Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Women's Inflatable PFD/Harness

Hello HerSailNetters,

I would like to solicit your recommendations for combination PFD/harness inflatables that are specifically designed for women. My wife and I wear standard closed-cell foam PFDs whenever conditions warrant, but for next season we'd like to upgrade to inflatables that we'd wear routinely.

I already know which model I'd like to get, so I'm not seeking recommendations for myself. But what works well for a guy may not be best for a woman, so we are looking for your recommendations re comfort, design, durability, etc. We would like the PFD to double as a harness, but if you have a standard inflatable PFD you'd highly recommend, we'd be interested to hear that as well.

Apologies if this topic has been covered before, but the offerings change frequently enough that I hope you won't mind revisiting it. Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You might want to try the Spinlock Deckvest. A friend of mine got one for her birthday, back in November, based on my using a Spinlock. Has most of the same features as the one I have, but is a bit easier to get into from what she says.

Some features the Spinlocks have that others don't...

Completely integrated harness by Petzl, a climbing gear manufacturer
Spray hood
Water activated strobe

I don't remember if the thigh straps she has on hers were optional or came with it, but I highly recommend getting them if they're optional.

A woman in the Barcelona World Race is using one. From Spinlock's website:
Quote:
Twenty Six year old French sailor Servane Escoffier is undertaking her first round the world race onboard Educación sin Fronteras with fellow crewman Albert Bargues.

No stranger to offshore sailing having completed two Transat Jacques Vabre, Servane is working towards her dream of competing in the single handed Vendee Globe.

Currently charging through the Southern Ocean, both crew are wearing Deckvest Lifejacket harnesses.

www.barcelonaworldrace.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-10-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
From my wife's experience, any PFD, inflatable or otherwise needs thigh straps. Facing facts, her um build is such that any PFD that fits low (waist and hips) will be too loose and will float up on her if not held down via straps.
Old 01-10-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Chuckles-

I can hear the ice cracking under your feet... be very careful... I'm guessing that discussing a woman's shape online can be very, very unhealthy if she finds out and disagrees at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
From my wife's experience, any PFD, inflatable or otherwise needs thigh straps. Facing facts, her um build is such that any PFD that fits low (waist and hips) will be too loose and will float up on her if not held down via straps.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 01-10-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
She's the one who sewed the straps on to her PFD after testing it, won't be a problem.
Old 01-10-2008

Dunlookn has a little shameless behaviour in the past
My girfriend has the classic (yet, never out of date) figure.

We looked at a number of PFD's. She liked the Mustang. I (always dollar aware) purchased her an SOSuspender (offshore version)

I do not like the fit on her, at all. Based on the design, the rear portion of the "waist" (?) straps are in mid-back and do not allow her to "cinch" a belt around her waist.

She sews so a thigh strap is not an issue on any PFD that does not have one.

I should have purchased the Mustang.

I will be looking at the Spinlock as I do not have a "warm-fuzzy" feeling about the fit of the SOSuspender. I purchased a rearm kit and will have her test it in the pool.
Old 01-10-2008

Always the best bet - put it on and jump in; then wear it for a half hour or so and see how it feels while doing the things you'll need to do if you went overboard.
Old 01-10-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Good question as all the guys start asking questions. Does someone have a picture of said sewed on thigh straps? i have a wife and daughter that to say this nicely, are upside down pear shaped, another daughter that is more bottom pear shaped. What works on one, does not work on the other two! So i can see how this can be a discussion that need to be worked out based on figure. This hits me in snow ski instruction also. The shape of the persons body can change the center of gravity, so one needs to allow for this in many different ways.

marty
Old 01-10-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Thanks ladies!

Guys, I appreciate your suggestions, but we're trying to get input from WOMEN about which models (specifically) they prefer and why. Sorry I did not make that clear in my original post.

But if no women respond we'll be grateful for the above responses nonetheless. So far Mustang and Spinlock are indicated...
Old 01-10-2008
Telstar 28

Her sewing it on is a bit different from you discussing her reasons for doing so online...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
She's the one who sewed the straps on to her PFD after testing it, won't be a problem.

Telstar 28
New England