Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by svbillabong View Post
When we started our cruise I was pretty skimpy in what I took, now (five years later and half way around), I have just about everything - more stuff than I used to have in my kitchen back home. You can ALWAYS find the space One thing that helps for space is if there a place that you can build a spice-rack. Pick some decent (and nice looking) clear spice jars and build a spice rack to fit them. The spices look good and are easily accessed, and free up a cupboard. Also, if you sink is next to a bulkhead consider mounting a dish rack ... it will drain into the sink and then you won't have to hand dry your dishes or have them on the counter (granted you can't use the rack in rough seas, but who does dishes when it's rough out anyway??)

My vote is FOR the pressure cooker. I got one that has two size pots (one lid). The pots are great for general usage, and the large pot doubles for lobsters, pasta, and such and for a deep pot when at sea and I don't want to worry about stuff spilling. Other pots/pans can usually fit inside the pressure cooker pot(s) and you can get a dual pressure set that nests with itself - so I don't think you are looking at a lot of room. I then also have the strainer basket that fits in one of the pots for pasta (therefore no pouring boiling liquid out at sea as another post pointed out).

The Evergreen bags DO indeed work (I actually did a test with carrots). I don't think the Glad green bags work as well as the Evergreen (again another real test). They say to use the Evergreen bags in the refrig, but I don't refrigerator most of my veggies.

Carry a knife sharpener ... no matter how good your knives are, they will go dull.

For bakeware the silicon stuff is GREAT. As pointed out, no rust, no breaking, easy to wash.

Rubbermaid (and others I'm sure) now make collapsible tupperware - they collapse down with the lid on into very slim pieces ... I departed before these were out and haven't found them abroad, but keep looking as my tupperware storage bin it full and a mess.

I also recommend Bar Keeper's Friend ... it's great for getting rust out.
I've got some other tips here and more details on the above tips (including a photograph of the dish rack).
Good post.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2008
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
I have been following Chris and KT's web blog for sometime. Great website for those that are thinking about cruising full time. Sorry to hear they are going to be swallowing the hook soon. Good luck with your plans. I always love to hear what works and don't. Cruiser tested is the by far the best rating a product can have not matter type of sailing you do. SSCA equipment survey is by far the best what works on any boat.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 07-14-2008
Vagabond in Training

Livia is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasidesis View Post
I've been looking for a handheld coffee grinder - any advise?
It's pricey but we love our Zassenhaus Turkish Coffee Mill. Zassenhaus mills are supposed to last forever.

//
//
Old 10-23-2008

pkstinn is on a distinguished road
I removed pie three burner alcohol stove and oven and use a simgle burner butane stove. Stupid move on my part
Old 10-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL...ain't hindsight wonderful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkstinn View Post
I removed pie three burner alcohol stove and oven and use a simgle burner butane stove. Stupid move on my part

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-31-2008

SVlagniappe is on a distinguished road
I have 2 SKK Titanium Skillets that I would never be without. The handles are removable, so I can nest an 8" and 12" and store in the oven. The titanium works far better than any non-stick I've seen before. Browns meat like a cast iron skillet. The non-stick is great and you don't have to use plastic utensils.

The only problem is they're pricey, and hard to find. My daughter bought them for us in the UK. Here's an online spot - not sure if they ship outside of the UK.

SKK Pans - SKK Frying PanGerman made non -stick pans. - Skk Titanium Frying Pan
Beneteau 423 #310
Old 11-01-2008

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
In the past, I could never get my knives as sharp as I would like, well until I found this...MUST HAVE! If I (eye/hand coordinately challenged) can sharpen a knife to a SHAVING edge, anyone can with the Lansky...no connection, just a great sharping system.

Lansky sharpeners

Last edited by fullkeel7; 11-01-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-02-2008

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
fullkeel7 - I'm with you on the Lansky system. I have the full diamond one on the boat and 2 other sets elsewhere. I keep a list in the Lansky box detailing each blade and angles I used, plus a black dry-wipe whiteboard marker. Even mediocre kitchen blades can be sharpened with the Lansky system (although they might not hold an edge too long). None of my knives will ever see the insides of a cheap kitchen sharpener.

Old 11-02-2008

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
I have never used the Lansky system, but for those who don't have it - it isn't hard to sharpen a knife with stones and a strop either. Basically just get at least two grades of stone, one course, one fine, and then use them to put on a good edge, then strop it on occasion to keep it razor sharp. It ain't hard, and you'll have to have all the same equipment and skills to sharpen chisels and other tools anyway.

Please support my
Old 11-02-2008

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
I have never used the Lansky system, but for those who don't have it - it isn't hard to sharpen a knife with stones and a strop either. Basically just get at least two grades of stone, one course, one fine, and then use them to put on a good edge, then strop it on occasion to keep it razor sharp. It ain't hard, and you'll have to have all the same equipment and skills to sharpen chisels and other tools anyway.
Yeah, yeah. I've always been jealous of those that have that skill! My Dad was one that could sharpen a big hunting knife with a wet stone and strop....then SHAVE with it. Me....I have trouble with the sharping angle with any consistancy, so I could never get it right. I bought the Lansky kit with four diamond stones, holder and four rods. The holder has four slots on each side that varies from 17 to 30 degrees and completely eliminates the need to have any ability to get the knife to stone angles right with every stroke.

I always use the 30 deg. slot...with every knife...the edge seems to last longer. The first time you sharpen really dull knives, it takes a little longer to get a good edge, but after the initial sharpening, all it takes is a few strokes with the two fine stones to bring 'em back to 'shaving' sharpness.

Sorry if this sounds like a commercial, but this thing really works...no affiliation. There is one big drawback though, be prepared to do alot of sharping for friends and neighbors....you'll be a rock star! Bob

BTW, I have had the regular stones as well. They work great also...'til I wore 'em out.