Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2009
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Hey ladies!
Don't forget how we always get unsolicited; "hey, you dock the boat all by yourself??? You did a great job... guess your hubby trained you well! or variations of the same.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2009

alwheeler98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafinadh View Post
heh. Iffen you haven't dumped her yer not even half tryin...
Is that like "If you haven't been aground, you haven't been around"? :-)
Old 09-22-2009

aerie is on a distinguished road
As one of the few female members of the Great Lakes Singlehanded Society, and after completing a singlehanded challenge on four of the five Great Lakes (Ontario 2010) I have now earned the respect of the men I sail with. I can still remember the time I took my 36-footer out for a sunset sail for the first time by myself. I finally realized I was often singlehanding with guests so why not do it by myself. Now I don't hesitate to cast off the dock lines and head off on a singlehanded passage of 120 miles. I always clip in when by myself, and I have a personal Spot tracker which functions like a personal EPIRB. My best upgrade to the boat for singlehanding: a Raymarine 6000+ below deck pilot with remote for my C&C 33. It handled 6-foot following seas with 30 knots apparent without a complaint.
Old 09-22-2009

jimd333sail is on a distinguished road
I hope you all have properly rigged jacklines and wear an inflatable lifevest. We lost a sailor in Long Island Sound this summer who was probably going up to raise his sail, and nobody went over to investigate the motoring boat going in circle until hours later when he was probably gone. A google search on rigging jacklines will bring up lots of good material.

On a lighter note, you should see how people look at you when you singlehandedly raise the sails at the dock and shove off.
Old 11-29-2009

winchmaster is on a distinguished road
Sailing a lone is great way to refine skill as a sailor. It also give us a chance to unwind from the day at work or a moment to ourselves. But in regards to safety is really wise to sail alone?
Old 11-29-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
why all the ????????? Denise

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-29-2009

mike dixon is on a distinguished road
Alone at sea without a whistle.

I sailed alone for years out here in Hawaii on my Rozinate 28' and
loved the solitude. One must of course take special precautions
but I can't see any reason to suppose gender differences. But I suppose
it might be like a woman going to a bar alone... every looser in there
(Boat in the next slip.... sailing nearby etc) ...thinks this is 'his' big chance.

Also, thanks for the tank source lead. 'Moeller Marine' doesn't have a
rep out here in Hawaii but I will chase down a supplier in California.
Old 12-03-2009

ehatch is on a distinguished road
nice thread...

Thanks for all the commentary, it's encouraging (like I need it!). Being able to sail solo is one of the things that draws me to sailing. It's not too unusual for fishermen in my area to venture out alone, some do it commercially. I don't think I'd be an oddity here as a female in Alaska single handing. If anything I'll get eye rolls for not having a fishing/working boat.
Old 12-03-2009
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by winchmaster View Post
Sailing a lone is great way to refine skill as a sailor. It also give us a chance to unwind from the day at work or a moment to ourselves. But in regards to safety is really wise to sail alone?
Comments like this drive me batty.

No matter how many precautions you take (personal EPIRB, sailing plan, jacklines, etc), the answer is "no" it's not wise. It would always be safer with another human in the boat. It would also be safer and more prudent to just stay in your living room on the sofa and not ever sail. Or ride a motorcycle, or go skiing, or.....

It's simply a matter of risk management vs. how much you want to live your life: If you want to live, really live, then you go out and sail alone but you mitigate the risks as much as possible with equipment and training until the reward vs. risk equation reaches a level that you can tolerate.

We are such a risk-averse, wrap-me-in-bubblepaper society today that it just makes me cringe.
Old 12-03-2009
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
eh... getting out there alone even if just to motor is a great way to decompress. power boaters get out there alone.. and they only have one source of power. Sailors have 3 or more.. the motor, the main sail, and or the jib. even more if it's a ketch!

My boat is for sale.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.