Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
In that my wife despises sailing, it WOULD be a breath of fresh air...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2007

InlandGirl is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the encouragement and advice! It's good to know that I am not starting out with impossible ambitions, and that when I do start shopping around, ease of rigging is going to be key. I'll be vacationing soon with people who have a little trailersailer, and I will definitely pay close attention to the process of getting it in and out of the water.

I'll have to look seriously at the Compac. It looks a little, um, chunky (How's that for a technical term?) at least compared with the boats that show up in my dreams -- but it sounds like they had someone like me in mind when they designed it. As for the Hobie Cat, I agree it has advantages, but I think I'm more of a monohull person at the moment - I don't really like sitting on a trampoline, and alas, I don't have any beach to beach it on...and speed is not really an issue, at least not yet!

USCGRET - tnx for the offer: I'll know who to call when I'm at the ramp, having trouble stepping the mast, with a dozen large and surly powerboaters in line behind me.
Old 07-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
InlandGirl-

I know a quite a few owners of the Compac series of boats that thought they were chunky to begin with... however, they do have other qualities that make up for their somewhat less than perfect lines... Hobie cats, while fun boats, aren't really suitable to what you want to do IMHO, and really aren't suitable to GTB summer cruises.

BTW, I too spent a good part of my time when I was younger at Community Boating, on their Cape Cod Mercury fleet. Are you originally from the Bay State or did you learn at CBI while attending school here?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-12-2007

InlandGirl is on a distinguished road
Good guess! Yes, I went to school out there. I was pretty poor: it's an expensive place to live, especially on a student budget. The one summer I had a little left over after paying rent I blew it on a CBI membership: best money I ever spent. The Mercuries are so beginner-friendly: I didn't realize this until I sailed some other small boats later on. And the people I learned from were just great -- there was an MIT prof (of astronomy, maybe? I can't remember) who was there all the time, and he was one of the best teachers I've ever met. CBI is a real treasure.

Yeah, that's a little gushy, but it's true. :-)

Last edited by InlandGirl; 07-12-2007 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One of my favorite memories from sailing at CBI is the time that my twin and I got a Mercury stuck under the Longfellow Bridge. Not recommended.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-12-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Inland Girl...I think you need a real man to help you with that...
Old 07-12-2007
Telstar 28

Cam, is that your high school senior portrait...
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
Inland Girl...I think you need a real man to help you with that...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-12-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
I bet there are some trailer sailers out there with unstayed masts, that would be real easy to set up for launch...
Old 07-12-2007
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCGRET1990
I bet there are some trailer sailers out there with unstayed masts, that would be real easy to set up for launch...
A lot of the cat boats would qualify.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-13-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
My old but quick Venture 21 qualifies. Plenty of nice older Ventures and Macs out there that'll hold their own with newer trailer-sailors. If ya want the abilty to cruise more than just daysail, the Mac 26D or 26S will work.