Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
Did you know the bones of St Valantine are burried in White Friars Church. Dublin.
I,m off to meet mine for dinner. you never know.
Happy St Valentines day.

Last edited by centaursailor; 02-14-2011 at 04:58 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2011

helenwiley is on a distinguished road
I may have missed something in this thread. There seem to be some gaps in the information from one post to the next.

That being said, I believe that a section for women would be great. After spending months on end with Captain Bob, a female perspective on questions and situations is refreshing and enlightening. Circumstances that bother women are frequently insignificant to me, for example, clean clothes and lots of hot water for a shower.

I like hanging on the hook as well as anybody, but about every two weeks, I need a "marina fix.

Women only instruction is terrific for those who are more comfortable in an all girls situation. Some are more likely to ask questions and take the initiative when men aren't around.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 08-27-2011

OlderandWiser is on a distinguished road
Singlehander

Hi ladies. I also singlehand and I am not surprised this forum is small. It appears we are a rare breed. I am not young at 59 but take the boat out most weekends. My husband does not sail but he does maintain it for me which makes it nice. Very happy to meet all of you. I joined a sailing club recently to meet other women sailors. Most are passengers but nice. There is a younger bunch that is growing though. All the best
Old 03-03-2012
ghsmindy

ghsmindy is on a distinguished road
Docking singlehanded? Thank you for the females' section on SailNet.

Hi, Ladies. I'm new to the forums but happy to see a section geared toward the folks who realize XX means a full set of chromosomes, as opposed to a movie rating! :-)

I adore sailing with my husband. He is mechanically inclined and a wonderful sailing partner. We've sailed our own boats and chartered all over.

I raced sailboats since I was 10, qualified for nationals, (Lightnings) and raced on my club team in college. I've singlehanded often on smaller sailboats. I spend a lot of time on our Hunter 376 but so far have not taken her out singlehanded. Not because the sailing is difficult, but because docking in our marina, especially if weather comes up while you're out, is. There are many other beautiful boats docked around me, many of which extend beyond their slip openings, making it impossible to spring in.

Have any of you gals had success with this? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Mindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
This is a thread that is primarily BY and FOR the female members of Sailnet where they can post and share questions and concerns with others in an adult and rational way. It is not:
1. A place for the men of sailnet to post "want ads"
2. A place where conversation, language and content will be permitted to degenerate into "locker room" standards that may be acceptable in the off topic forum.

Moderators will manage this sub-forum more aggressively and delete posts and threads that do not meet this higher standard as we try to carve out a more female friendly place within Sailnet.
We encourage our female members to find a home here and to report any posts you find objectionable using the "report post" icon in the top right corner of each message.
Thanks in advance to all for your cooperation.
Old 03-03-2012
ghsmindy

ghsmindy is on a distinguished road
Hi, Singlehand :-)

Thank you for your posting! What size sailboat are you on? How do you manage docking, or are you on a mooring?

All the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderandWiser View Post
Hi ladies. I also singlehand and I am not surprised this forum is small. It appears we are a rare breed. I am not young at 59 but take the boat out most weekends. My husband does not sail but he does maintain it for me which makes it nice. Very happy to meet all of you. I joined a sailing club recently to meet other women sailors. Most are passengers but nice. There is a younger bunch that is growing though. All the best
Old 03-03-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Welcome to Sailnet gshmindy.

Most of the posts in this thread are quite old, but good for you for poking around the forum to see what's what.

I have no advice on your docking solo other than take it slow, pay close attention to the wind and current, and try to have your ducks in a row before you need them to quack.

You mentioned being in a slip. It's helpful to try to have your lines laid out on the dock or positioned on the pilings where you can easily grab them with a boat hook on re-entering the slip. Not always easy as sometimes when leaving you'll have to just heave them onto the dock in the interest of time.

I constantly go through docking scenarios in my head (usually during boring meetings at work). That way, when it's time to dock, it's like I've been practicing. It also helps to practice when the marina is quiet, usually mid-week when the weekend warriors aren't about. Also, practice on calm days when there's no wind to sail anyway. That will make those windy days a tad less harrowing.

Well, I guess I had something to offer after all.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-03-2012

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
For my wife and I, docking is more difficult than sailing, especially depending upon the wind direction and of course the strength. Sometimes we think we can get out of the slip, we can sail but wonder can we get back into the slip, and then decide to stay in the slip.
Old 03-03-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasSailer View Post
For my wife and I, docking is more difficult than sailing,
I think if you ask even the most experienced sailor, he or she will say the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasSailer View Post
Sometimes we think we can get out of the slip, we can sail but wonder can we get back into the slip, and then decide to stay in the slip.
Do what makes you comfortable. No shame in that.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-03-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Some of our best stories and biggest embarrasments have been arrving back to our slip. I never ever take an uneventfull docking experience without thanking my wife and my boat.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-20-2013

capt.roxanne is on a distinguished road
Re: HerSailnet...Ground Rules

Hello, I just joined two days ago and I was looking for a place to post. This is really great that you have area set aside for women. I'm really glad that I stumbled across SailNet everyone has been really nice to me. I have a 16 foot Hobie and I am working my way up to a larger live aboard, but in the meanwhile I really love my Boat. it seems like it's been a long time since someone has posted here. It would be great to meet other women sailors.Roxanne
RealST likes this.