Gentlemen... your most embarassing sailing moment if you please. - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2007

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
On my stink boat (sold now) with a friend at the helm for the very first time. I was standing on the swim platform ready to fend off pilings etc. We were backing into a slip and making a little too much speed, so I asked him to slow down. He, being used to his 18hp, not the 260 hp on my Crownline goosed it in forward. The momentum change and bow up wheelie literally launched me off the stern into the 48 degree water about 50 feet away from the piers in 5ft of water. Since he was still going backwards I swam like hell to the bulkhead. Meanwhile my buddy was now on my boat, underway and had no idea how to dock it.
Did I mention that about 30 people were on hand to watch my beatiful swan like belly flop and flounder like swim to the pier?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2007

countrybumpkin is on a distinguished road
Not me, but my Dad, Duck Key......."the chart is wrong"

LOL! (the chart is wrong?!!!) Well, guess who got to take the zodiac in to the marina and con some fishing boat into pulling him and the Morgan 51 off the sand bar.
Old 11-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Chuckles-

Be grateful...if you had done that today...someone would have caught it on their camera phone and you'd live forever immortalized on Youtube or some other video sharing service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
On my stink boat (sold now) with a friend at the helm for the very first time. I was standing on the swim platform ready to fend off pilings etc. We were backing into a slip and making a little too much speed, so I asked him to slow down. He, being used to his 18hp, not the 260 hp on my Crownline goosed it in forward. The momentum change and bow up wheelie literally launched me off the stern into the 48 degree water about 50 feet away from the piers in 5ft of water. Since he was still going backwards I swam like hell to the bulkhead. Meanwhile my buddy was now on my boat, underway and had no idea how to dock it.
Did I mention that about 30 people were on hand to watch my beatiful swan like belly flop and flounder like swim to the pier?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-01-2007

Andyman is on a distinguished road
I'm still pretty new so I'm making plenty of mistakes but the first big one was when I was out maybe on my third time alone. I motored into the wind, went up and raised the main. Went back to the cockpit and couldn't get the darn boat to sail. Looked at the main and realized I hadn't inserted the ropebolt into the mast.

Second one: forgot to pull up my rudder when I was loading the boat onto the trailer...that was a $400 lesson.

Andy
Old 11-01-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Been there done that! The rudder part that is.
Old 11-01-2007

GulfCoastSkimmer is on a distinguished road
a drag

I was launching the sunfish (the story is not about my only boat being a sunfish atm) about 30 feet or so off Bolivar beach, Lifejacket snaged on the side, and there i was, dragging from the side of a sunfish heading down the beach, with my swim trunks at my ankles. I went about 200 yards or so before loosining the halyard and dropping sail. It seemed like forever. So there i was, about 25 feet off shore, trunks on one foot, and not thinking i stood up in about 2 1/2 feet of water. To this day i dont know if the people on shore noticed the lack of trunks, but i sat back down quick, drug her back out, raised sail, and sailed off as quick as possible.
Old 11-03-2007
Ready to Sail Away

Lesmusic1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lesmusic1
Talking No, I"m The Captian

I'm writting this for my husband, he shares this story with people...makes everyone laugh. (my husband works too much, like I've mentioned in other threads)

Picture this: New sailers coming in to our marina, small river way. We are tacking..(SHOWING OFF to freinds in marina). It's time to start engine...IT WON'T START!!!

I ask THE CAPTAIN..(my husband).."what do you want me to do"..I had wheel. He saYS," WE ARE GOING TO TACK"....

At that time he's says, IT'S TIME TO TACK"......I diagreed with him,. me knowing that river like the back of my hand, we didn't need to tack yet and in this SMALL river way...OH..in front of ALL our marina friends....I wasn't going to do it then.

He screams "TACK...TACK"..............my responce.....
"NO, YOUR NOT THE CAPTIAN ANYMORE ( MY FULL DECISION)...I AM...AND WE AIN'T TACKING YET"...

Poor guy.....Like I said, in front of our marina.....We tacked when I thought we needed to...of course I was right BUT...my poor husband, what was he going to do loosing his Captian title in the middle of Danger!

Thank God he loves me.........most of the time
Old 11-04-2007
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
Sailing my first boat, Newport 28 with a friend on the Columbia River. We head upriver, into the wind and raise the sails. When the jib goes up (hank on), I hear a funny sound. "What was that?" He says he didn't think it was from my boat, as there were many others out that summer evening. We trim the sails and bear off. A few seconds - OK, probably 10-15 seconds - I notice we aren't making any headway. Check the shore that's only 1/8 mile away, and sure enough we are under full canvas and sailing in place. Not even drifting with the current. Huh? Look around, not believing what my senses are telling me. Finally, I go up to the bow and notice my CQR is not in the bow roller...

The anchor had been dislodged by the jib and dropped (that was the funny sound). After bearing off I somehow managed to wrap the rode all the way around the fin keel. Would not come up. Another sailboat came by to help, but he approached from up river and smashed into me. The guy uttered a loud profanity and kept going. Then the sherrif's boat came by and suggested the following: I tied a fender to the bitter end of the rode and dropped it over as the boat drifted/sailed down river. Few moments later the fender popped up and I retrieved the anchor. Learned then and there the importance of securing the anchor while underway...

"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Old 11-04-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
lesmusic1- Isn't that mutiny??

Moonfish- At least you now the anchor works.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-04-2007
Living & Cruising on Dana

Robby Barlow is on a distinguished road
Visiting a nice bay in Ibiza this summer I hit the remote to drop the anchor on a sandy patch in about 6mts. of water. After dropping 35mts. of chain I put the engine in reverse to dig it in, and about 100mts later the anchor was still not holding. At that stage I realized that I had forgotten to take of the safety & the anchor was still hanging on the bow.