Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2008

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Knife sharpening discussions tend to go along the sames lines as Mono vs. Multi or political threads. People get more emotional about whether to use oil, water or nothing than whether or not one or two hulls are better

I can do a good job with strops & stones but the Lansky system does a perfect job every time with little effort. I can (and do) sit on my deck, listen to good tunes, drink a fine drop or two and sharpen knives while the sun drops to the horizon; I tend to go into an Alpha state and it relaxes me. Generally different blade angles serve different purposes, my boat folders get a 30 deg each side and I use a round stone to do the serrations, my "work" folders get a minimum cut since if I use them I'll sharpen them right away. Kitchen knives get angles depending on their purpose and I have a filleting knife that gets a razor edge on only one side (halves the angle, increases sharpness but decreases ability to hold the edge).

I've never owned ceramic knives, but perhaps they would be worthwhile on a boat as their blades stay sharp a long time and they don't rust.

There is nothing more fun in the kitchen than to prepare foods with a set of sharp knives; apart from eating a tasty meal, of course.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2008

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
rust.

There is nothing more fun in the kitchen than to prepare foods with a set of sharp knives.
Exactly! Safer too!
Old 11-02-2008

TanyaA is on a distinguished road
Just curious if anyone would share what type of percolator you use? I like really strong coffee, so that feature would be important. And we have a propane stove, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2008

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaA View Post
Just curious if anyone would share what type of percolator you use? I like really strong coffee, so that feature would be important. And we have a propane stove, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
Since on one else is replying....may I suggest a Farberware stainless Classic Yosemite. We use the electric version at home. This one is good for stove top propane, has a permanent filter basket(no filters needed), cool touch handle and you can perk 'til the coffee is strong enough to curl your toenails!

Coffee Percolators - Stainless Steel, Stovetop and Glass Perkers
Old 01-04-2009

Zoo is on a distinguished road
I bought teak shelves made for spices, had hubby install them in the galley. I have to have spices to cook.
Spare freezer, 12 volt & 110, we put it under the steps.
Pressure cooker, saves time and propane. Easy to use!! Specially for roasts and beans.
large pot, medium and small.
2 cake pans ( can use for pies too
2 frying pans, 1 large and 1 medium, non stick.
1 coffee pot maker, also use it for making tea. We drink one cup of coffee a day.
1 black & decker mini chopper, $7.88
1 plastic collander
1 thermos
pot holders
plastic storage containers.
knife sharpener
can opener
fork, spoon, spatulas, etc Hubby made me a wood holder, where they slip in
lot's of knives, steak knives (6), 6 plates, 4 bowls for cereal or soup, 6 glasses (non breakable)
4 wine glasses non breakable
1 brownie pan
1 pan deeper than brownie
2 meatloaf pans ( meatloaf and making bread)
silverware for 6 persons
potatoe peeler
small board
1 very large board for cutting up fish
1 small hatchet for cutting fish
fish filet knives
want toast use the frying pan.
hand mixer old fashion one not electric
2 whiskers, large and 1 small for sauces
1 large tray for parties
1 large bowl for salad with salad fork and spoon or whatever you use, ( We picked up one made out of wood in an island
something to put on table for hot dish I made my own out of palms.
toothpicks
decorative veggie and fruit holder, i made my own as well, palms of course
1 muffin pan
I could go on and on....we moved into boat for 6 weeks before leaving, so as to see what else we needed.
After a year of cruising I got rid of a lot of stuff. and added the small food chopper.
Good luck,

Last edited by Zoo; 01-05-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-06-2009
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Zoo - I suspect that your list is almost universal for cruisers - but isn't it funny, how the land-based would find it so austere?

When you've lived aboard for a while, you learn to value a great set of knives so much more than a fancy food processer.
Old 01-08-2009
Orange is the new black.

kjango is on a distinguished road
I'm going to say knife instead of knives , but I don't even have plates aboard either . I eat out of the pot or skillet I cook in . But never ever venture out on the water without a turkey baster . If you ever get your engine airbound that turkey baster will very quickly become your new best friend . I guess if you were so inclined you could also baste a turkey with it .
Old 01-23-2009

leslieowen is on a distinguished road
Galley goodies

Wow, I have been enjoying reading the input here on the items all need in their galley. I too also have the favorite pots/pans and flexible baking items. A couple of items that I reach for (beside a well stocked spice shelf) are clothes pins for closing any and all bags (from lettuce, cookies, bread, cold cuts and cheese) and securing dish towels on my stainless steel safety rail at the galley or even out on a life line for a wet one. Another thing I find wonderful in the galley is that thin foam, nonskid shelf liner stuff. I will cut it to make place mats so items do not slide during a meal. They are inexpensive and you can cut out what shape you want to line between cookware to help silence noisy dishes or cookware. This material also protects our finish on tables or nav station from something that might be hot or damp. When it looks tired, it is so inexpensive you will not regret giving it the heave ho and putting in new liner. Also a chance for a change in a color highlight.

Can't wait to get the shrink wrap off the boat!!

Leslie
S/V "Tango"
Kent Island, MD
Old 01-23-2009
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by leslieowen View Post
Wow, I have been enjoying reading the input here on the items all need in their galley. I too also have the favorite pots/pans and flexible baking items. A couple of items that I reach for (beside a well stocked spice shelf) are clothes pins for closing any and all bags (from lettuce, cookies, bread, cold cuts and cheese) and securing dish towels on my stainless steel safety rail at the galley or even out on a life line for a wet one. Another thing I find wonderful in the galley is that thin foam, nonskid shelf liner stuff. I will cut it to make place mats so items do not slide during a meal. They are inexpensive and you can cut out what shape you want to line between cookware to help silence noisy dishes or cookware. This material also protects our finish on tables or nav station from something that might be hot or damp. When it looks tired, it is so inexpensive you will not regret giving it the heave ho and putting in new liner. Also a chance for a change in a color highlight.

Can't wait to get the shrink wrap off the boat!!

Leslie
S/V "Tango"
Kent Island, MD
Great suggestions! But no matter how carefully we fold snack bags, clothespins don't seem to be enough to keep chips, pretzels,crackers from getting soggy. What's your secret? We transfer leftovers to those click-lidded type plastic boxes.

It's soo warm today, seems like spring's just around the corner. But I looked around the corner, and it's going to snow early next week. Sigh.
Old 01-24-2009

ADMTROX is on a distinguished road
I have really enjoyed reading this thread also. I am still determining the galley items that are must haves. I am living on the boat in the summer only and in my home in the winter. This is allowing me to add and remove items from the galley as I decide.

I agree that a full complement of cloths pins and chip clips are a necessity. Here in Michigan they suffice to keep chips fresh at least as long as they last (not long).

One kitchen gadget that I will not do without is my rasp type grater...I just love it for zesting, grating nutmeg and garlic.

I have a set of collapsible measuring cups, I purchased them from Williams Sonoma, they are a great space saver.

I took the wooden handles off my rolling pin so that it would fit in the space available and I do not miss them at all.

I love my kitchen gadgets and it is interesting how many of them are superfluous. Here is my list so far.

SS Nesting cookware
Non stick omelet pan
Good chef’s knife
Good serrated bread knife
Good paring knife
Set of serrated steak knives
Kitchen shears
Restaurant style locking tongs
Rasp style grater
Sea salt grinder
Spices
“Real” dishware