Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007
Peace, Courtney

DJEVANS has a spectacular aura about DJEVANS has a spectacular aura about DJEVANS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by eryka View Post
maybe its the nyquil hangover <*grin*>
It's really sweet of you to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I have it on good authority that it's that they're not giving him enough Thorazine at the asylum...

-Mignon McLaughlin
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Fine, fine... kick a guy when he's down!

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-02-2007
Peace, Courtney

DJEVANS has a spectacular aura about DJEVANS has a spectacular aura about DJEVANS has a spectacular aura about
CD, sweetie, whatever gave you the idea that I was kicking you? I have a great deal of empathy for the mentally ill (don't worry, I won't call you nutbucket, I heard y'all don't like that). I would never kick someone in your position. Now make sure you take your meds like a good little boy, 'kay, pumpkin?

-Mignon McLaughlin
Old 10-02-2007
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
First thing I want to to say is Thank you to the moderators. It is long over due. While tongue and cheek and locker room talk has it's place in some settings, I felt in Hersailnet it didn't. They guys have made comments in the past that women don't post here often and I have always contend that they won't due to locker room talk that sometimes happens here. Sailnet offers a great venue to great discussion's on matters related to sailing. It has a worldwide audience therefore, with it a certain amount of responsibility occurs. I put out the gauntlet to the moderators that they have a choice on the quality of where they want this great website to be and go too. No other public forum on the internet allows the locker room talk that this site offers with maybe the exception of SA (sailing anarchy). I don't have a problem really myself in this talk but I am thinking of the others that don't or rarely post here of either gender because they are afraid of getting slander for all to see. I don't think most people care for that. If someone wants to ask a question or raise an issue one shouldn't be afraid of the responses they might get.
Old 10-02-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I find myself thinking along the same lines as Melrna on this. Anything not in the Off Topic forum should follow some sort of decorum in the responses. This though, I think is something that it is up to each member to do on their own. Keeping the sarcasm and name calling out of the Sailing forums would only enhance the site in my opinion. One can disagree with an opinion, without calling the giver of it ________ (take your pick of the appropriate word). There are no stupid questions, and what may seem simple and self evident to one, may not to another.

I challenge all the regular posters to reply with a sense of class, fairness, and civility, while remembering, at one point you were just learning as well.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 10-02-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Eryka...thanks...the blue boat remains lonely but we have some folks coming to see it. They are supposed to wash her down and clean the exterior a bit for me in the next few days...pls. let me know if she is not looking good by boat show time!! Thanks.

Mel...happy to make it nicer here but we don't plan to change much outside of this subforum. I see the rest of the site as somewhere between the Anarchy of SA and the dullness of a couple of the other forums and without the raunchiness of Lat& Atts ... so some will look elsewhere and others will find a happy home here. Cheers!! (g)

PB...I will disagree. While we allow a bit more leeway in the of topic threads...there is plenty of room for strong opinions in the sailing threads. Some ideas are dangerous or idiotic and deserve ridicule. I think sarcasm, ridicule and well reasoned responses all have a place here. I also think that once a legitimate question has been answered fully, part of the unique appeal of this site is how we let the humor take over. It is against the rules here to attack people...it is not against the rules to attack ideas or plans or stupid comments. (I am thinking of CCP, Cjoe, Knothead and others in this context.) There are plenty of places to go for factual boring discussions of what anchor to buy...I have yet to find another sailnet.
Old 10-02-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I understand what you're saying cam, I just feel that intial responses should be more reasoned, than confrontational. At times, there seems to be a sense of meaness (for lack of a better word) that seems to come too easily. I don't mind humor and good natured ribbing, and think it does add to things. I just don't find the mean-spriited kind very enjoyable to read, or associate with.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 10-02-2007
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
Edited by Cam...This IS herSailnet!!
Old 10-04-2007
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Eryka...thanks...the blue boat remains lonely but we have some folks coming to see it. They are supposed to wash her down and clean the exterior a bit for me in the next few days...pls. let me know if she is not looking good by boat show time!! Thanks.

Mel...happy to make it nicer here but we don't plan to change much outside of this subforum. I see the rest of the site as somewhere between the Anarchy of SA and the dullness of a couple of the other forums and without the raunchiness of Lat& Atts ... so some will look elsewhere and others will find a happy home here. Cheers!! (g)

PB...I will disagree. While we allow a bit more leeway in the of topic threads...there is plenty of room for strong opinions in the sailing threads. Some ideas are dangerous or idiotic and deserve ridicule. I think sarcasm, ridicule and well reasoned responses all have a place here. I also think that once a legitimate question has been answered fully, part of the unique appeal of this site is how we let the humor take over. It is against the rules here to attack people...it is not against the rules to attack ideas or plans or stupid comments. (I am thinking of CCP, Cjoe, Knothead and others in this context.) There are plenty of places to go for factual boring discussions of what anchor to buy...I have yet to find another sailnet.
Cam - Look for a PM from me re: boat cleaning - e.
Old 10-04-2007
Galley Goddess

sailhagg is on a distinguished road
Well, a spot just for us ladies? How nice...there does seem to be a bit of 'potty mouth' on some of the guy threads.

Sooooo ladies. What do you want to do with this spot?

I'd be interested in hearing from other women who've single handed their boat, even if it's just a short trip, particularly your first trip. What went well and what could you have done better and was there anything 'annoying'?

This spring I took our Newport 30 down the Columbia river to have her hauled out and the bottom painted and new zinc put on. The trip down was nice, good weather but I was a bit tense as I'd not traveled down this channel before. Plus I wasn't exactly sure what the boat yard would look like from the water. The trip down was easy and went well.

It was bringing her back to the club that turned out to be annoying.

I had my daughter on board with me as well as Buddy our chihuahua. The weather wasn't the best and I grabbed my foul weather gear, as I could see a dark weather line coming in. My daughter stayed below with a nice little fire going in the solid fuel heater...which sent a sliver of smoke in my direction.

I motored up the channel, yes I used the iron jenny as there was no wind. As I passed the first set of docked boats a 'nice man' began telling me how he wished he could go sailing. As a matter of fact he talked to me until he ran out of dock.

A little farther upriver I become aware of the fact that many of the guys working on the docks were look at my boat. Some of them are actually running and jumping over stuff to get a better look. Now, if I was a young, svelte, chick-y-babe I'd have thought they were looking at me! But being the old bat that I am, I figured I was having problems.

So I check the dark cloud line which by now was quite close and then lean over the stern to be sure I've water pumping out the back. Sure enough I can see the water pump is working fine. Now I'm frowning...maybe I'm going too fast, check my wake, almost none. Maybe I'm on the wrong side of the markers, nope.

Drats! The rain starts pouring and I pull the hood from my foulies over my head. I see a small commercial fishing boat just ahead of me and I slow down until I can figure out which way to pass them as this is a really narrow channel. As I moved past the entire crew comes running to say hi and look at the boat....hummm...now I'm really feeling weird!

Finally I'm out on the Columbia and the rain pours down and the fog screeched in. Visibility dropped to almost nothing! On came my running lights...we have commercial barges and I wanted them to be able to see me even if I was staying outside of the channel.

GPS in hand, eyes straining to see and smoke making them water...I slowly make my way back to our slip in the club. Later while talking with a much more seasoned lady sailor in our club...it was pointed out that the guys weren't looking at the boat. It's just soooooo odd to see a woman by herself on a boat.

How offensive! Ladies we as a group, have to do better. It's something I harp on periodically in my blog. Women are perfectly capable....we just have to push beyond our comfort zone.

So, how about it? Anyone else?