SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Shaving legs onboard?

35K views 100 replies 49 participants last post by  hellosailor 
#1 ·
Well, my girlfreind and I are sitting around and talking about the things that a person takes for grandted in the house that is not avaliable onboard a boat while cruising. The main thing is showering. Our boat has a shower but like most other boats it doesnt have an unlimited amount of fresh water on board, so showering with meek amounts of water is something that you must get used too.

One topic that came up is shaving legs. What methods do you ladies use to shave your legs while using a minimal amount of fresh water. Have you tried it with salt water? Does it work well? Sting?

Thanks and any replies would be much appreciated by females or males who have observed this being done.

#2 ·
You can fill up a cup with warm water, splash a little on your legs, put on the shaving cream and shave:) use the rest of the water in the cup to rinse off your razor, then you are done. With just one cup of water.
I know this not from living on a boat but from shaving while I watch TV in the bedroom. hehe

#3 ·
Well, my girlfreind and I are sitting around and talking about the things that a person takes for grandted in the house that is not avaliable onboard a boat while cruising. The main thing is showering. Our boat has a shower but like most other boats it doesnt have an unlimited amount of fresh water on board, so showering with meek amounts of water is something that you must get used too.

One topic that came up is shaving legs. What methods do you ladies use to shave your legs while using a minimal amount of fresh water. Have you tried it with salt water? Does it work well? Sting?

Thanks and any replies would be much appreciated by females or males who have observed this being done.
I'll put this matter of supreme importance to the Ms Wombat and see what she says. I can tell you that salt water is not the answer. I have a feeling the Ms W will concur with Gypsy Womans method but confirmation will follow. But what of a Brazilian he asked ? Ouch. :)

#5 ·
My wife tends to use pumice stone as part of bathing and exfoliating when water is scarce.

I asked, That was her answer....And I have noticed her doing it, so there you go. apparently pumice works really well at removing leg hair once you make it a habbit (as in do it while the new hairs are still soft and not expecially strong).

Going for a good skid on the deck-tread proabably will not achieve the same results...

Sasha

#7 ·
My wife shaves her legs sitting on the side of the inflatable in salt water. Try using hair conditioner rather than shave cream.. works well and doesn't leave suds on the water.

#9 ·
Wife always used those pink, disposable razors in the aft head shower for her legs and underarms - while practicing frugal use of onboard water reserves of course . . . in spite of the 140 gal fresh water tank.

Smooth legs are more than a luxury - nothing worse than V-berth nub-rash.

#11 ·
Cam—

I was being good and not saying anything... and then you go and say it anyways...

CP—

When my better half and I were engaged, but living 3000 miles apart, she'd occasionally use my razor for her legs... and I've never seen a razor get dull so fast... women must have silicon carbide for leg hair...cause it dulls a razor faster than anything else I've ever seen. Two day leg stubble might as well be 80-grit sand paper.

Reactions: PsychedChicken
#12 ·
... and I've never seen a razor get dull so fast... women must have silicon carbide for leg hair...cause it dulls a razor faster than anything else I've ever seen. Two day leg stubble might as well be 80-grit sand paper.
Wow Dog,
your not making very many friends with the ladies.
Others might think this, but would never say it out loud.

#14 ·
Chuckles, do you finish with a coat of Turtle wax??

TJK-

Like I'm going to start being PC now... Right...

#16 ·
I put the sand paper on my pillow, the next morning, I put milk on my head and the cat gets the rest.
I am not loosing my hair, I know where they went and decided to let them be free.

Roman's used to use flaming sticks to shave (burn off) hair from legs, pits and pubes - any ladies ever try that?

#19 ·
A bit sadistic, isn't it? Hey TJK, what does your better half think of this idea???

#21 · (Edited)
I thought I had a picture of Julie actually shaving.
This is a close as I could find. (not a very flattering picture of my wife; I hope she doen't hate me for this one)
The girl's lounge around on floaties and wash thier hair and shave, IN THE LAKE, where you are supposed to. Gotta love fresh water.

#23 ·
Isn't it sad that altho posted in herSailNet, and a question posed to the female posters, only one has responded - and that us typical males on the forum have taken the thread over and are now, true to form, posting answers that are truly ridiculous (and I will add, consist on run on sentences with no whitespace and bad punctuation).

Oxaclic Acid anyone? Ten minutes in a bucket bath using saltwater and tequilla.

#26 ·
Of course, you could avoid the whole situation by using either electrolytic hair removal prior to departure or a depilatory cream, like VEET, while cruising. :)

TB-

The random orbital sander was for Chuckles, not the ladies... whose skin is far too delicate to use either a heat gun or sander on. :)

#27 ·
Continuing on the hijacked thread venue -

TJK, the question was specifically shaving onboard. I can not help but notice that unless you sail on a inflatable lounge chair your wife and daughter(?) are clearly not onboard and therefore your solution is not viable or pertinent.

Certainly not as much as my oxaclic acid solution anyway :)

#28 · (Edited)
Take a bucket and fill it with Fresh Lake Water, than shave till your hearts content. There, how is that.
Man you guys/girls that sail in the salt don't know what you are missing.
And yes Chuckles is 100% correct, we have destroyed this thread.
Sorry ladies, it is after all in HERSAILNET.

#30 ·
Of course, along the lines of the tweezer torture method, they could always use something like this:

Requires no water... topical anesthetics yes, but no water. :)

#31 ·
Those are popular in Europe. When I lived in Sicily the local ladies used them plus a spray of some type. The spray was something that kept the hair from growing back as quick or reduced the thickness or something.

This being before my current marriage I can highly recommend it from the guy's point of view - it produces superior results - and when my girlfriend used it on her wherever's I didn't feel a thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.