Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze_97
For example, most never have a real health issue with a long airline flight, then you hear about the one person who was found dead in her seat on the plane after a long flight to Australia (true story). Why? Massive blood clots from just sitting. .
As far as I am aware there have been two similar experiences neither of which matches your scenario exactly. In both cases a young woman (under 30) died of heart failure brought on by DVT after but not during a long haul flight. One was from NZ to the US, the other from Aus to the UK. I can find no reference to anyone being found dead on arrival.

I do a fair amount of flying Aust - Spain mainly and have never had this problem but I make a habit of getting up every hour or so and walking around the cabin two or three times. I'm constantly amazed by those people who get on a long haul flight and barely move from their seats the entire flight.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 06-15-2007 at 01:05 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I can't sit still on a plane all that long... it drives me crazy... It is really important to get up and move around a bit at least every hour, especially on the longer flights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-15-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
They should widen the aisles on those airplanes so we can walk around.
One thing I did notice: is that when you have to go!! The drink cart is blocking your seat while the flight attendent has gone for some change and stops to chat with the pilot.... Wait!? Who's flying the Plane??
Old 06-15-2007

Chuteman is on a distinguished road
Yikes

Haukebo:
If You are not already checked into intensive care (surrounded by estate attorneys & 10 doctors) based on some of the responses , I offer the following via internet on Heat Edema:

"Heat edema (swelling) is usually seen in an unacclimated person who is not use to the hot weather. If you begin to sweat profusely, show extreme redness in the face, have low water and sodium retention, and begin to swell in the lower legs, feet, and hands get out of the heat and move to a cool, shady place. Drink cold water and elevate your legs. Your symptoms should resolve quickly once you cool down. To help prevent heat edema, get your body used to being in the heat slowly and steadily over time".

I have had days on some trips where it has affected me & it can be painful too. I agree that long sails on hot days with little movement don't help. Good luck beating it.......I'm working on eliminating it 100%.
Old 06-15-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Chuteman-

Whether it is heat-related edema or something else, it really needs to be addressed by a doctor. Better to be safe than sorry.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-16-2007

Flipflop is on a distinguished road
The TV Show Regis & Kellie: Kellie gets swelled feet each time she's on an airplane. She doesn't know why. Her shoes will not fit her.
Check with your doctor immediately.
Take care.
Old 06-16-2007

Economist is on a distinguished road
Post Партнерская программа MyLotto

Добрый день!

Приглашаем к сотрудничеству адвертов.

Немного истории:
TheLotter.com был создан с целью удовлетворить потребность в глобальной маркетинговой службе в сфере лотерейного бизнеса и сделать возможным свободное и неограниченное приобретение через Интернет лотерейных билетов для участия в любых официальных лотереях мира – возможно, единственного на сегодняшний день товара, который можно приобрести исключительно на локальном рынке продаж.
С целью достижения этой цели, начиная с 1995 года, вкладываются значительные усилия и ресурсы в создание всемирной торговой системы, уже доказавшей свои возможности в плане осуществления маркетинговой деятельности, охватывающей большинство ведущих мировых лотерей.
До 2006 года у TheLotter.com не было партнерской программы, а значит не было возможности вебмастерам всего мира сотрудничать с TheLotter.com. Теперь ситуация изменилась и мы рады представить нашу партнерскую программу MyLotto.

Партнерская программа MyLotto предлагает следующие условия:
- точная статистика для каждого партнера 24/7
- поддержка и помощь нашим партнерам 24/7
- ежемесячные выплаты различными способами (Для получения выплат на WebMoney Вам нужно выбрать любую платежную систему и в деталях платежа указать: WM Z*****)
- личный аккаунт менеджер
- большой выбор маркетинговых ресурсов
- дополнительные бонусы топовым адвертам
- реферальная система
- два способа оплаты за продажи:
1) $40 за каждую продажу, (10-20 продаж - 50$, более 20 - обсуждается индивидуально)
2) 10% от общей суммы потраченной игроком на протяжении всей жизни
- оплачиваются пользователи любой страны

Будем рады Вас видеть среди наших партнеров!

Вопросы и регистрация:
Old 06-20-2007

Chuteman is on a distinguished road
Are You guys Doctors or working for the AMA?
For Kelly's swollen feet on the plane like millions of usy who fly......loosen your shoes better yet take them off & walk around on long flights......but for those Dr. fans.............here's Mayo Clinic comments
Foot swelling during air travel: A concern? - MayoClinic.com

As for my swelling episodes that disappear as soon as things cool down from sahara levels...........thanks for your concern but I'll wait to visit a Dr. in a foreign country as our prescription crazed white coat drug pushers who masquerade as Drs would either tell me to stay out of the heat, keep my feet elevated....humm never sailed like that yet, or they would run lots of tests that would be unnecessary not to mention waste $$$$ and when baffled just reach in and take the RX slip out of the their pocket & start writing..........
Old 06-20-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Ms. Haukebo,

You received a lot of very learned advice in the other posts, but...

In my experience, the most common reason for swelling/puffy feet while sailing is overexposure to the sun. Because they are usually shrouded by shoes and socks, and when bared are normally perpendicular to the sun's rays, the tops of feet are highly sensitive to the sun and take a serious beating. Even very mild sun exposure can cause feet to swell. Many folks neglect to put sunscreen on the tops of their feet and ankles, which actually need an even higher SPF sunscreen than what you'd use on the rest of your body. And it needs to be reapplied more often.

If you're already doing this and still experiencing puffy feet, then you might consider some of the other possibilities suggested.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.