Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009

shawnkillam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchoonerMISTRESS View Post
About 6 months ago, I purchased a rather new product for bake ware. It's blue, is flexible, and can stand the heat of the oven. What is nice about this stuff is it does not rust, its easy to clean, and because it can be folded or stuffed into a small space, I was able to get rid of my bake, cake, and muffin pans. The only down side to this product seems to be because it is so flexible, I have kept my metal cookie sheet and use it when I pull said cookware out of the oven to keep it sturdy.
Kathleen
aboard
Schooner MISTRESS
Schooner Mistress
what is the name of these flexible blue pan thingies and where did you get them?

sk
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2009

shawnkillam is on a distinguished road
Gentle people,
I feel I can speek with a fair bit of authority here as we usually spend more on wine than we do on our mortgage, but... any container that you cannot smell when empty will work when full of wine. What ya want is something large enough to get your entire nose into. These dainty little flute type things are a travisty against all things comming from the grape. A stainless steel bucket would work just fine, plastic less so because as anyone knows who has stuck there head in a plastic bucket - you can smell it. Galvanized is bad because the acid in the wine will react with the zinc but a soup bowl will work. However in the final analysis drinking out of the bottle is better than not drinking at all. For the trivia buffs out there Jacque Cousteau had his boat - the Calipso - outfitted with a wine tank that was almost as large as their water tank
Just as a by the by try and store your wine in contact with the hull below the water line. It will help keep the wine at a constant temperature which will help it tolerate the jostling that is inevitable on the ocean.
and remember the bible had it right "wine is as good as life to the man"

sk
jeffgauvin likes this.
Old 03-17-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
sk-
"flexible blue pan thingies" Silicone bakeware. Very much the same material as silicone sealant, available in red, blue, black, white, gray, from any cooking supply and some of the home shopping channels as well. Since it is in insulator, it won't cook the same way as a heavy glass or metal pan. But it won't dent or rust or shatter, either. In theory it is inert and nothing oozes out from it to contaminate your food. In practice...I might trust it as long as it wasn't made in China.