Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2007

haukebo is on a distinguished road
puffy feet

My husband and I have taken week long charter trips to the caribbean for years, and now we're moving on to full time cruising. Among my long list is how to deal with this problem:
For some reason whenever we're out sailing my feet seem to swell up to the point that my shoes barely fit! Anyone else have this problem? Is it the heat? Diet? I seem to get plenty of exercise, as well as time with my feet up when on board...
Appreciate any suggestions you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2007

timangiel is on a distinguished road
I recommend that you consult with your doctor, could be nothing but could be something. Why risk your health? You wouldn't want to have a serious problem while cruising when it may be difficult to get immediate attention. Nothing is more important than your health and its not worth it to fool around. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 06-07-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sounds like edema... you should find out what is causing it... it can be the sign of something worse, or just an annoyance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-07-2007

timangiel is on a distinguished road
you can google edema and find numerous pages of information simular to this one:

Edema

And yes it could just be caused by the heat, but no one can really diagnose you over the internet. Pay a visit to a doctor and let us know how you are doing.

fair winds.
Old 06-07-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I have the same problem and it is due to immobility under sail. I have the same problem on long car trips and airplane rides since not using my leg muscles allow fluid to accumulate.
Of course there MAY be an alternate explanation but if your doctor finds nothing wrong with you I would simply advise you to either accept it and do some leg related excercises whenever you sit for an hour or more...or get actively involved on deck.
Old 06-08-2007

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
In the recesses of my mind is the notion that in a perverse way it can be due to inadequate water intake. This would raise the salt concentration and thus fluid retention.
As it seemingly only occurs in a hot climate this may be the case.
Other symptoms such as shortage of breath would indicate a need for a medical check. However since they may not have a ready answer a simple test of this may help. Thirst is not a strongly felt thing, and in hot conditions the amount needed can be underestimated, so you need to drink enough water for your urine to be colourless. probably 3L or 10 beer sized glasses.
Old 06-08-2007
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Normal urine will always have some color as it contains waste products of metabolism, namely, urea, which contributes to the golden color. This color may not be readily visible unless viewed in volume, i.e., in a urinal, etc.
Old 06-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One other thing that can help, but probably not be very comfortable in warm weather is pressure stockings. They can help stave off edema, a common post-surgery problem, as I learned when during my wife's battle with cancer.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-08-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Get your doctor to check your blood sugar levels ... the swelling can be a sign of Type II diabetes ... particularly if it is accompanied by numbness
Old 06-08-2007
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
If all the heavy stuff comes back okay, ask for a serum albumin level (blood test). It is often a situation that causes edema, particularly in situations of poor or insufficient nutrition. SailingDog mentioned cancer, and this is a prime example of how low albumin levels can cause edema. Albumin is a complex protein, resource intensive, and when a body is stressed, particularly when nutrition is restricted for whatever reason, albumin levels are the first to fall. Albumin is the principle component in fluid balance in the body. When serum albumin levels drop, the fluid will move out of the circulatory system and into the tissues (third-spacing). It is very difficult to reverse this until albumin levels return to near normal. This could easily turn into a book. Suffice it to say it can be one, or any combination of issues (some minor, others serious) that lead to edema in the extremeties. Point being, don't take "You're just getting older," as a final answer, as is often the case when nothing obvious for a diagnosis jumps out. It could easily be something relatively minor now that could be headed off before it becomes a bigger issue. Often times, you get a lecture about cutting back on sodium and diuretics are prescribed, but while this addresses the symptom, the cause should still be sought. Poor kidney output. Why? Poor blood flow from a weak heart? Diabetes? (the #1 cause of kidney failure). High Blood pressure? (the #2 cause of kidney failure). High sodium? Okay, cut back. Low albumin? Why? Inadequate nutrition? Disease process? It's all tied together.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.