Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2011
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
i always shaved dry , against the proper direction, so i never had a problem. stings a tad in salt water the same day, but , otherwise--no problem. and in the cockpit so no hairs in the bilges...
Me and Boo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2012

helenwiley is on a distinguished road
Re: Shaving legs onboard?

OK...here's what I do. Forget the water. Use hand cream. You not only get shaved but also take care of dry skin at the same time.
i_amcdn likes this.
Old 03-24-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

How come more women have not discovered laser treatment...? A lot of OBGYN's are offering it these days as are lots of other doctors. IPL works well too but arguably requires a couple more visits than laser. The price has come way down over the last 5 years.

My friend even had his back done. He's no longer a gorilla with his shirt off and women & children no longer run away when he's on a beach...... I think it cost him $1200.00 total...

The up front cost was a bit tough but it has been one of those things my wife try's to persuade all her friends to do. Many now have and they can't believe they did not do it sooner.... Money well spent!!!! Never shave again.....

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 03-24-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
The up front cost was a bit tough but it has been one of those things my wife try's to persuade all her friends to do. Many now have and they can't believe they did not do it sooner.... Money well spent!!!! Never shave again.....
I believe in redundancy. Long leg hair can be a backup to the tell tales.

Don't get me wrong, I do shave, but I can't imagine caring that much about leg hair that I'd spend that amount to have it removed.
jrd22 likes this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-25-2012

bobnpaula is on a distinguished road

We have 120 gals fresh water. Here's what I do: stand under shower in head. Quickly get entire body and head wet. Shut off water. Shampoo/condition hair. Leave conditioner on hair. Soap up body. Put small amount shaving cream (or body lotion) on legs. Shave legs using pink throwaway razor. Once legs (and armpits) are done, run water again, and quickly rinse entire body. Done, and used very little water, but feel nice and clean (and smooth).
If a nice, hot day, you can do this same method on the stern platform with the stern shower. Daytime... bathing suit. Nighttime... whatever.
On our old boat, I have done this same method with a solar shower up on deck.
We also like Savon de Mer, all in one shampoo/soap that works well with salt water.
Here's to more women piping up on this thread!
Paula
Old 03-26-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i wont shave in my shower as the water runs off into a sump for pump to remove from boat. hair makes clogs and nastiness in this sump--therefore-- not done inboard. isnt how much water i can carry--160 gallons, but the pump for removal i am concerned with at this point. is severely less pricey to shave outside than it is to replace another pump....

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 03-31-2012

Aussie escapade is on a distinguished road

Veet hair removal cream? Spray it on and wipe it off with sponge provided. Good enough job for when you are at sea!

Old 05-09-2012

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbee View Post
"marketing"

"It began with the May,1915 edition of Harperís Bazaar magazine that featured a model sporting the latest fashion. She wore a sleeveless evening gown that exposed, for the first time in fashion, her bare shoulders, and her (shaved) armpits. Shocking at first, this soon caught on. At the same time a marketing executive with the Wilkinson Sword Company, which made razor blades for men, designed a campaign to convince women that underarm hair was unfeminine. By 1917 the sales of razor blades doubled as women conformed to this feminine stereotype of shaving under their arms."

Shaving History ę Fluffy Woman
LOL. Thanks for this! Seriously.

That said, I don't shave. And I run around in shorts and tank tops all the time. Then again, am not really "hairy" so to speak, and never have been. In any event, back when I was falling for the feminine stereotype... or rather regularly wore hose for work, I used a depilatory. Nair, neet/veet, whatever. Primarily bc I hated razor burn, and those always left my skin very soft. So... if I did feel the urge to "shave" while aboard, I would use the depilatory. Anyway, that's my 2Ę, fwiw.
Old 09-15-2012
Sailing on Chance

KelleyG is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to KelleyG

I'm preparing to live aboard my boat for about six months and this was definitely a topic that was on the top of my list to uncover. Have any of the ladies converted to waxing their legs? Heating up the wax on the stove and using that way? What are the thoughts on that process? Just trying to see what my best options are.

Thanks.
Kelley
Old 09-15-2012
Jace2

Jace2 is on a distinguished road

Hey Kelley, male live aboarder, here.

It's so interesting, somewhat inspiring, and not so little 'sexy' to hear a woman is going to live aboard her boat. Very cool, I applaud you.

Although I do live on my Coronado 25 - which is for sale, by the way - I've been staying with friends while I do some work on their home for them.

As for the waxing, although I have plenty to wax! I don't intend to do so. It would leave my chest a bit cold.

Good luck.