SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   herSailNet (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/hersailnet/)
-   -   Women and men brains... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/hersailnet/42607-women-men-brains.html)

merttan 04-26-2008 07:29 AM

Women and men brains...

I was watching this show on brain research on Nat.Geo....
Ironically, males' brains work similar to autistics... All systematic and less social... Female brain on the other hand more into problem solving and more social...

They said that women talk more than men do, because they are gathering information to solve problems... Men talk less because they rather try to figure out things by understand how it works and attempt to do it by themselves...

Also females tend to fix the problem and let the rest of the working system going... While, males when introduced to a problem, tend to reverse engineer everything and try to build the system from scracth... I dunno which one is more efficient :D

I tought you ladies would like to spin some heads on this subject... :D

eryka 04-28-2008 09:27 AM

I had read something similar, about men approaching life as "solving problems" and women "building relationships." But I really think there's more variation between individuals, than between genders: if the entire range of human behavior could be rated on a scale of 1-10, all men might plot somewhere between 1 and 9, and all women may plot somewhere between 2 and 10.

blt2ski 04-28-2008 12:13 PM

My wife blames the "corpus collosum" some part of the brain that is bigger on females than males. Allows males to think about one thing at a time, where as females can multitask or some such thing.

In the end, there are differences besides the obvious!

marty

Boasun 04-28-2008 12:36 PM

You must be talking about the male lawyers

TrueBlue 04-28-2008 01:07 PM

Back in the early '90s my wife bought that cliche' book, which theorized men and woman stereotypes as Martians and Venusians. After a few months I only scanned the chapters and read a few passages, but recall reading some pretty profound associations.

An example of one theory, asserted that women complain about problems because they want their problems to be acknowledged, while men complain about problems because they are asking for solutions. But one analogy I strongly related to was the Cave and Wave.

The author made a point about how men react totally differently to levels of stress than woman. Many men withdraw until they find a solution to a problem, by "retreating to his cave". I've done this on more than one occasion, like tinkering in my garage workshop, after a discussion with my wife turns to an argument. Sort of a "time-out".

Woman go through this natural cycle referred to as a "Wave", centered around their abilities to openly give to other people. Their wave is stable when they feel full of energy and love to give to others. As this energy increases, but the love is not returned with equal intensity, their wave begins to grow until it crashes. The wave can only rise up again when she receives enough support to come out of her dark place.

I relate this theory to the reason why my wife sometimes doesn't let up with the "apparent" nagging, when things don't work out her way - and why I have a need to escape to the boat, or garage, to sort things out.

Is the power of a man's comforting embrace strong enough to subside this emotional, crashing wave, and if so, why aren't most men willing to do so during these situations?

chucklesR 04-28-2008 01:15 PM

Many, many, times I wish it was a simple as saying
" gee Honey that sucks "
(acknowledging her problem)
"here is how I'd fix it"

Grunt grunt, hammer, hammer - why isn't that enough?

Why doesn't that work and get me the gold star?

sck5 04-28-2008 01:47 PM

Dont argue with your wife. Havent you figured that out yet? Either she's right and you are dumb to argue or she isnt and wont appreciate having it pointed out. Jeez. Why do you think there are so many threads on singlehanding?

rheaton 04-28-2008 01:55 PM

A wise man once gave me advice on marrage. He said "do you want to be right, or do you want to be happy".

TrueBlue 04-28-2008 01:57 PM

Easy to say "Don't argue with your wife" sck5. But have you ever just tried to walk away before an argument gains momentum? I retreat to my man-cave and she's not done with me yet - follows me, repeating her rant until I agree to her terms.

What do we do - give them what they want, smother them with submissive hugs and kisses, before their wave crashes on us? Hard for me to do when I know I'm right . . . but haven't worked out the details to prove my point yet. :rolleyes:

rheaton - Can't we be both right and happy?

PBzeer 04-28-2008 02:00 PM

Why is it, respect and consideration, seem to be in such short supply in the modern world? Where things better before? NO. We keep screwing up the same old way, no matter how many examples we have.