Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Ruggster...if you have the GG convection "perfection-aire" model...it draws 1200 watts....or 10amps of AC power at normal 120V household current.
If you have an onboard large inverter, you can use this item but you will be constrained in that use by the size of your battery bank.
The oven will use around 125 amp/hours for each hour of run time. So...you need a battery capacity of 250AH's simply to run the oven ALONE for an hour without damaging your batteries. Obviously you need additional battery capacity for other things like refrigeration, so plan your batery bank size accordingly.
(Note...for the techhies here...I have assumed a 25% loss of AH's in the inverter conversion to AC process...so no notes about my math please! ) (G)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Another vote for the pressure cooker, I have 4 in various sizes, love them.
Old 07-31-2007
Re-Member

welshwind is on a distinguished road
My wife loves to cook and she often is cooking for 8-10 on our boat (As a side note, when our 'land' neighbor stepped on our boat for the first time and went below, she laughed saying she would have known this was our boat because my wife had more herbs and spices on the boat than the neighbor has in her kitchen back home). She loves her nested cookware. A year after she bought it, she ended up buying a pressure cooker from the same vendor. That was a waste of money. It simply does not fit her style of cooking and the way she wants to do things.

"To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor.”
- Oliver Wendel Holmes
Old 07-31-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Welshwind-

Who makes your nesting cookware? Is it aluminum or stainless steel??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-01-2007
Operating life w/o a net

SchoonerMISTRESS is on a distinguished road
About 6 months before we moved onto the boat, I purchased the cookware I thought I would want to have on board and packed up all my cast iron. I then used the new cookware to get used to it and did fairly well, however, I was never happy with the SS fry pan. After one year of living aboard, I finally gave up and pulled the cast iron pan out of storage and have been using it for the past two weeks. I gave my stainless one away yesterday. All my pots are good stainless and I like them just fine.
About 6 months ago, I purchased a rather new product for bake ware. It's blue, is flexible, and can stand the heat of the oven. What is nice about this stuff is it does not rust, its easy to clean, and because it can be folded or stuffed into a small space, I was able to get rid of my bake, cake, and muffin pans. The only down side to this product seems to be because it is so flexible, I have kept my metal cookie sheet and use it when I pull said cookware out of the oven to keep it sturdy.
My husband insisted on the microwave and like most of us who have one aboard, I use it as a glorified bread box.
While you are still home, figure out what you have space for on the boat and do not use anything else for a while. See how that works for you and then you can modify as necessary.
Top draw for silverware for six persons, second draw for all my cooking utensils, and the bottle opener attached to the cabinet. My 4 wine glasses are attached easily and securely to a wood strip with rubber holders the stems slide into. This has been mounted on the cabin house side in the galley and is nice for keeping them safe and out of the way.
One other note about pots. I have several on board but one in particular is very tall. This one is great for using less water because of the depth of it, however, not so large in diameter. Great for pasta, lobster, or steaming. You may want to also try to have pots with the same size lids so you do not have to carry so many. One of my lids fits three pots/pan. One lid fits one pot and one small fry pan. Just another way to save some space.
On my wish list is a pressure cooker. I want to get a good one and they are not cheap but from everything I have heard from all our cruising friends, you will not be disappointed.
Kathleen
aboard
Schooner MISTRESS

Last edited by SchoonerMISTRESS; 08-01-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-01-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Great post Kathleen
Old 08-01-2007
Operating life w/o a net

SchoonerMISTRESS is on a distinguished road
wind_magic,
Thank you so much. The check is in the mail.
Kathleen
aboard
Schooner MISTRESS
Old 08-01-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
zip-loc or similar sealable plastic bags in 2 1/2 gal to 1 quart size. Great for everything from clothes to not often used items (for instance, I have a fanny pack I use to carry my pipes in, if not in a bag, the zippers rust up). Moisture is a killer on a boat, so anything you can do to keep it away from things is a plus. I also put a dryer sheet in drawers and cabinets to absorb moisture.

Back in the water at Deaton's Yacht Service, Oriental, NC

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 08-01-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eryka View Post
Idiens: I'm not sure I understand - it shouldn't take more heat than you would otherwise need to boil water. Is it possible that the gasket is not seated well, or is too old, and hence letting steam escape before pressure builds up?
The pressure cooker is new and a good one, no problem with its operation on a home stove. But butane is not the most energetic of sources and yes it does take more energy to raise water under pressure to boiling point. I think it is the higher temperature that cooks faster, not the pressure on the food. But if it takes so long to raise the temperature, and wash up afterwards, other cooking methods become attractive. However, I am no expert, and I guess if I could cook things simultaneously using all the internal trays it has, there might be a time benefit. Maybe I just like stirring and poking my food about and watching its progress while cooking too.
Old 08-01-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiens View Post
The pressure cooker is new and a good one, no problem with its operation on a home stove. But butane is not the most energetic of sources and yes it does take more energy to raise water under pressure to boiling point. I think it is the higher temperature that cooks faster, not the pressure on the food. But if it takes so long to raise the temperature, and wash up afterwards, other cooking methods become attractive. However, I am no expert, and I guess if I could cook things simultaneously using all the internal trays it has, there might be a time benefit. Maybe I just like stirring and poking my food about and watching its progress while cooking too.
That is odd to hear, Idiens. My experience is pretty much the opposite. I use my pressure cooker to cook faster instead of slower. Daily cooking for me usually includes some rice, for example. I put that into a white dish and put that inside of the pressure cooker with some water, and then I just turn it on and it comes up to full blast in a few minutes, and I immediately turn it off and let it sit a minute, then take the pressure off. Perfect rice. I do that with harder to cook things too such as split peas, beans, etc, just bring them up to temperature and depending on what it is I turn off the heat and let it sit there under pressure for a few minutes, 10 minutes, never more than that, then let the pressure off and eat it. My daily use pressure cooker is very small, the smallest I have ever seen anywhere.

By the way, it is true that water doesn't boil the same way, exactly. For example, under high pressure after I have cooked something if I take away the heat I can hear that it stops boiling. And it can sit there for 5 minutes, or however long under pressure. But then when I start letting pressure off, even though it has cooled down some, at a certain pressure the water starts to boil again even without adding any heat at all. Something about letting the pressure off lets the water boil again, no doubt because of some reason I should have learned in physics class, some kind of a reason that was probably called "thermo" something lol.

Last edited by wind_magic; 08-01-2007 at 05:01 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.