoes"

Besides what's the issue with older men and their tastes?

My wife likes Keens' for working on the boat. Likes Teva, Sperry' , Sebago , Rockport , Salmon , Merril for nicer looking bootshoes .

Only requirement for all is that they have siping for good safe grip on a wet smooth service ( safety) , are close toed ( stubbed toes on cleats = broken toes and cut toes) , and are comfortable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #15 of 18 Old 3 Days Ago Thread Starter

Look I wear Sperry's and Keens, they are great but I have to wear men's models to get the right fit. I also understand that many people on this site may be brand loyal. Yes Sperry does make a cute women's shoe but they are narrow and after s couple months pretty slick on deck. I am just saying I think a better women's deck shoe is possible and I want to know if other WOMEN feel the same way. As far as knowing your market I have owned 6 sailboats, have sailed both coasts, the Caribbean and Mexico. I have raced for the last decade and also hold a 100 ton master/mate license. All of your responses are appreciated, every opinion helps me evaluate the validity of starting this new endeavor. Thanks
post #16 of 18 Old 3 Days Ago

I would have to say that you have not researched woman's sailing shoes very carefully. It turns out that there are a very wide range of high quality woman's sailing shoes out there. The range from pretty traditional Topsider style shoes, to 'espadrille' styles, all the way to technical racing boat shoes and high tech dinghy shoes. It turns out that there is actually a wider range of woman's sailing shoes than men's.

But no matter what your gender, the key threshold technical issues that any boat shoe used for sailing must meet are grip on a wet deck, good support balanced with the ability to conform to irregular surfaces, non-marking, compact enough to find footing on the more confined walking surfaces, washable, odor resistant, cool to wear in summer, does not wick water from the bottom of the sole up to the foot, quick draining and quick drying.

Style seems to vary between those intended for going ashore and walking around, vs. those targeting actual sailing. The going ashore and walking around tend to try to look stylish and more like casual shoes or else traditional 'mocs'.

These days those targeting actual sailing tend to look more like rock climbing shoes than traditional boat shoes. These are sometimes referred to as "technical". A good example of that might be something like the Sperry Sea Racer 2, or woman's boat shoes by Adidas or Body Glove. Visually they often have reflective details and brighter colors. One thing about 'technical boat shoes' is that they tend to use a soft rubber for the sole in order to get an adequate grip. That rubber seems to wear more quickly, and to remain soft for only roughly 3-5 years after which it suddenly becomes hard and slippery. That usually isn't a problem since these shoes get replaced on a more frequent basis due to hard use.

Velcro closers do not hold well when wet, tend to mildew, and they tend to catch on things. Normal tied laces, cinch laces and stretch laces seem to work equally well. Mesh uppers really help a lot. Protected toes are important to safety. Removable inner soles are crucial for quick drying.

From what I have seen, most women seem to buy boat shoes that are $80 or less, even if that means waiting for them to go on sale.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 3 Days Ago at 12:34 PM.
post #17 of 18 Old 3 Days Ago
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

I recommend these:

Stylish, grippy and the heel really lets you "dig in" while grinding that winch.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #18 of 18 Old 3 Days Ago

Ajax.... dumb... not even funny...

++++

You can find spendy shoes on sales... we never pay more than about $70.

I don't like the lacing thing of traditional boat shoes... and the non-skid doesn't work all that well after not very much use. I find the swims rubber grips... no leather issues because there is none... neat colors... breathable perf fabric... washable... my new go to choice for boat shoes. The web site is not showing the ladies styles... they make them however.

Last edited by SanderO; 3 Days Ago at 03:23 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.