Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Sailhagg,
Quite inspiring story, well related.

It has been noted often that this forum is basically dead, and no one wants it that way. All attempts to keep it going have petered out due to lack of female interest. Would that your polemic might inspire others to join in. It really is quite a blank canvas with a lot of potential, but it's going to take women, not men, to make a go of it.

In my opinion, you are probably going to have to symbolically throw the men out. Otherwise the forum will be just like the others with only a female name over it. The emphasis has to be on the female perspective. How you'd go about getting the boy's to just shut up and listen is beyond me. Limiting the topics might help, most seamanship, gear, and maintenance questions are gender neutral. And our current crop of female hardy's is quite comfortable giving us guy's a sharp elbo in the ribs when needed-they play on a level field with us in the other forums.

Aside from whatever feelings you may have about your appearance, we are enthusiastic supporters of women sailing; after all, they were'nt talking about some guy when they referred to a face that launched a thousand ships. And we're big on any good excuses for launching ships. I think you'll find that there is an almost undetectable presence of men who dislike women on board; you'll find countless threads devoted to just the opposite goal-involving wives, girlfriends, and children more. We look forward to more of your enthusiasm and well told stories.
Old 10-04-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Sway...shut up and let the women alone! (g)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2007
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Sailway.. I hear you.. and I am trying to maybe bring it back if I can. I hope to keep some of the locker talk out of here. Why I ask the moderators to put some controls in here.

Sailhag. .. Welcome. great story. I can relate. Last year I sailed alone a lot and it took the guys a few months to figure I was for real ( can handle the boat) and them not coming to my rescue. Chivalry may still exist out there. Now, when I do sail alone or with other women , I think most of the guys that see me(us) are saying to themselves, "Way to go", "Wish my wife would do that" or maybe other thoughts of the romantic nature. I don't consider myself a looker or the age of models either but as sailors go, their standards are well,, you'll figure it out. Just look at all the pictures they post on the other threads.. LOL.

We women can sail if they have the want, desire and motivation. I have a saying that I call the three AAA's: Attitude, Aptitude, Ambition. A pearl of wisdom that most succussful people have.
Melissa
RealST likes this.
Old 10-05-2007
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
When we first started sailing, we'd turn heads simply because the girl was at the helm and the guy was on the bow. (This was in redneck country - I can't even imagine the response if I was single handing) The harbormaster liked us because we didn't yell at each other - thank goodness for hand signals - and always gave us an 'easy' slip ... until he figured out that we didn't need the special treatment.

To go with the 3 'A's do we need an acronym? GULLS - for Gutsy Unstoppable Lady Sailors?
Old 10-05-2007
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Sailhagg - welcome! good story. Could you post a link to the blog?
Old 10-05-2007
Galley Goddess

sailhagg is on a distinguished road
I've posted to other forums here before and I've looked at this one but as sailaway points out few women join in. I think it's almost the same as taking the helm. Look at it this way ladies (those who are reading and not writing) no one will yell at you, tell you you're doing it wrong, your stupid, etc. So even if all you do is type in 'hi'...it's a start.

As far as my appearance Sailaway (see this is why guys don't need to be here) I hold my own against my own age group...but no one looks good in fouiles!

Aside from my own 'dock ape idiot' who supports my handling the boat...because he really doesn't want to take the helm.... I find all the men I've met, save one jerk, support me at the helm. Although my DAI likes to yell. I think many women don't take the helm because they don't want to be yelled at.

I've made some boo-boo's and I've left marks on the topside but I simple refuse to allow myself to be so embarrased that I stop learning. Besides, I know this is how men learn to do things. At least my DAI does. If he did it and it went wrong...it's my fault, if I did it and it went wrong...it's my fault. Thus, I've taken a page from the mens book on 'how to communicate'...I yell back at him. He's learning not to yell at me

Eryka, I love GULLS...we just have to convince the rest of the ladies out there that it's the truth. So, come on ladies, grab a cup of coffee...or glass of wine and lets talk!

Eryka, my blog's PacificNorthwestBoating.com I only started it a few months ago, my thoughts were that maybe others could learn from my boo-boo's...

Melrna, I think you're right that others are wishing their wives/girlfriends would take a clue from those of us who take the helm. Maybe the guys need to look at the gear and adjust for smaller muscles? I'd love to hear about some of your time at the helm.

Thanks for the welcome all! Fair Winds!

Last edited by sailhagg; 10-05-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-17-2007
Banned

bwalker42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
This is a thread that is primarily BY and FOR the female members of Sailnet where they can post and share questions and concerns with others in an adult and rational way. It is not:
1. A place for the men of sailnet to post "want ads"
2. A place where conversation, language and content will be permitted to degenerate into "locker room" standards that may be acceptable in the off topic forum.

Moderators will manage this sub-forum more aggressively and delete posts and threads that do not meet this higher standard as we try to carve out a more female friendly place within Sailnet.
We encourage our female members to find a home here and to report any posts you find objectionable using the "report post" icon in the top right corner of each message.
Thanks in advance to all for your cooperation.
Now I say this is beautiful!! And Thank God that Chivalry is not dead.

I for one greatly appreciate this sentiment and thought process regarding making this a user friendly internet port for the women's club "Really lucky women" Who enjoy sailing and do not just put up with it for their husbands or significant other's sake.

~~**~*~~Thanks Cam and all other moderators who watch this for us ladies

LesleyS likes this.
Old 10-17-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
You're most welcome...and Happy Birthday sailor!
Old 10-18-2007

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
John, being a sensitive new age guy at this stage will only take you so far.
Old 10-18-2007
Banned

bwalker42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
You're most welcome...and Happy Birthday sailor!

Thanks Cam! I appreciate you more than you know!

B