Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
The boat, i kinda like my 21' Cal, is the main focus. But once you've settled on that, I'd look the trailer over as well.

What vehicle are you going to tow with? If it is 2wd you might want or need an extension on the trailer hitch for launching at some less than ideal ramps.

I'd also consider tearing down your axle hubs in the driveway. Learning to do this is fairly easy and it is the most likely item to fail on a longer trip. It'd be a real bummer to have a great excursion scotched by a wheel bearing. Carrying a spare hub assembly is not at all a bad idea. It's unlikely you'll have a problem and repair parts will be readily available. Better to carry them with you.

Good luck is your quest.
Old 07-14-2007

wpbgent is on a distinguished road
I am starting (re-starting) with a 13' Zuma. Un-stayed mast (no wires), sail zips on, hull is only 130 pounds, self bailing cockpit, seems to be the perfect starter boat but is also very fast / sporty when the wind picks up 15+ kts..

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-16-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
While you are looking for your boat, investigate the area that you are sailing in. There may be some Sailing Clubs (as opposed to yacht clubs), that are specifically oriented to "drysailing". This is to say that they cater to people who do not leave their boats in the water all the time, but launch them and haul them out every time they sail.

If you can find one of these clubs, then you will likely find that you can keep the boat there on its trailer with the rig up so that you do not have to raise and lower the mast each time you use it.

If there are no sailing clubs, then phone the yacht clubs and ask about their drysail facilities. Although it would cost more to join one of the clubs than it would to store the boat at home, the information, support and camaraderie you'll find will more than compensate for the added expense.
Old 09-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One thing sailormann forgot to point out is how much faster and easier launching your boat is if you keep it a one of these facilities. Some will even launch your boat for you, if you call a day ahead of time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-16-2007

InlandGirl is on a distinguished road
A club is definitely the way to go -- the condo association wouldn't appreciate a boat in the parking lot. I don't think the clubs around here will put my boat in the water for me : they're all-volunteer, no paid staff, so unless there are people who just hang around waiting to haul other people's boats, it probably won't happen, not even if I call ahead and ask nicely.

The upside is that membership costs are pretty low, basically just to cover the expenses of a few slips and a small building. I could probably even get a mooring, and not worry about hauling for spring and fall.

I need the trailer for mid-May through mid-August though, when I go home. (Home is in Michigan...I just work here in south-central nowheresville.)

Oh. I just remembered that it's only September, and it's going to be eight long months without pine trees or proper lakes .. eight long months of torture-by-redneck-accent and random people calling me "hon".... aaarggh.... This is why I need a boat ASAP: in the middle of the fake lake (aka flood control pool) at least I won't be able to hear the locals talking.

Ahem. My apologies to any proud south-central nowheresvillians. I'm homesick...cut me some slack.

Thanks for the hint about the trailer extension -- I will definitely do that.

Last edited by InlandGirl; 09-16-2007 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL..... Just watch out for the rednecks in their bass boats.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-17-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Redneck accent? I resemble that remark. We do sound a little different, but that's because in the South, we don't speak the king's English; we speak God's English.
Old 09-17-2007
Galley Goddess

sailhagg is on a distinguished road
Can I add my two cents?

My first sailboat was a MacGregor 26 with a small outboard engine. I had a mast raising system that made getting it up much easier. I could rig the boat in 30-40 minutes. The lakes I went to had pretty open areas where I could rig in the parking lot and then back the all ready to go sailboat down the ramp.

Once in the water I'd hold a bow and stern line and walk the boat off the trailer (reverse for back on the trailer) and tie off at the dock for a couple minutes while parking my SUV. Without the water ballast it was a pretty light weight boat. I didn't have to pull forward too far to start the ballast draining so my SUV didn't work real hard either.

I liked this boat quite a bit. The cabin while not huge was definately sufficent for week-ends. She was a bit tender and I reefed before most others. All in all a fun boat that I only had to spend $5K for!
Old 09-19-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
club sailing is a good route. I sailed at a club for 3 years before taking the plunge and getting my own boat. since I had the opportunity to take out different boats of differing sizes, etc I had a much better idea what I liked when it came time to buy. also, not having to do boat maintence or any of the other boat owner things was really nice. You just show up and sail. A lot of the clubs offer lessons too, and some of them have programs that help you get/find people to sail with too.

Old 09-19-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
The Hunter line of smaller boats are all easy to setup. Precision is another model that makes some nice smaller boats as well, and I would definitely second the Com-Pacs and the older Macgregors.

Currently at 38 20 10 N 76 27 42 W , Solomons, MD

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog