Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2008
dreams of cruising

Sandalwood is on a distinguished road
Seems like the original thread topic is pretty well covered. My man is snipped so we can avoid all the pill complications. This seems like the best method to me. No meds to stock up on or worry about, no implants to go wrong, and most of the surgical options now days are reversable if you decide it's time to add a second mate. However, it might be hard to convince a doctor to do the procedure if your young and don't have kids. I think it's more difficult for a woman to have it done than a man right now. Too many legal issues...

However, on the other topic brought up... I just got my first menstral cup in the mail. If it works the way it's supposed to, I've got a minimum of five years low maintenance, no bulky tampons aboard. Bought mine from MoonCup which you can find on line if curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2008

svbillabong is on a distinguished road
I've been cruising the last five years ... from Mexico, east to the Med. I have NOT had a problem getting birth control. Keep the packages, so that you have the drug names rather than brand name. I usually carry a 12-18 months supply and keep in a dry spot in the bilge (cooler there). It's amazing how affordable it is outside the states (I'm buying it without insurance). If you are willing to carry 12-18 months and depending on your route then you'll be able to buy it in bigger countries (ie NZ, AU).

Talking with your doctor before you leave is Key ... my doctor and I went over every type of bc; we decided against the IUD because I was leaving soon at this point and we wanted longer to "test" it before I headed off to lands unknown. The patch didn't sound good with hot & humid climates, and so on. In the end we figured the pill was best. Also there is now the Seasonal pill - or you can take your normal pill, skipping the sugar pills such that I now only have my period 4 times a year)-- on a boat this is GRAND! Also I arranged it with my doctor so that I could email him if needed ... if I buy a different b control that I'm not sure about I email him the contents just to be sure.

I've found most countries to be well stocked in types, brands, and styles of pads (and mini pads) but NOT tampons. Especially if you want a plastic applicator. I bought a HUGE supply from Costco before leaving, and have just now (five years later) had to look at buying more .. tampons do NOT take up much room - there is always a nook or cranny to fit them into.

We did have to use extra protection during the months we were on anti-malarial pills - so you have to keep stuff like that in mind.

Flying home every year would be grand, but it's expensive - something we couldn't afford. Depending on your age you may not need yearly exams ... in a lot of countries (EU, NZ, AU) women only get exams every 2-3 years (again depending on your age and history).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chris Myles + KT Roddick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-24-2009
Newby Sailor

Cindycm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Cindycm
Ah, the joys of menopause
Old 03-14-2009

gardeningal is on a distinguished road
period options

I have not used the cup, but have used a product called always, looks like a very thin diaphragm and is inserted the same. It's intended for one time use, but I have used one for one period cycle washing with soap and water after emptying it. Usually only need to empty once or twice daily. If you keep it clean, could probably use it for more cycles, very much like the cup, I just like the fit of this better. Should be able to find at most drug store.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.